Blending for French Press/Plunger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blending for French Press/Plunger

... so does anyone have any uber-awesome french press or plunger blends that theyd like to share?

Im working on one at the moment with a bunch of kalossi in one roast and then some daterra and ethiopian (probably limmu) in another.

Cheers,

Luca

Re: Blending for French Press/Plunger

dont know if it was uber : but here goes. i roasted up some costa rican in a SO blend. one about FC and the other City+ or thereabouts. rested for about 10 days (had other beans to use up first). took it for a course grind on the ol hand grinder i just inherited and put it thru the plunger. gave it a stir and left it to brew for about 5 minutes.

im not sure if its supposed to happen, but it tasted sweet - almost like caramel nuts (praline?). quite a refreshing change from coffee pulled from the ol espresso machine.

Comment

Not a blend but...
      Yesterday Hazel told me to try roasting the Yirgacheffe lightly.
      Say just to the end of 1st crack.
      She said it will almost taste like jasmine tea.
      Plunger only.

Comment

One I like is a Panama Volcan Baru/Monsooned Malabar blend.

Very fruity, with added body from the Malabar.

This blend came about by accident, with one being dumped into the other after roasting.

Comment

This ones good in a plunger too Luca,

Its my primary coffee brewing method at the moment,

Mal.

Comment

I like single origins for plunger.

All the complex coffees are fantastic.
            Ethiopians/Africans.
            Sth Americans
            PNGs

Why blend them when you can enjoy/explore them as they were created?

Comment

Originally posted by PCR link=1169516532/0#5 date=1170241128
              I like single origins for plunger.

All the complex coffees are fantastic.
              Ethiopians/Africans.
              Sth Americans
              PNGs

Why blend them when you can enjoy/explore them as they were created?
              Yep thats fair enough PCR,

I enjoy most of my beans as SOs too. Still prefer to play around with blending though and have come up with some truly magical outcomes.... for me anyway , so Ill keep on drinking both SOs and Blends, makes life interesting ,

Mal.

Comment

just a related question. is there a roast/blend that doesnt do well in a plunger?

Comment

Not off the top of my head DB,

I tend to roast most of my beans before the onset of 2nd Crack and this lends itself to Plunger brewing more so than roasts that go well into rolling 2nd Crack. While Ive been relying on the Plunger until the little BZ is ready to run, Ive shortened my roasts quite a bit to a Medium, to Medium/Dark stage and this results in very pleasant, interesting cups from the Plunger. So I guess the main lesson here, is to pull your roasts a little earlier for dedicated Plunger brews but if you just want to try a Plunger brew now and again, then a roast intended for the Espresso machine will still be very nice out of a Plunger.

Cheers mate,
                  Mal.

Comment

This all sounds interesting, think I may resurrect my plunger, maybe a new coffee experience to keep the interests alive and kicking.

Comment

Originally posted by smoky link=1169516532/0#9 date=1172663838
                      This all sounds interesting, think I may resurrect my plunger, maybe a new coffee experience to keep the interests alive and kicking.
                      Sure, why not

Mal.

Comment

I have come up with a tri blend that suits both plunger and caffeterias.

Try this ....

35% Timor Fairtrade - Dark Roast
                        35% Panama "Gran Del Val" Rain forest Aliance cert - Dark Roast
                        30% Peru Kontiki MCM Altomayo - medium -> dark Roast

If you eva put this together taste it about 3 days after roasting and enjoy the body and the lovely fruity tones on the high end.

Comment

Originally posted by Barista Simon link=1169516532/0#11 date=1177153426
                          I have come up with a tri blend that suits both plunger and caffeterias.
                          Just a note: Caffeteria is I beleive Italian for coffee maker as Cafetiere is French for coffee maker (Plunger)
                          - not trying to be smart, just thought Id mention it.

I had a great plunger - [smiley=wink.gif] cafetiere on Saturday.

Kenya AA - Medium-Dark (usually I would have it lighter)
                          Costa Rica - Medium

The Costa Rica was fresher than the Kenya, the ratios I am not sure on as I simply topped up my grinder with CR to see what happenend. Im thinking 70% Kenya which gave it a really full, dark chocolaty flavour against the sweetness and acid of the CR.

James

Comment

Working...
                          X