Best Milk ?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Milk ?!

Recently added a coffee aspect to the family business, I'm in the process of changing coffee beans and hopefully milk.
    At the moment we are using a SUNDAY brand of coffee, and just the Coles brand milk. Personally I like the taste of the Devondale UHT Milk in my coffee, but others have made me second guess.

Best Milk ?!

I’d find a local distributor if you can. Where are you? I can’t stand UHT but that’s just me! Your best bet is to find something that appeals to your customer tastes not your own (something I try to tell cafe clients all the time!)

Comment

Hi Subasi, welcome. Probably worth putting in your profile where you are from, milk brands can be regional so no point someone sharing their favourite NT milk if you can't get it. Even your Coles milk won't come from the same dairy in WA as the Vic Coles milk.

Comment

I may have to look into that! Our main focus is not coffee, so I'm not sure if the cost of having milk delivered will be worth it at the moment, however I'm a firm believer of a nice coffee! I'm located in Melbourne, maybe I should just try a few and ask customers what they think?

Comment

Sorry! I was on the app and it didn't let me add it, however I'm using the web version now! All updated

Comment

Last few months have switched to Flerieu Milk Company , jersey premium full cream unhomogonised and love it .

Comment

Inglenook unhomogenised full cream milk from Dunnstown, VIC

Comment

Sungold Jersey seems to do the trick. I see it in alot of places.

Comment

Originally posted by coffeechris View Post
                  Sungold Jersey seems to do the trick. I see it in alot of places.
                  That's odd, I'm struggling to find a supplier 😂

Comment

A $200 investment should answer all your questions.

Get 10 of your "typical" customers together for a Saturday arvo taste and drink session.

Run around and find a pile of different milks that you can source locally, easily. The more the better. Milk is only a few dollars so get plenty of them and smash-out coffees for your customers. Give them a feed after to show a range of things you are doing and you should have all the feedback you need to get going.

Comment

Its amazing how many cafes use lower quality milk.
                      Remembering Subasi that for every 10 coffees ordered about 8 of those will be a milk based coffee.
                      AND of those on avge between 75% to 90% of any Milk Coffee by volume will be ????....Yep Milk.
                      Using Supermarket milk in a cafe is false economy imho.

So if you want to be above avge and standout with 'silk' that stretches more consistent seek out a local milk supplier WITH Protein Levels at / above 3.7% and Total Fats at 4.2% or above.
                      AND guaranteed not to have added Whey (Permeate).
                      Good Luck.
                      EA
                      PS check your Inbox.

Comment

Originally posted by anst1ssa View Post
                        Inglenook unhomogenised full cream milk from Dunnstown, VIC
                        Inglenook produce beautiful products but distribution is pretty localised. We have no trouble getting it from a handful of places but we don't live very far from their cows.

In the last month I tried a couple of different high fat, real cream on top milks (not Inglenook) and one of them tasted like cheese when it was heated.
                        ...which is why I suggested buying what you can find locally and trying them. Price and technical contents are a small part of the picture if you don't like the taste, and cheesy coffee was pretty rank!

Comment

Originally posted by larryd View Post
                          Last few months have switched to Flerieu Milk Company , jersey premium full cream unhomogonised and love it .
                          Absolutely awesome stuff; over 5% fat! Sadly I've had to switch as its harder to find in Melbourne than Sydney!

I did find the homogenised version worked much better in coffee, though.

Comment

I get Norco Organic Unhomogenised. Tastes great and is local. I reckon your local supply is always going to be better than the big chains stuff.

Comment

• sp0rk
                              sp0rk commented
                              Editing a comment
                              It's a pity more people don't know that they were a part of initiating the $1 per litre milk, though...

• richie24
                              richie24 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Didn't know that, might switch over to Barambah Organics instead. Thanks for the tip.

• flynnaus
                              flynnaus commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Norco supplies Coles for its home brand milk but it was Coles ' decision to set the price at $1 per litre, not Norco's. Last year, Norco increased its payment to dairy farmers but Coles at first refused to increase its price to help cover that increase.
                              I reckon it's ok to continue to buy the Norco branded milk

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/20...price/10878346
                          Working...
                          X