Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coffeesnobs brownbean sample pack, any good blends

Hi guys
    I just got one of those sample packs of beans, with the 4x250g packs of different single origin beans. Can anyone recommend any blends I can make with these beans?

Re: coffeesnobs brownbean sample pack, any good bl

What dya get in the sample pack? (Theyre not always the same )

Comment

Wow that was a quick reply

*nige runs downstairs to check*

Malawi Mzuzu Khanga Gesha AA

Brazil Premium Bourbon

PNG Wahgi AA

Ethiopian Limmu

Thats what I have got, sorry didnt realise they differed (I didnt order them, a friend did and we shared the post on two packs)

Im a bit of a newbie at blending so I have no idea, thought if the packs were all the same there may have been some idea as to what worked already, but any suggestions are more than appreciated

Comment

Oh and I have only tried the Malawi beans so far, and they themselves were heaps nicer than the the beans I have been using up until now, which have gone downhill of late!

Comment

Personally, Id have all these beans seperate. Theyre great stand alone beans.

But if you did blend them, Id have to let someone else answer that. I like to try and appreciate each SO as they are. I rarely blend, and am also a newbie at that!

Comment

I agree with YeeZa,

Id definitely get to know them as individuals first. Someone else might have some tips for a blend, but nothing is jumping out at me - they should all be fantastic by themselves.

Comment

I like blending
              If you like milk based drinks try 50/50 of

Brazil Premium Bourbon & PNG Wahgi AA

KK

Comment

Love the Wahgi all by itself

I got some brown in a sample pack a few months ago and have been roasting some of my 5kg stash of this one since. It goes great for milk based drinks and also in a syphon.

Comment

OK Cool thanks all.  The Malawi one is great, im finishing off my last bag of beans now so i can get to know the CS beans more.   I shall enjoy these as SO then!

Comment

Get to know the SO! :P

Comment

Welcome "azenis".... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Im in the "Get to know em as Single Origins before considering any kind of blend." camp. All the beans supplied by Andy are superlative varietals in their own right, although to get the best out of them, other brewing methods aside from espresso should be experimented with. For example... Try the "Brazil Premium Bourbon" as a Drip or Syphon brew first; youll experience the full but subtle flavour profile they have to offer which might otherwise get lost with espresso. In fact, you could try this brewing method for all the beans to kick off with as this is a great way to explore the full flavour potential on offer from any varietal you ever buy.

The other beans do make excellent S.O. brews as espressos though and providing you do your part on the end of the PF handle, the complexity and intensity of an espresso brew of the flavours on offer will blow your socks off. If you do want to dabble with a bit of blending after exploring the beans individually, the best way to do this is to try simple 50/50 blends direct into your grinder of amounts that you will immediately grind and brew. If you make notes of your taste impressions (cupping) as you go, your experimentation will mean something at the end of the day and arm you with information for further blend refinement later on.

For me though, I wouldnt get too hung up on the need to blend, as there really is no need. Enjoy the beans for what they are, learn to adjust your technique and process then observe how slight variations in the application of the brewing process affect the outcome "in the cup". At the end of the day, this is the only thing that counts. Anyway mate, experimenting is par for the course where great coffee is concerned and the journey is a hell of a lot of fun ;D. All the best, and

Happy brewing,
                      Mal.

Comment

Same here...rarely blend yet.

Slight variations in the roasting process can also change the taste.

Comment

The PNG Wahgi and ethipion limmu are very good and you should really get to know them first.

Comment

Working...
                          X