Robusta blend.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robusta blend.

Roasted some Brazil Original Bourbon blended with 10% Monsoon Robusta, will be interested to taste the results in a few days. :-/

Re: Robusta blend.

i rate that monsooned robusta, good gear.

Comment

I too rate the monsoon robusta

As well as the cherry AB and Ottuman estate. The Ugandan is nice too.

Im yet to try any of the Vietnamese robustas but i dont think i ever will for moral reasons. They were part of the cause for Brazil burning a large amount of green beans in an effort to keep a steady price in the 80s after Vietnam flooded the market with very cheap and extremely bad quality robusta...but to no avail

Comment

You guys are getting my hopes up, few days before I get to try it, for what its worth the aroma escaping from the valve seems quite different to what Im used to. :-/

Comment

Couldnt wait, tried it as a cappuccino tonight and it was excellent, Im very pleased with the result, lots of very dark crema and intense flavour, will be interesting to see how it goes as a short black, leaving that till tomorrow.

Comment

Tried it as a long black this morning, quite disappointing, cant exactly pinpoint what was lacking but certainly not to my liking.
            The result as a short black this afternoon was pretty good, totally different to the SOs I am accustomed to but very intense, good crema and excellent flavour.
            So, as a cappuccino excellent, long black not so good and short black well above average, guess 2 out of 3 aint too bad.

Comment

Hey Jon,

I imagine it would not be a good drip or plunger brew either?

I think adding a small portion of a Kenyen or Ethiopian would brighten it up enough to come across as a long black.... if you have any roasted just put a sprinkle in the grinder when you poor the Brazillian/ robusta blend in and see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by 48716F615B43040 link=1261014732/6#6 date=1261254245
                Hey Jon,

I imagine it would not be a good drip or plunger brew either?

I think adding a small portion of a Kenyen or Ethiopian would brighten it up enough to come across as a long black.... if you have any roasted just put a sprinkle in the grinder when you poor the Brazillian/ robusta blend in and see how it goes.
                Interesting observation Luke, am drinking a long black made with this blend now, it has a (muddy) taste almost like percolated coffee thats been allowed to brew far too long, perhaps even a touch burnt, the beans were a nice even roast, stopped at the first hint of second crack, so not over done.
                Take your point about adding some Kenyan/Ethiopian, brighten up is a good term, it certainly lacks something, dont have any roasted to add, maybe will roast a small batch later.
                (I imagine it would not be a good drip or plunger brew either?)
                Might brew some in the siphon later on to find out.
                Thanks for your thoughts.

Comment

Add another commercial coffee company that uses BOTH Arabica and Robusta with a unique roasting style to create an espresso blend that is superior.

Comment

Originally posted by 16343D3D3E3E18343D3D5B0 link=1261014732/8#8 date=1333176187
                    BOTH Arabica and Robusta with a unique roasting style to create an espresso blend that is superior.
                    Superior to what? :-?

Comment

Originally posted by 725059595A5A7C5059593F0 link=1261014732/8#8 date=1333176187
                      Add another commercial coffee company
                      Who would that be? :-/

Comment

I have had some Robusta Parchment greens for quite a while now and I'm very reluctant to place any more than about 2% in any blend as I consider it rubbish. However, having said that, I am prepared to listen to anyone who does have a blend that it could be used in.

Comment

Hello Divey, if roasted correctly I'd be surprised if you could even taste the addition of 2% of any bean in a blend. The inclusion of a fair amount of the Indian parchment robusta in blends has won a number of awards in roasting competitions and based on that, I don't think the idea that it is rubbish is a popular belief.

There are a number of coffees that aren't to my taste, and often wonder if it isn't more about the roasting process than the quality of the bean. I think there is a consensus of opinion that recommends roasting robusta separately, darker, and roasting it as long as two weeks prior to introducing it to a blend.

I couldn't be bothered with that and would suggest a number of other commercial roasters who use robusta don't either. So I pre blend then roast and have always been pleased with the results.

Hope that helps in some way.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis View Post
                            "and roasting it as long as two weeks prior to introducing it to a blend"
                            Wow! I'd have to take annual leave to roast robusta in the corretto then LOL :-)

Comment

Working...
                            X