Re: something to go with monsoon malabar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: something to go with monsoon malabar

I found it blended well with Sipangan Bolon, which had a distinct sweet nutty flavour.

Probably anything sweet would work.

I dont remember the MM being salty though. Will have to roast up some of the 3 bags I bought a while back.

Originally posted by 2429342732777475460 link=1297861758/1#1 date=1297862189
    Sipangan Bolon, which had a distinct sweet nutty flavour
    Not sure if I agree with that descriptor for the current (landed Dec10/Jan11) crop of SB. Perhaps its your roasting.

Current crop SB has considerably more acid (quite high for an Indo) as it was prepared in a style to suit the North American market. Current SB has more intensity than you would normally find in an Indo and needs more careful consideration when blending, else it dominates (overpowers or works against) other feature beans in a blend.

Suggest matching the MM with a high-grown, hard bean from Central America to add sweetness then throw in a fruity Ethiopian to counter the pungent MM aromatics.

Comment

Hey Shaf,
      all depends, how and to what depth are you roasting it??

In my opinion, I tend to roast the Malabar quite dark and blend it in smaller quantities, this is mainly due to the extended period that Malabar needs to degas (see around 10+days). And i agree with Medal Bandit, i blend it with Central American something like Mexican Yeni.

Happy Roasting,

DD

Comment

I had a revelation with this stuff today.

Last week I blended 60% Sumatra Sipangan Bolon, 20% PNG Kone Ka AA, 20% Costa Rica Tarrazu Naranjo and roasted it together to start of SC. Not sure why I tried to put these together, just a shot in the dark.
        When I tried it today it lacked body and flavour and seemed to have too much (?)acid. The crema dissipated quickly. I didnt like it.

I had some Malabar from 3 wks ago. When I tried it today as a single shot, the crema was foamy and the flavour seemed flat. I was thinking of tossing it.

Instead I added it to the above blend with about 20% Malabar.

I was blown away. This was entirely different. The malabar added the low notes this coffee needed. It was chocolatey and resonant, and I was still tasting it 30 min later. The crema held together and showed no foam. It was delicious. I cant wait for morning to come!

My lesson - use the Malabar to add body and low notes. Roast it separately and let it rest a long time. Then blend it and prepare for a surprise....

Comment

Originally posted by 5E595D5E595D5E595D52594E3C0 link=1297861758/4#4 date=1300781090
          I was blown away. This was entirely different. The malabar added the low notes this coffee needed. It was chocolatey and resonant, and I was still tasting it 30 min later. The crema held together and showed no foam. It was delicious. I cant wait for morning to come!

My lesson - use the Malabar to add body and low notes. Roast it separately and let it rest a long time. Then blend it and prepare for a surprise....
          Thats pretty much how I use Monsoon Malabar bbb....

Sometimes I cant wait for the flavour to fully develop but even then, it still adds a lot to a blend thats light-on in the low-mid to low notes and perhaps lacking a little in body and/or crema persistence.

Has always been a favourite used like this.... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Had a cupping with Campos a while back, the harshness of indian monsoon malabar (Campos Dark Roast) went very well with the Guatemala Huehuetenango. So probably, another central american roast with similar profile will go with the malabar?

Comment

Gday BIT....

Yes mate, that would work well but I wouldnt go higher than 25% with the MM and Huehue. Usually, I tend to leave the Huehue as an SO as it such a luscious bean in its own right but the MM wont wreck it.

As bbb suggests above though, its best to roast the MM separately and probably about 10-14 days before its needed. It does take a long to time to arrive at its flavour peak but once there, it also hangs around for quite a while too. Makes life interesting for a home-roaster though when juggling the timing on the various components for a blend, not to mention the components themselves....

Mal.

Comment

Hi,
                tried about 20% Malabar + 80% Brazilian beans. Love it. Creamy, strong aroma yet kind of sweet after-taste. U may want to try it.

Comment

Originally posted by 4F4746434E40434C464B56220 link=1297861758/2#2 date=1299887093
                  borat123 wrote on Feb 17th, 2011 at 12:16am:
                  Sipangan Bolon, which had a distinct sweet nutty flavour

Not sure if I agree with that descriptor for the current (landed Dec10/Jan11) crop of SB. Perhaps its your roasting.
                  Yes, my bag was from a previous BB, about a year before that.   That crop definetely had a easily recognisable nutty flavour, which was nice as an SO, but even better when blended with MM......

Just checked BB previous orders, the bag was from Aug 2009!

Comment

Working...
                  X