Suggestions for blending??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for blending??

At the moment Ive got Costa Rican Tarazu, Kenya AA, Ethiopian Yirg and Guatamalan Huehue, any clues on blending some of these would be appreciated.
    I tried 80% Kenya 20% Cost Rica and that produced a nice shot especially with milk.
    I will draw on the font of knowledge from CSers here........................ :-/

Re: Suggestions for blending??

I did a 60/40 Huehue/Kenya AA last week that was really nice both espresso and with milk.

In fact so nice I put it down as a must repeat blend.

Comment

Sounds good Rowdee I will give it a try. I love the Kenya beans as a single origin.............................

Comment

Gday Greenman, A couple of weeks ago I blended (with a pretty disappointing result, I think it needed more acidity):-

Guatemalan - 2 parts
        Ethiopian - 1 part
        Costa Rican - 2 parts

So, you could try 2 parts Costa Rican, 1 Part Guatemalan and 1 part Sumatran if you can get your hands on some....

You could substitute the Sumatran with Kenya, although I have never tried that blend.

Personally I think the Yirg is fantastic on its own. Hope that helps a little! let us know what concoction you go with and how it tastes.

Comment

I agree with you on the Yirg on its own, I have savoured every espresso and long black so far!!!

Comment

Ive been enjoying a 50% Kenya AA, 30% Costa Rica, 20%Yirg, after 4 days rest I started cupping, today I had a ristretto and it was smooth, no bitterness and left a wonderful aftertaste. I roasted them all together and got a nice even roast.

Comment

I did my second batch of El Salvador San Emilio Farm, Kenya AA and Vietnam Robusta tonight. 60/30/10.

First batch was on the weekend just into second crack. Tonights batch well into second crack.

Will post some notes on both once I have done some tasting.

Comment

Howdy Cowdys... I,ve been worrking on a "classic" espresso blend.
                Ive been using 40%-50% Brazils as a base (Monte Allegro, then Cerrado now trying Daterra Monte Christo), 30%-40% Sumatra (mandehlings...now on blue batak) and 20%-30% Africans (Yirg, Harrar "mao horse" and Yemen "bani ismail"). Ive had mixed results...but the 50% Monte Allegro/30% Mandehling/20% Bani Ismail was...sublime. But I want this to be a standard every morning blend and Yemen is so expensive and so hard to get consistently...
                Ive been roasting the Brazils to about 30sec into 2nd- looking for creme, char and dry finish, Sumatrans to b/w 1st and 2nd- looking for body, creme, syrup, choc etc and Africans to just after end of 1st- looking for acidity, fruit/wine and tang.
                Ive now got the aforementioned Brazil and Sumatran with some Ethiopian Sidamo I want to blend. Im feeling a bit stuck, thought about starting with 1/3 of each and working from there, as this is a long term project,...but thought I should seek advice.

Please comment on your thoughts about what Ive been up to so far and anything you may have learned along your path....Ahh...Im stuck!

Comment

Read through this as a foundational guide, I reckon, for blending tips ...

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1177985940

Then, enjoy your experimentational journey ahead!

Tony

Comment

Thanks Tony,...very useful indeed. I would never of thought of things such as similar roast levels/bean density within a blend as being a factor by myself.
                    Apart from the fact that it tastes good, I think the thing I enjoy most about coffee is that the more I learn, the more I realise I dont know...its constantly humbling and fulfilling at the same time.
                    So, back to the drawing board it is...but I think I will persist with a 3 bean blend despite what Im sure is very good advice. I drink mostly S.O anyway so Im slowly learning a bit about bean/origin character and how a roast develops/alters it along the way..., so hopefully this serves me well in developing my sig. blend!
                    Thanks again, Anthony

Comment

I just did a 50-50 blend of MTC Budja and PNG Peaberry. It is now at 5 days post roast, and I have to say I am really impressed.
                      Actually I was experimenting with it and thought they both have a very similiar taste, (although the PNG is slightly more nuttier) if it doesnt work out at least I have given it a go!

Leaves a nice smooth taste at the end.

I will give this one a 7/10 [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

-Linda

Comment

Good one Linda, that is the trick... experiment!

Its the only way to find something truely great that suits your own taste.

You scored it 7/10, try and think of what would improve it. Body? Aroma? Spice? Maybe it will be next week, or the week after but you will come across something that "goes DING" and you can see its place in a previous blend.

...and if it doesnt work out, change it and try again!

Comment

Ive just roasted a 4 bean blend. 40% Colombian Voltan Galeras, 20% Yemen Bani Ismail, 20% Peru Villa Grace, 20% PBG Kinjibi. I took it out slowly and reached first crack at 13.02 at 185C then slowed it down to second crack at 19.36 at 210C. I pulled it a start of 2nd and it was CS 8-9, nice even roast. Its my first 4-bean roast so Ill see how it turns out, Ill pull a shot tomorrow after 24 hours rest and report on how it performs.

Comment

That blend should work really well Greenman, nice gentle roast profile too. I expect this will be a stunner and will set a new bar height for your future roasts.

The Silvia will sing over the next few days!

Comment

Sounds great Andy, I will give it a try today.

Comment

Working...
                              X