Pre blend roasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre blend roasts

Was going to try a pre-blend roast and was wondering if there are any hard and fast rules with pre-blends, as in type of beans that dont work in pre blends etc.

I was going to go equal parts Ethiopian harrar, Brazil carmelo and peru grace estate.

Any thoughts welcome

Re: Pre blend roasts

Well i went ahead and roasted the afore mentioned blend and it came out nicely a little bit of unevenness but i think that is just the harrar

Comment

Hi Segrave,
      I have done one roast with blended beans and it turned out OK.
      Like you I noticed a little difference in colour but no dramas.
      I used equal parts of Zambia AA, Yirg and the Brazil Carmelo.
      I also roasted each on its own to compare a pre roast blend
      and a post roast blend.
      Ill be trying both tomorrow and if they pass Ill try and save
      some for our next pickup meet.

Ken.

Comment

whats the difference between pre and post roast blend?
        is that like mix the greens together then roast as opposed to blending after roasting?
        I found I had three wee lil bags of ITM Ugangan and Rwandan 312gms in total, they got mixed and thrown in the popper for poops and giggles, dont know how it will taste butif what I can smell of it(stuffy nose atm) it smells great! The roast looked like a can of three bean mix but I cant wait to try this out...

Comment

Originally posted by Sullo link=1180060114/0#3 date=1180099278
          is that like mix the greens together then roast as opposed to blending after roasting...
          Hi Sullo,
          You got it in one.
          I normally roast then blend as there can be differences in roast times to get
          the beans to the same roast level.
          The trick is to pick beans that have a similar roast profile and try blending then roasting.
          Its all part of the fun of home roasting.

I hope that flu hasnt prevented you from staying away from that wonderful company we both
          know and love... ;D  ;D

Cheers,
          Ken.

Comment

Originally posted by ramking link=1180060114/0#4 date=1180099747
            Originally posted by Sullo link=1180060114/0#3 date=1180099278
            is that like mix the greens together then roast as opposed to blending after roasting...
            Hi Sullo,
            You got it in one.
            I normally roast then blend as there can be differences in roast times to get
            the beans to the same roast level.
            The trick is to pick beans that have a similar roast profile and try blending then roasting.
            Its all part of the fun of home roasting.

I hope that flu hasnt prevented you from staying away from that wonderful company we both
            know and love... ;D  ;D

Cheers,
            Ken.
            Thought it mightve been the case, the three I haphazardly threw together has sorta similar times so I just held my hands in the air prayed to my god (Juan Valdez) and hoped for the best, I just liked the smell of it and wanted to see what result I got, as you said its part of the fun, once I get more greens (which im officially out of) I will actually try doing this properly.
            And yes today I finally sucumbed to what my body was telling me REST which my doc told me if I dont shake this Im heading toward pnemonia having a collapsed lung 13 months ago I should be listening to docotors but I have to be gushing blood or having a lung collapse before I listen to them. Dont worry thou they go t their pound of flesh outta me this week.

Thanks for the tips and answering my newbie question.
            Cheers
            Steve the sicko

Comment

No worries Steve,
              Now that I have my iroast running more reliably I want to try a few blended roasts
              and compare them to blending after roasting.I know, I know its just an excuse to
              fiddle and tinker with the iroast but I have to use all these green beans somehow.....

Ken.

Comment

As well as picking beans with a similar roast profile, Hazel recommends blending them a few days ahead and putting them in a plastic container until you are ready to roast them.
                To equalise their moisture content somewhat I believe.

Comment

Thanks for that tip TG. So much great info and help here.
                  Ill do that in the morning and then try a roast early next week.
                  I do love this obsession..sorry hobby..

Cheers,
                  Ken.

Comment

TG, so that means the greens you are considering blending sticking all those into a container of sorts then roast together? Is it critical to use one way valve bags on greens or are they happy enough in a standard zippy bag? I store most in those calico bags in a filing cabinet, green are more important then the files imho lol
                    sorry newbie alert here.

Comment

Greens will be fine in the calico bags as long as you store them in a dry place...avoid weather. Roasted beans are another matter.

Comment

storing green beans, intended for a blended roast, together for a few days allows the moisture content in all beans to come to a similar level, thereby making the roast more even.
                        i am not really experienced yet, having been roasting only for about 3 months now, but i have mixed most of my blends "pre-roast", purely because of time constraints.. and  have had no real troubles.
                        the only blend which looked a bit odd was the Brazil Yellow Bourbon/PNG PSC AA/ Peru Segunda Naturals and that was purely due to the Peruvian beans; however, it cupped beautiful!

L

Comment

Originally posted by Sullo link=1180060114/0#9 date=1180102273
                          TG, so that means the greens you are considering blending sticking all those into a container of sorts then roast together? Is it critical to use one way valve bags on greens or are they happy enough in a standard zippy bag? I store most in those calico bags in a filing cabinet, green are more important then the files imho lol
                          sorry newbie alert here.
                          Yes Sullo, mix together at least 3 days pre-roast.
                          A standard zippy bag will do.

Comment

Hi Sullo

When I first started I couldnt resist trying to blend beans until I was advised by Andy (and others) to stick with the SOs for a while and learn to appreciate their individual qualities. In the long run, it was excellent advice. By doing so, I learnt what SOs I particularly like, and from there began to experiment with which beans I thought might complement each other.

My current fave is:
                            75% yirg
                            20% kenyan peaberry
                            5% merthi mountain parchment robusta

All roasted individually (city roast), blended together on day 5 and not consumed till day 7.

Comment

Good ideas thanks guys,
                              Im still like a kid in a candy store with all this, trying new beans
                              Roasted up 1kg tonight the crazy poppers certainly earnt its cost today!
                              Ive started actually writing notes not only on the roasts but now whats in the cup. Making things a little easier to remember.

Comment

Working...
                              X