X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice chocolatey blend

Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I bought some of the Bolivia Green Mountain Estate as well as the Tanzania Kyaurinde from the last beanbay. Everyone on here raved about the awesome chocolate flavours from the Bolivian but I just couldnt seem to nail it. It was always a bit sad in the cup for me. I primarily drink milk-based drinks so I like something that can punch through the milk. I tried different roasts but just couldnt get it.

With the Tanzania, it was almost the opposite. It was almost too acidic. So I decided what the hell, Ill try a 50/50 blend. Im fairly new to roasting - Ive got a coretto setup thanks to this site and I just made my first exhaust fan-bucket bean cooler. Never blended anything before.

Anyway, the result was a ripping great coffee that has loads of chocolate, balanced acidity, and just a touch of sweetness. Works really well with milk, and not too bad as an espresso/long black either.

So anyway I thought Id share my first blending experience. Cheers and happy roasting.

Re: Nice chocolatey blend

Blended pre or post roast?
    And what level did you roast to?

Just curious, as my other half loves a huge chocolatey cup.

Comment

It take it to about CS10 - around the 215 degree mark give or take. I wait for the first snaps of second crack, give it a little longer but I pull it before it gets to a rolling second crack.

Comment

Hi Blergen
        Sounds interesting! Ive just picked up some Brasil/Columb and some Tanz/Eth from bean bay, and Im looking to try a similar blend - sthn for body/choc and Afr for flavour/spice.
        I have had some interesting experiences trying to do an in-roast blend in with that combo, and had the africans end up as charcoal while the rest is CS7-8, but I also dont want to do multiple Corretto roasts - Id end up with too much to keep fresh.
        I know it is probably sacriledge, but Ive been pondering with my setup whether pre-warming the pan with the sthns included for the first 2mins of erratic mixing, then dropping in the africans just before it all gets going might just bring both up in line ready for dropping at the end? Youd probably get a slight temp drop in the pan, but might just slow the afr down enough…

Just a random thought : might give it a go sometime…

Ill look forward to your cupping thoughts as this blend develops!

Matt

Comment

I blended pre-roast, and I didnt have any issues with roast variation. I got a nice even roast across the board. Im too lazy to time my roast by I generally get to rolling first crack about 10ish minutes and slow things right down to get to 2nd crack about 7-8 minutes later.

Could just be that these beans roast similarly. Dont know about other africans though

Comment

Just have to give it a whirl I guess!

Do like the sounds of rich and chocolatey

Comment

Well, Ive just this morning broken into a similar blend roasted about 7 days ago - 60% Brazil/Cuba (had the remains of a bag of cuba left - which I found pretty similar to brazil really) and 40% Tanz Uru.
              And the results match Blergens finds. Lovely and chocolatey, sweet, with that hint of cocoa-textured spice you can get with African beans. Cut beautifully through the light soy we use - Ill update when I get to a doppio!
              Great find!
              Im still pondering whether Ill try a late addition for the Uru - they certainly roasted darker in the pre-roast blend. I might do my pre-warm to 30degrees with the southerns in the pan, then add the africans at the 2 minute mark - they might just meet nicely near 2C!

Matt

Comment

Well
                Im rethinking the blended roast thing. With this bean combo, even with a late drop, the Uru is well into rolling 2C (CS 9) at 220 degress, while the Brazil was nowhere near 2C (maybe CS7 - 2C tends to happen at 222-223 degrees with Brasil).
                In a doppio with the latest batch (7 days post) Im finding it hard to remove the bitterness even with a coarse grind & fast pour (possibly due to over cooked Uru) but it also has little body and crema disappears quite quickly - which is unusual with a Brazil included - I wonder if that part is under roasted. And you can certainly pick which bean is which by eye!
                Anyhow - now ive got to work out how to drink 600g a week to justify 2 batches! 

Any other ideas?

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by 6342544E40494E4940655E644841414242270 link=1321445123/7#7 date=1322951856
                  In a doppio with the latest batch (7 days post) Im finding it hard to remove the bitterness even with a coarse grind & fast pour (possibly due to over cooked Uru) but it also has little body and crema disappears quite quickly - which is unusual with a Brazil included - I wonder if that part is under roasted. And you can certainly pick which bean is which by eye!
                  Well, Im removing my Akubra will will now commence to eat it!

This liquorice all-sort looking pre-roast blend, which I must confess I almost resigned to the garbage last weekend as being too thin & bitter (almost undrinkable as a doppio at 7 days post roast) has slowly started to come good. I was expecting a week of drinking my mistake - but Im being surprised every day.

We are now at 13 days post roast, and the crema is finally starting to settle (it was absolutely exploding out up till now - looked like the most horrible gusher - although time & final volume was spot-on), the body is thickening up, and the flavour is now a very deep, dark chocolate. Havent had it in milk yet, but I think it will really cut through well.

So, moral of the story - keep trying your mistakes - they may pan out with enough rest! (except that one that tasted like cigarette ash - that was unlikely to improve ;D)

And that 50/50 of Bourbon & Uru is starting to look like a winner!

Happy blending!
                  Matt

Comment

I have never liked the Bolivian chocolate blend. For me, a full bodied light roast with irresistible hints of chocolate and banana is ideal for the first and last cup of the day.

Comment

just enjoying 4 bean blend on day six post-roast
                      Peru Ceja de Selva
                      Panama Bouquette de Eleta
                      Sumatran Gayo
                      Indian Mysoor Nuggets
                      this a pre-blended and produced a lovely even roast pulled at the first snaps of 2C.
                      Getting huge cocoa/chocolate notes with hints of spice and fruit with heaps of body and a lingering aftertaste.
                      was great as an espresso with still a little bit of brightness but this should settle down over the next week or so (if it lasts that long!), as a flat white it was brilliant with many accolades coming from family members

Comment

Hey fellow blenders!

Been meaning to join in for a few years now, better late than never!

Blergen, that formulation sounds superb, always after the choc notes myself..might have to buy some myself on bean bay & try it out. On the list it goes!

Been working on a spicy blend of late, getting there with some Eth. Limu, blended with Colombian & a Kenyan. Looking at buying some Aceh Bitang Gr. 1.

Anyone have any ideas on beans with spice nuances? Any tips much appreciated.

Greenman, is it the Sumatran/Indian that gives the spice in your enticing blend?

Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by 1C3325251B560 link=1321445123/11#11 date=1331038286
                          Greenman, is it the Sumatran/Indian that gives the spice in your enticing blend?
                          the subtle spices are coming from the Sumatran with the Indian adding heaps of body, still improving as each day passes

Comment

Cool, thanks Ill keep this in mind for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by 30253232393A3639570 link=1321445123/12#12 date=1331097190
                              the subtle spices are coming from the Sumatran with the Indian adding heaps of body, still improving as each day passes
                              Hi Greenman, what kind of percentages are you using the Indian in your blend? 20 to 30% or more?

Comment

Working...
                              X