Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DECAF - any decaf lovers/experts out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DECAF - any decaf lovers/experts out there?

Ciao Coffee Snobs!

OK, we all know how infinitely brilliant espresso is. Its capable of vastly more complex flavour expressions than the supposed pinnacle of fine beverages, wine. But, unless u want to go down the spit-in-the bucket road, ;D, we CSs have to live with a high-caffiene diet.

A great decaf espresso blend would be a holy grail, or in any case, great to have at night. However, Ive scoured the internet it seems that its pretty hard to get decaf green beans in Oz, most sellers only have one decaf variety. Also, detailed information about decaf espresso on the internet is fairly limited, other than explanations of all the decafination processes. Sweet Marias talks about substituting the base bean for the espresso (i.e. usually 50% Brazilian or other round, full-bodied bean) for a decaf. This sounds like a great idea.

If someone is into decaf espresso and want to share their knowledge, or If anyone knows good places to buy decaf greens, Id be very interested to hear from u.

Re: DECAF - any decaf lovers/experts out there?

Hi Richy, I dont know what youve been looking at but I know where to get some very nice swiss water decaf columbian green beans on line and at a reasonable price too, I can pm you the link if you like... Ray.

Comment

Yeah, Ive already got some SW Columbians from my local roastery. As a single origin espresso it tastes a bit acrid and thin bodied.

Comment

Ok Richy... I find my columbian sw quite ok.....

Comment

i roasted up a SWP columbian a few weeks ago in my popper, rested it for 7 days and had it as an espresso. to my surprise, it was great! nice and smooth, medium bodied and had a decent head of crema.

are you roasting yourself richy?

Comment

Hey Daily Bean. (OZI OZI OZI - World Cup champions  ;D)

Yeah I home roast everything. Took it to about 2nd crack, but it had a strange, acrid flavour - not acrid as in acidic flavours, but... almost chemical that I never get with caffinated beans. Either its a dud bean batch or Swiss Water Process imbues beans with a peculiar "funny flavour" that one just has to get used to. Its fine with a splash of with milk tho. But, even the most botched of shots taste ok with milk :P.

Comment

Hi Ricky...
              i bought some  de-caf Colombian beans from 5 Senses the other week, they are the citric acid de-caf which is, i think, not the SW method.
              did a small roast of just into 2nd rack, was nice but not exciting...
              but, did a big batch  the other day and am tickled purple with the results.
              the slow roast did wonders  
              I posted the roast profile in "home roasting", with a pic.
              contrary to most people, i took the roast more than a minute into 2nd crack, after stalling it just after 1st...
              the result is a wondrously smooth, chocolatey, lingeringly flavoured coffee, that i have either as espresso, or as lunga, or as a milk based one (sometimes with a bit of Carnation milk, how European...).
              I coarsen the grind just a touch compared to other espresso grinds, and tamp hard, particularly around the edges; the crema is great.
              I really am a de-caf convert!

good luck,
              L

Comment

richy, ahh ic. perhaps give them another go with a different roasting profile. correction to previous post, i did my roast in a convection oven for that one - nice and slow. i recently did one in the popper which im getting confused with.

i think ive had a similar experience to you with a SWP decaf peru - bought roasted. nasty tasting and that nearly made me give up on decafs... this was before i tried roasting the bean myself...

lizzie, ive been meaning to try something similar, though have not managed to get my hands on any. sounds like youre enjoying it very much !

p.s. im glad the cricket world cup is finally over...

Comment

HAHA, yeah we can get some sleep now that the World Cups over .

Ill play around with the roast profile like u suggested Dailybean. Maybe I misread the occurence of the 2nd crack and stopped the roast too early. Decaf roasting is a different beast to normal beans Ive read.

Hi Lizzie, good to hear from u. Thats remarkable that simply by increasing the roast time a bit and slowing down the roast made such a massive difference to your beans. When did your first batch hit 2nd crack? Your description of "complex and sweet with a cinnamon note in deep chocolate" certainly sounds enticing :.

Comment

heres the link to the roast-post-with-pic....

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1177511060/0#0

being  fairly new at the "home roasting" game i expected  the roast to be more difficult, and my previous experience with shop bought de-caf were not scintillating, so i was resigned to having a fairly  average, flat tasting, cup of coffee at night.
                    but, really, these beans have been a revelation, and they are getting better by the day (now 7 days post roast).
                    do i sound "over the top"? :-[   well, i am excited.... :P
                    because of caffeine-effects my coffee intake was limited to "mornings only"... this bean makes the afternoon coffee possible again, and allows me to round off the day in style, with wonderful aroma, flavour and body, espresso,short black or mach, or a choice of milkies.  that is just soooo good!
                    we will make sure there is a few kg in a stash around the place...

Dailybean: 5 Senses sell them at a great  price, PM/email  them for details. perhaps worth considering,  even with freight ?? ....

Ricky: i was surprised at how long and gentle the "cracks" were... that is why it kept  going for longer than initially planned.
                    also, we slowed the cooling down; when we had our tour of 5 Senses, Dean mentioned that in fast cooling can, in some  cases damage the structure of the sugars in the beans. so, just for the heck of trying it out, i cooled in 5-6 minutes to  hand-warm.  
                    the slow cooling let the 2nd crack continue for about 10-15 seconds after the beans were poured out of the roasting bin.

Whatever i did, it worked... now cross everything that it is repeatable!!

L

Comment

Yeah Ive also heard that fast cooling can be bad for the beans. Theres a cafe chain in Brisbane who roast their own beans and keep them in a humidity-controlled, cool room. But they said they never put the beans straight in there because it is bad for the beans to be put directly into cool conditions.

Looks like youve found the Holy Grail Lizzie - great beans minus the caffeine.

Comment

I raised the slow cooling issue quite a while back after advice from Hazel.
                        http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1152343660/131#131

Comment

I too have been looking out for more variety in my decaf. Everyone seems to have Colombian SWP and not much else. I ordered the 2 decafs 5 senses sell in green beans and they sent me a roasted sample of their decaf for comparison.
                          I havent had a chance to roast yet but I tried the sample they sent and I am thrilled! I have just finished a ristretto and the lingering flavour is just magic. None of the acrid aftertaste I usually get from other decaf; I am actually delaying having breakfast so that I can savour the aftertaste a bit longer.
                          The roast is quite dark and oily so I will try taking my decaf a bit further ( and slow it down as Lizzie has suggested)

Gavin

Comment

yay!!! another convert  ;D ;D ;D

from which de-caf was the roasted sample, Gavin?

L

PS i did another "Colombian" roast; hmmmm... see here:
                            http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1177511060/6#6

Comment

Lizzie

It is their decaf from the specialty range. They dont say what beans or process was used but it doesnt look like a swp

Gavin

Comment

Working...
                              X