DAVID MAKINS WBC BLEND

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAVID MAKINS WBC BLEND

We have been bombared with requests for Davids Blend that we prepared at the WBC in Berne this May. It is a modification to the blend structure that was used in the Australian Finals to better tailor its perfomance to the machine temperature and water condition.

Contains Uganda Bugusi AA, Papua New Guinea Kimel A, Brazil Macabus Natural Pulped, Indian Monsoon Malabar & Indian AB Parchment Robusta. This will be roasted to order with a roast date included on each pack.

We have made it available on our website for secure online shopping
    www.venezianocoffee.com.au/shoppingcart.php $17.50 per 500gm bag.

Re: DAVID MAKINS WBC BLEND

Great idea!

Comment

Hey guys,

I just picked up a few kg of this for Maling Room this weekend. Does anyone have any suggestions for how we should dose it or whether it prefers a hot or a cold temp?

Cant wait to - finally - try it.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Okay, cool, weve more or less done this one to death.

Andrew bought 2.5kg of this. Playing with it over all this time has been a fascinating experience. Right from the get go, the shots were schweet. Really full and syrupy, with monster crema. For the first few days, it was good, but not harmonious. The malabar was quite dominant. Sort of peanutty, caramelly, I guess. Hard to imagine it getting the scores that it got at the WBC. It definitely needed more time to sit.

Flash forward to the 12th day and just as I was dialling it in, Dave walks into the cafe with a few friends and orders coffee. Damn. Anyhoo, he thought that it was tasting good, which was interesting because Id bumped it to 94.7C instead of the 93 or so that it was at the WBC. Which seems to reiterate my point that temperature measurement is useful insofar as it serves your tastebuds, and not the other way around. The malabar had calmed down a bit and the Kimel was now speaking up, leaving a great, crisp, clean aftertaste that persisted for ages. Nathan and I agreed that the taste of the actual shot was very toffee-like. It was also great in milk, with the sweetness of the espresso pairing perfectly with the sweetness of the milk.

Oh well, I guess that those that ripped it open too early wont have been all that happy with it. Andrew only has half a bag or so to get him through the next few days. Ive got a little bit left, which Ive been able to get to taste relatively similar to at work by using my normal temp surf, but by turning on the heating element for an extra 10 seconds immediately after it switched off. But I dont know if this will work on everyones silvia.

I really think that this would make a fantastic commercial blend. It is exceptionally easy to work with, performing as well in a tight ristretto as in a milk drink or a faster espresso. It has been a real eye-opener vis-a-vis the possibilities for my own blends.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Really enjoyed playing with Davids and Peters blend. Im sure we did it justice and the shots were looking great. On the 14-15th day it was still coming out great. Its very easy to work with, but it has to be 11-15 days old to get the most out of it. Run out and have no more!

Andrew

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys... it is a coffee that requires time to settle and it was our aim to take our coffees to the WBC at 11+ days we are really trying to satsify specific criteria for the comp. The ageing is some what refelective of policies with our commercial blends. We degas for 2 days, then pack and let rest for another 5 and then off to our customers.

Already at work for nexts years blend have cupped and procured some outstanding origins.

Thanks again guys

Peter

Comment

Im sure you did it justice Andy, the shot you pulled me on the 13th day was great.
              Picked up some myself today...hope i dont get tempted to open it too soon.

Comment

Originally posted by takeaim link=1149628611/0#6 date=1153309094
                Im sure you did it justice Andy, the shot you pulled me on the 13th day was great.
                Picked up some myself today...hope i dont get tempted to open it too soon.
                I just received my first order of the blend today, along with my new grinder! Hopefully Ill have the grinder all sorted in a week and then I can start using these yummy smelling beans!

Oh, also a question for Veneziano if they are keeping an eye on the thread, the bag doesnt seem to have a roast date anywhere (i could be wrong though) so should I just work off the Invoice date (21/08) basically being the roast date? Thanks.

Comment

We can assure you that each order is roasted the day it is shipped.

Comment

Invoice date it is then, thanks.

Now I just have to exercise some patience!

Comment

Hey guys,

Just thought that I should let you know that Daves Blend is no longer on offer. With Pete heading off to the incredible Nordic Barista Cup and a dramatic increase in the number of orders tying up the sample roaster, now was the right time to yank it ...

Dave and Pete have certainly been overjoyed and overwhelmed with the feedback and regret that we werent able to post some warning about this in advance. However, Ill bug Pete to bring it back when we open up at the building next door! Maybe it will be just the excuse that he needs to buy that quad-barrel sample roaster hes been eyeing ;P

Whatever happens, the success of this blend stands as a testament that there really are people out there who go for quality.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

HA~~~didnt realise today~~Im sure Ill try some next time

Tony

Comment

Working...
                        X