KJMs house blend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KJMs house blend

With some trepidation I offer this back to the community - the finely honed house blend. This has been the result of endless slaving away at the roaster... yada yada yada....

Seriously: I have a (small) problem at home - Mrs. KJM only drinks lattés, I drink kind-of anything and one of the daughters only drinks espresso. So my personal predilection to single origin assorted roasts has on occasion drawn the odd reproachful look :-[

Hence my quest for a consistently "nice" milk/espresso blend to keep all the troops happy.

Being a lazy arse time conscious sort of person, this particular blend is very surprising in that I co-roast - every bean in the same batch! Just whack it in!

Anyway, the roast profile for me (I use a Gene) is hard and fast to 1C then adjust back to a 4 minute gap before 2C and pull before 2C starts...

The bill (for a 250g batch of green):
    60g Peru Ceja de Silva
    50g Guatamalan Huehuetenango
    80g Ethiopian xxx
    60g Indonesion yyy

Now - Ive tried this with pretty much every Ethiopian bean I have and every Indo bean I have and the flavour profile does change, but it remains delightfully smooth. Silky in fact.

Substituting the Hue for other Centrals works too.

The complexity of the bill is the result of a significant amount of playing about. But the variations when you substitute a single component arent all that great (noticible, but not that big).

The thing that surprises me (and Hazbean - who has been the victim client of this blend on numerous occasions) is that the roast is nicely even - despite the Ethiopian (wheres the oxy set) and the Peruvian (lets be gentle...). No obvious defects - tipping etc.

Anyway, it is a nice blend. Needs about a week to sit, post-roast. OK at 4 days but better (depending on what youre looking for) at 7 days. My eldest daughter keeps this for 14 days and says it is best at about 10-14 days (mine dont last that long!!).

Anyhow, for what its worth - there it is. The ultimate KJM secret

/Kevin

Re: KJMs house blend

Originally posted by 19181F520 link=1287301980/0#0 date=1287301980
    Anyhow, for what its worth - there it is.The ultimate KJM secret

I knew it

Comment

Originally posted by 4345525943445C5E370 link=1287301980/1#1 date=1287312742

I knew it  
      Darn. Now I have to kill you

Seriously though - it actually is quite nice! And surprisingly repeatable (as in 3 x 250g batches a week.....)

/Kevin

Comment

Thanks Kev, I have some of all the beans you mention, may just roast a batch of your signature blend this weekend

Regards, Steve

Comment

Hmmm - Ive given a couple of bags to some workmates last week/week before. Just got some feedback on it - both very happy campers. Seems the 2 week old blend suits the latté fiends with a "really rich coffee/chocolate" note.

BTW: The concept for the somewhat complex blend grew out of the well documented "espresso" blend recipes you see all over the place. Ive just played about with the proportions and done things like split the "base" beans from generic brazil into the Ceja + Hue to suit.

The roast depth (now Ive found the safe place my CS card was put in : ) is CS8-9. At the lighter end of that spectrum leaving the beans to sit quietly for a week is pretty essential. At the CS9 level the 4 or so days works kind-of OK.

The fact that this is an all-in roast with HARD beans (Ethiopian = rocks...) and soft and doesnt seem to result in tipping/burning/yuck beans is the most surprising thing to me. But I guess that is the Engineer in me...

/Kevin

Comment

Great work KJM  [smiley=thumbsup.gif],

There is nothing better than having your peers wax lyrical about your beans. With such a high quality base, youd struggle to go wrong...

You will find that Central/Indian bases often work well too...

Happy roasting!

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 7F4A47407468444D4D4E4E2B0 link=1287301980/5#5 date=1287486585
              Great work KJM  [smiley=thumbsup.gif],

There is nothing better than having your peers wax lyrical about your beans. With such a high quality base, youd struggle to go wrong...

You will find that Central/Indian bases often work well too...

Happy roasting!

Chris
              Hmmmm. I seem to have been responsible for a certain level of coffee corruption of some of my peers...

The two workmates I make coffee for now no longer drink the coffee in the tea room (we have a 2 group Wega machine...). They both only drink the KJM supplied beans..... Which is fine by me, but does cause angst when I manage to forget to bring the beans in.. :-[

Apropos the Central/Indian blend base - I do use Tiger Mountain. In fact, I like ITM as a SO. But that seems to be my practical limit. Mysore Nuggets have never impressed (either as a bean or as the Oz colloquial... :)

/Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by 537170711E0 link=1287301980/3#3 date=1287360591
                Thanks Kev, I have some of all the beans you mention, may just roast a batch of your signature blend this weekend

Regards, Steve
                Not wishing to seem pushy - did you do that and if you did how is it tasting??

(Im really curious to see if this is repeatable by someone other than me!).

Cheers
                /Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by 737275380 link=1287301980/7#7 date=1288492193
                  Not wishing to seem pushy - did you do that and if you did how is it tasting??

(Im really curious to see if this is repeatable by someone other than me!).
                  Sorry Kevin, yep did roast as I posted............all gone Nice :-/ Yep, delicious . Did I detect flowers, hints of cinnamon, cloves & berries :-/ :-/ fraid not :-[ It just tasted like wonderful coffee to me :-[ Sorry but I cant give you further insight into it except that I enjoyed it and will certainly use your recipe again.

Steve

Comment

Re: KJMs house blend - KJM Plus

Tried a roast of this morning:

120g Peru Ceja de Selva
                    100g Honduras Los Bancos
                    160g Ethiopian Harrar Star
                    120g Sumatran Mandheling Mystic

with 35g of Indian Mudhikeri robusta (about 5.5%) for good measure - hence KJM Plus (or KJM Super as I think Ill call it)

Came out well -pulled just into 2nd crack. The roast turned out much more even than the photo appears.

Comment

Originally posted by 39332631313E2A2C5F0 link=1287301980/9#9 date=1289001370

120g Peru Ceja de Selva
                      100g Honduras Los Bancos

with 35g of Indian Mudhikeri robusta (about 5.5%) for good measure - hence KJM Plus (or KJM Super as I think Ill call it)

Came out well -pulled just into 2nd crack. The roast turned out much more even than the photo appears.
                      Hmmm - can I ask a question on the Robusta? Ive never had any to play with. Ive always wondered exactly why people add it to blends. I understand it increases crema (you dont need to for this blend, IMHO). The additional "caffeine" is going to be minimal; so it has to be for taste and Ive never gotten a decent handle on exactly what it adds :-/

And I know I could just go get a bag and try, but my bean stash is stupidly large and Im trying to cut it back, rather than increase!

Anyway - be interested to hear how it tastes!!

Cheers
                      /Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by 507273721D0 link=1287301980/8#8 date=1288909351
                        Sorry Kevin, yep did roast as I posted............all gone Nice :-/ Yep, delicious . Did I detect flowers, hints of cinnamon, cloves & berries :-/ :-/ fraid not :-[ It just tasted like wonderful coffee to me :-[ Sorry but I cant give you further insight into it except that I enjoyed it and will certainly use your recipe again.

Steve
                        Hey - glad it worked out OK. The tasting descriptions of SO coffees I can usually agree with the "florid" notes those with impeccable palates provide, but Ive never really found that with blends.

Seems to me the blending process kind-of muddies the tasting waters. Which is something I find a bit boring at times (hence I roast SOs too - it is just me that drinks them here :-?).

Nevertheless - the flavour profile does change with time. During the second week the sort-of chocolate flavours seem to peak, for example. Keeping some beans for > 1 week is pretty difficult for me though!

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it!

Cheers
                        /Kevin

Comment

Looks like an interesting mix. Ill make a note to try it at some point in the future since I dont have those particular beans here - pretty sure I have most at my other warehouse parents house

Comment

Originally posted by 5B514453535C484E3D0 link=1287301980/9#9 date=1289001370

120g Peru Ceja de Selva
                            100g Honduras Los Bancos
                            35g of Indian Mudhikeri robusta (about 5.5%)
                            Just down to my last shot of this and congratulations on coming up with this blend KJM. Quite enjoyable and definitely worthy of trying again. Lovely creamy texture that lingered for quite a while. Smooth range of tastes that worked together well.

I started drinking from Day 7 with some fruitiness of the Harrar coming through but not much else happening. The other beans started kicking in at Day 9 and, as typical of my preferences, was best from Day 10 right up to Day 12 - today.

I ended up giving some to a colleague, otherwise I would have liked to have enough to last the full 2 weeks when the robusta tends to kick in.

Id say the Huehue may work better than the Honduran bean. There was a somewhat unusual flavour in there, and I think a bean that would add a little more choc would work better.

The robusta would likely work better roasted separately and a couple of days earlier so it is 2 weeks old when the rest of the blend hits Day 10. To my taste, the 5% proportion I used was about right. But a separate robusta roast would also let me see how the KJM blend works on its own, as KJM presented them and then see what extra the robusta does contribute.

But well done KJM. This is a winnerblend and, as you say, will stand using different Ethiops and Indos.

Comment

Originally posted by 444E5B4C4C435751220 link=1287301980/13#13 date=1290028763

Just down to my last shot of this and congratulations on coming up with this blend KJM. Quite enjoyable and definitely worthy of trying again. Lovely creamy texture that lingered for quite a while. Smooth range of tastes that worked together well.

I started drinking from Day 7 with some fruitiness of the Harrar coming through but not much else happening. The other beans started kicking in at Day 9 and, as typical of my preferences, was best from Day 10 right up to Day 12 - today.

I ended up giving some to a colleague, otherwise I would have liked to have enough to last the full 2 weeks when the robusta tends to kick in.

Id say the Huehue may work better than the Honduran bean. There was a somewhat unusual flavour in there, and I think a bean that would add a little more choc would work better.

The robusta would likely work better roasted separately and a couple of days earlier so it is 2 weeks old when the rest of the blend hits Day 10. To my taste, the 5% proportion I used was about right. But a separate robusta roast would also let me see how the KJM blend works on its own, as KJM presented them and then see what extra the robusta does contribute.

But well done KJM. This is a winnerblend and, as you say, will stand using different Ethiops and Indos.
                              Gee - I feel almost embarrassed at that! Glad people are finding it worthwhile though!

Ive been studiously evaluating the period of +1week for this blend since I posted it. Seems to me (not that Ive got the palate to end all palates..) that the chocolate complexity (that Mrs KJM revels in..) seems to magically appear about 1 week in. Real sea-change in the flavours.

Did a mega-batch of "this" blend last week - with Yemeni beans substituted for the Ethiopian (because I had just enough Yemenis left for this sized batch... 8-) ). Tried it today and it is not as smooth and silky as the Ethiopian version (yet). Ill wait and see and report this one back too!

Cheers
                              /Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X