Ideas on Blend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas on Blend

Running late the other day so couldnt get my own coffee, popped to the local coffee place (not bad). But served up a great blend with a buttery taste with a hint of spice, like cinnamon or cardamom couldnt work it out. I need to get my own house blend and this is the type I think I want to aim for. Any thoughts on what I should roast and purchase to play with ?

Re: Ideas on Blend

Originally posted by 23333F3C3C3F2023500 link=1296599485/0#0 date=1296599485
    a buttery taste with a hint of spice
    Sounds like it has some Indian Monsooned Malabar in it which has these qualities.

Comment

Originally posted by 7C6C606363607F7C0F0 link=1296599485/0#0 date=1296599485
      Any thoughts on what I should roast and purchase to play with ?
      Yes, the same beans the cafe uses. Ask them what goes into their blend.

Comment

Wish I could the closed down on Friday - but sure the supplier was Saint something....was in the Valley. Hmm I tired the Malabar as an SO didnt think that would create that taste ? could be wrong

Comment

Originally posted by 3B2B27242427383B480 link=1296599485/3#3 date=1296607550
          Wish I could the closed down on Friday - but sure the supplier was Saint something....was in the Valley.Hmm I tired the Malabar as an SO didnt think that would create that taste ?could be wrong
          Malabar I find have a longer post roast time I dont pop mine before 15 days and they just keep getting better..

Gra..

Comment

Originally posted by 3828242727243B384B0 link=1296599485/3#3 date=1296607550
            sure the supplier was Saint something
            Im aware of one St. Something, but may not be them. Besides...doubt they need another plug! ;D

I dont like using Malabar in a blend - seems as though no matter how long I leave it to rest, it froths like regular dishwashing detergent added to a dishwasher.

No offense, but cinnamon and cardomom taste and smell very different, and if you cant discern the difference, you have no hope of replicating the roast.

I suggest you get to know a number of single origin coffees before attempting to blend. If however you cant wait, Id suggest using the KJM Blend - it reads well to me and seems failproof.

Comment

Was the barista Luke Shilling?
              If so, Saint coffee is also served and sold at the cooparoo market.
              Also try http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1239960313
              to find the roaster

Comment

Hey Ronin yes Luke was the Guy there...will see if I can dig around - thanks for that very helpful

Comment

Originally posted by 2B3B37343437282B580 link=1296599485/0#0 date=1296599485
                  Running late the other day so couldnt get my own coffee, popped to the local coffee place (not bad).  But served up a great blend with a buttery taste with a hint of spice, like cinnamon or cardamom couldnt work it out.  I need to get my own house blend and this is the type I think I want to aim for.  Any thoughts on what I should roast and purchase to play with ?

Scollops - Ive found that the Daterra Sweet Collection beans give a lovely buttery mouthfeel. Could be those were the source of the butter? Im with Dennis on the Monsooned though - Ive yet to find a place where I actually like them. Theyre interesting, right enough, but not sure Id plonk them into a blend just to lift crema (which seems to be the main use). You could try something like a daterra base with just a couple of % monsooned malabar - thatd be the lovely buttery mouth plus some funky spicey overtones...

But Im no expert..

Cheers
                  /Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by 61717D7E7E7D6261120 link=1296599485/0#0 date=1296599485
                    served up a great blend with a buttery taste with a hint of spice, like cinnamon or cardamom
                    Most likely a blend containing a high proportion (or even used as the base) quality Sumatran, like a Kuda Mas, Lumika or Blue Batak.

Some Sumatrans, particularly the more expensive controlled "aged" lots roasted to suit their moisture levels will exhibit truckloads of buttery smooth rich flavor.

A quality dry or naturally pulped Brazil when roasted a little darker can also give a similar results, but there is a very fine line between choc and butter when playing this way with BZLs.

Comment

Working...
                    X