Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plunger and Drip coffee blends & roasts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plunger and Drip coffee blends & roasts?

Hi there,

I have been giving friends some fresh roasted coffee for their plungers and drip machines etc
    and wondered what is best for these? Are espresso blends suitable as long as you change the grind? Also what is the best grind for Plunger/Drip?

Cheers guys ! 8-)

Re: Plunger and Drip coffee blends & roasts?

A nice PNG roasted to before 2nd crack, like the PNG Kimel is a nice one.. or an African Variety, lightly roasted like the PNG.. the Plunger/\/Filter brew method smooths out the acidity of the lighter roast and bring body...

This is my experience anyway...

Comment

Hi redzone I have a friend who wants some coffee for his dripper and Im thinking some Png Kinjibi and some Ethiopian Limmu, dont know if it will work but he has left it up to me to come up with something

Comment

martybean, this is a good option... Ive been plungering a limu lately and its very worthy in a plunger/\/drip blend....

Comment

I have put a few trials through the filter including some espresso blends, just been pulling them out of the roaster at the start of SC.
          I guess it depends what you like !

Comment

Try pull the roast just before 2C ... youll be surprised in the extra flavour and smoothness that comes from lighter roasts in Plunger/\/Filter...Im drinking Ethiopian Limu on this type of roast through the plunger at work and its wonderful.

Comment

Sounds like an Idea I will do that Marcs

Comment

I cleaned my grinder recently and while adjusting it did a coarse grind so rather than waste it I got the plunger out of starage and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the brew. It was a Colombian/Malawi 60/40 and was very smooth, good mouthfeel and lingering aftertase. If I go on holiday Ill take my spare Sunbeam grinder, plunger and some home roasted beans=good coffee!!

Comment

Originally posted by redzone121 link=1206578798/0#0 date=1206578798
                  Also what is the best grind for Plunger/Drip?
                  That is a great question redzone!

I have been asked by a friend of mine, if I could supply some roasts that I have done for them to try, and they have a plunger.

On the mazzer, what is the best grind for this? Course or fine?

-Linda

Comment

On the mazzer, what is the best grind for this? Course or fine?

Im no expert Linda, but I seem to recall someone posted some tips a while back and I think it said the longer the coffee is exposed to the water the coarser the grind

Comment

I work on...

Plunger - as fine as you can without getting "Turkish coffee mud" in the bottom of the cup. (courser than filter, nearly table salt)

Filter - as fine as you can without blocking the filter (finer than plunger, a little courser than espresso)

Both of these can vary a lot depending on what you are using, there a differences between different plunger brands and between filter papers so if you are ginding for yourself then its easier to know the sweet spots.

Comment

Hi redzone,
                        for my home plunger I grind somewhere inbetween " flour and sand" but for the plunger at work (its a cheapie) I grind coarser than this because as Andy mentioned there is the "mud" factor which is nice to avoid.

cheers
                        Ian

Comment

Pic trial

Comment

Working...
                          X