Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre blend. Saves time

Comment

• I pre-blend nearly all the time. Put the beans together the day before if I remember (they get to know each other a bit before being executed). The only exception is if one the component beans is a bit unusual (e.g. small / partic. soft).

Comment

• Pre blend just before.
        but also tastes great whenrofether for up to a week. after reading similar on CS

Comment

• Originally posted by JWILL View Post
          but also tastes great whenrofether for up to a week.
          Ahh, the famous mediaeval Welsh king and roaster, Whenrofether the Great.

Comment

• Originally posted by magnafunk View Post
            Did a variation of KJM's famous, 900g of Ethiopia Sidamo Ardi Naturals taken to around 3 degrees before second crack, then 520g Honduras Montana de Comayagua,
            640g each of Elephant Hills Monsoon & Peru Ceja de Selva, divided in half and co roasted to first snaps of second crack. Set aside 70g of Ardi for a litre of filter then combined the rest and it's an absolute ripper. For the first week it was pretty good, now sitting at 2 weeks post roast and I'm loving it so much I just roasted another 2.7kg. A good bit of fruit and spice with a really heavy body, my wife seems to like it well enough in soy, I can't stop at one ristretto (normally a long black drinker throughout the day).

Thanks for the recipe KJM, I've roasted a number of different beans with your ratios, this is probably my favourite so far
            Bean having a bit of trouble with my roasting as of late, I think my thermocouple may be on the fritz. Bearing this in mind I did my latest beanbay order with these beans as I'm pretty familiar with them and can fly blind if the software isn't telling me the same thing as my eyes and nose.

Well I'm glad I did, as although I was lucky enough to not have any issues with the thermocouple, I'd forgotten just how much I love this blend. I must admit I don't normally get much aroma straight off the bean cooler but the smell of this blend makes me drunk. I think it's the EH monsoon combined with the ardi (coroasting smaller batches these days). Don't think these will be getting much rest time, I'll likely be into them tomorrow morning.

As a side note, getting my first pay cheque having not worked for 5 months, I also treated myself to some of the recently sold out Yemen mocha Ismaili. Does anyone use this as a component of the kjm blend or do you just treat yourself to it as an SO? I guess I can try both!

Thanks again for the inspiration Kevin, this particular variation of your blend is one of my favourite coffees I've had

Comment

• Hello All, just wanting to share my joy from the first KJM blend I roasted over the weekend and tasted yesterday. After roasting using my crazy popper for the last 3 years on various beans, I was 'quite' happy with the results - no burnt beans and reasonable coffee. It was until recently when I did a bit more searching in the forum that I found 'KJM'. Bought some beans from Andy, mixed with some existing stock to roast to KJM and wow.....a pleasing journey - smell good after roasting, better during grinding and tasted really good with milk or as an expresso. Really looking forward to enjoying this batch and roast many more thereafter. Thanks Kevin.

I'm now looking to PID my silvia after reading some posts on this. Will jump to the PID section for more advice and get going !

Comment

• This is next on my radar, any idea what roast profile I should do on the bhemor 1600?

Comment

• cheungy
                  cheungy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi Rami, I have the same question, so far I've roasted 2 batches using auto 200/P3/D (15 mins) roasting 250g batch. Rationale is based on the bean type, centrals and Asian. Pretty good so far. What profiles have you tried? Manual or Auto? Some of the beans in the original recipe are no longer available, so here's my mix which I tried matching as close as possible

Ethiopia Harrar Longberry (80g)
                  Guatemala Jacaltenango SHB (50g)
                  Peru Ceja de Selva AAA (60g)
                  Indonesia West Java Gr1 (60g)

Cheers

• Barry O'Speedwagon
                  Barry O'Speedwagon commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If you are going to use a standard profile, then (400) P2 B is a good allrounder. This can be tweaked by overriding at the point the power is dropped to keep power at 75%. It really depends whether your base African bean benefits from a slower start. The P3 D as above also makes sense, but may not suit the Central SHB so much.

• Rami
                  Rami commented
                  Editing a comment
                  barry

Would you use the 400 profile to roast 250g beans? Or do you scale up the recipe

• I started using Kevin's KJM formula when I purchased my new roaster and was looking at pre-blending for efficiency. I haven't looked back since, I have developed several blends over a decade and have substituted beans due to availability and searching for new flavour sensations, family and friends love these blends and they have stood the test of time.
                Thank you Kevin for the knowledge and inspiration--CHEERS MATE!!!!!

Comment

• I've been roasting the KJM in my Behmor for a couple of years now and is pretty much the only blend I do. Today was roast number 220 of which the vast majority have been KJM.
                  My current mix is Peru Ceja da SIlva, Jacaltenango, Sumatran Blue and Ethiopean Yirg.
                  I typically use 350 grams of pre-blended beans at 400/A/P1 until first crack and then C/P2/D for 2 minutes followed by C/P3 for another 2 minutes. First crack is usually at approx 16:30 and I'll finish the roast within 4 minutes of RFC. It is rare that 2nd crack will start unless I cool with the door shut (only if I roast indoors).
                  Moisture loss is around 17-18%.

It's pretty much set and forget these days and doing the same blend over and over means less stuffing around with the grinder and coffee machine, so very little waste from having to fine tune.

Comment

• Andy
                    Andy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Like they say: When you're on a good thing...

• Has anyone had success with this blend using a Kaffelogic? If so did you run the beans through at level 3.2 (medium roast) CS7?

Comment

• Hi subby

I roasted the klm blend separately at 3.2 ( i may have gone a little darker on one of the beans ( my notes aren't detailed enough ) . I used the correct elevation/ REST profiles for the different beans and drank beginning Day 4. The Peru CDS from recollection is a 2000-2700 metre bean and has always reminded me of a cocoa like colour when roasted. The blend drank very well, but not astounding, it was a good allrounder. I haven't spent much time trying to improve from there, as the batch size differences make it a bit of a chore with leftovers. I used the exact beans from the recipe although i am sure some substitutes would still blend well together.

Comment

• Barry O'Speedwagon
                      Barry O'Speedwagon commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeh, I tried it on the Kaffelogic, but as a post-blend (on REST profiles). Was OK, but not particulalry impressed relative to a pre-blend on Behmor. On the other hand the results I've got on the Kaffelogic for the Colombian VG have been very pleasing. I will try again re the KJM ingredients. I followed the alitude based profiles rather than instinct the first time. I reckon I might tweek the profile for the Ethiopian component.

• Barry O ... i have been really pleased with the Columbian VG also out of the KL roaster. Am still quite amazed how well it drinks on a RTD profile ( plus 30-45 minutes open to atmosphere in my case( my preference)) I use the slightly lower 1200-1500m altitude for my best efforts ... but they have all been consistenly good

Comment

Working...
                    X