Flavored Coffee??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flavored Coffee??

Ok, so i hate flavored coffee. why call it coffee if your going to flavor it vanilla? anyway since ive started home roasting and selling to friends theyre all asking me about french vanilla and creme brulle blah blah blah...to make some of them happy im willing to try adding these "flavors" to my coffee (in my opinion screwing it up). so the question...where do i find these flavors? can i use the same monin flavor syrups that make flavored mochas what they are? what do i use and where do i find it??

thanks so much
    (im new to this site and am looking forward to exchanging stories and ideas)

Re: Flavored Coffee??

Welcome! A quick site search revealed this:

Originally posted by Pioneer Roaster link=1198199258/0#3 date=1198210204
    It is a nasty proccess!!! At a previous position we made flavoured coffees. It involves baking a syrup into the beans. We used 100ml of flavour to coat 15 Kg, so its potent. You take the beans from the roaster while they are hot, and mix the flavour through. We had to do it in a contained room with extractors, wear face masks and elbow high gloves, and we used to draw straws to see who got the horrible job.

If you are going to go for flavours, the syrups you add to each cup are much better.
    Personally, I wouldnt let flavoured coffee near my grinder!

Comment

hrrmmm sounds like i REALLY dont wanna mess with this stuff. i was hoping i could just coat some kinda syrup onto the beans after they roast and then let that syrup dry...thanks for the prompt reply!

Comment

Try this link ...

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1198199258

Comment

Its actually really easy but hard work to make large qtys, i can vouch for the quality as i wouldnt try it.

Have have done this but now refuse to do it for friends as its a pain in the butt.
          The process is to roast a small batch aiming for 200gm finished roast and then tip the roast into a SS bowls and start spraying the essessnce onto the beans while stirring until they look suitibly covered.

The essence cools the beans down and coats the beans. You get stacks of steam and it stinks.

It is tricky to know exactly how much and i never got exactly the same result twice but the people who tried the coffee liked it. They drank it as plunger coffee.

The essence i used was regular supermarket essence of vanilla, using the cheap flavour. Used neat with no dilution.

I am sure anyone with a trained palate wouldnt touch the stuff.

All part of the coffee experience i guess.

Mal

Comment

Tell them to buy real liqueurs and just add a few ml to the cup. Its actually cheaper this way than to use the coffee flavourings!
            Greg
            ps--I like Irish Mist in my iced coffee.

Comment

I agree with Greg - on no account alter the beans if you can possibly avoid it, add the syrup / liquor to the bottom of the cup before adding the coffee - and that way everyone is happy!

Pat

Comment

actually for a while now Ive been debating the theory of "truffling" coffee. That is, by storing a decent amount of coffee beans (one batch just off the roast, one batch green) with some authentic truffles to see how well the flavour imparts (like has been done for centuries with eggs, rice etc).
                The main thing holding me back is just the cost, and little context (besides satifying my own interest).

Comment

truffle flavoured coffee!! seriously?

Comment

Mmmm "coffee" flavoured coffee ;D

Sorry - I couldnt resist! : There is more than enough flavoures in a SO bean IMO, but each to their own and I think adding the syrup to each cup seems to be the most popular choice (these are redibly available from many cafes/ coffee shops) for those who choose to mess with a drink that already has incredibly complex flavours in its purest form, ie. straight from the bean.

Comment

I am loath to add syrups to good coffee. If I wanted to use a syrup I would make a milkshake!!!

Comment

Why dont you try a real vanilla pod to flavour your coffee? Cut the pod down the centre, scrap all the black seeds out of the pod, and then infuse seeds & empty pod with organic caster sugar and a little water, bring to the boil then simmer until syrup like - making a sugar syrup, then spray over your hot coffee beans.

The best plump vanilla pods come from the Vital Ingredient. Supermarket vanilla pods are stale, too dry, and have no volume of seeds.

Comment

Originally posted by mahalia link=1213247012/0#11 date=1220972999
                          Why dont you try a real vanilla pod to flavour your coffee? Cut the pod down the centre, scrap all the black seeds out of the pod, and then infuse seeds & empty pod with organic caster sugar and a little water, bring to the boil then simmer until syrup like - making a sugar syrup, then spray over your hot coffee beans.

The best plump vanilla pods come from the Vital Ingredient. Supermarket vanilla pods are stale, too dry, and have no volume of seeds.
                          Hi Mahalia

Id be worried that techinique might eventually clag up the coffee grinder. Along your train of thought though, processing the vanilla bean with sugar then adding that directly to the cup might create the same effect. Then again, might as well just buy a syrup.

Comment

I was in the same boat as you so recently picked up a hazelnut syrup off a forum sponsor CoffeeHit (http://coffeehit.com.au/) and everyone is happy

Comment

The Vanilla Bean in sugar is a good idea it adds great flavour and smells fantastic to. Next time you use a vanilla bean just put the pod in with some castor sugar in an airtight container and in a few days it will be good to go. Chefs around the world have been doing this for years and the flavour is more pure & deeper than syrup - which is oftern just an imitation flavour essence.

Another option is to do the same thing but instead of using the vanilla pod add cinnamin sticks instead.

Failing that Im with Greg W go the liquors!

Hope you all have a fantastic weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X