Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PNG/Peru/Ethiopian Blend

Hi All,

Ive been experimenting with roasting a few different beans types over the past week, and after sampling the various beans at different stages of post-roast, I tried combining a couple. I stumbled upon something that was rather enjoyable - a 40% PNG Wahgi CS10, 33% Peru Ceja CS8, 27% Ethiopian Gambella CS7-8.

I would describe it as smooth and chocolaty, with good body, and maybe a hint of caramel. Clean also springs to mind.

Im also trying to learn the taste descriptions of various flavours. So if anyone else wants to try this out and write up their description I can start "calibrating" my vocabulary to my tastebuds.

Enjoy!

Re: PNG/Peru/Ethiopian Blend

Yes its a nice choice of beans, Ive been doing a rough third each of the same three and varying the Peru with costa rican or Colombian volcan.

Comment

Hello I have roasted a 60/40 blend of the Peru/Wahgi

Will be ready to try in a couple of days, I find most blends a little bland before day 6

Next roast I will add some Gambella to the mix and see how that goes.

Comment

Sounds great! I love using Peru as the base for 70/30 blends with E Limmu/Gambella

Comment

Hey there!

I have been roasting Peru Ceja + Etheopian Ghimbi (50/50) for a while now and just had a coffee from week old beans and it was INSANELY good. Really rich chocolate under-tones, nice full body and some fruitiness from the Ethiopian; it was just one of those coffees, the ones that make you shout 'YES!'. That is what a coffee lover lives for, that moment where the coffee makes love with you tongue.

Sensual imagery aside, I would be interested to know what beans other than a Brazillian would make for a good base bean to a Peru+Etheopian roast. Thoughts people?

Comment

I'm a newbie roaster, sorry for a silly question,
            Are you guys roasting each variety individually then blending the roasted beans?

Comment

Originally posted by fg1972 View Post
              I'm a newbie roaster, sorry for a silly question,
              Are you guys roasting each variety individually then blending the roasted beans?
              Not a silly question.

What are you roasting with and how much do you want to end up with? If you only want a small quantity, say 250g, and your roaster has a minimum batch size, say 300g, then you may need to pre-blend the beans to make the 300g batch. If you wanted 500g, then you could roast 300g of each separately and blend them afterwards.

The advantage of post-blending is that you can roast and rest each bean for optimum results. You might want to roast the Ethiopian a little lighter than the Peru for example and rest it for longer.
              If you roast them together (pre-blend) then all beans will be roasted the same way. However, many are quite happy or even prefer pre-blended roasts.

The best way is to try it each way for yourself.

Comment

Currently roasting with a popper, usually do 2 x 140g (green) roasts to end up with ~250g (roasted).
                Once I have a few more successful roasts under my belt, I will try both pre & post blending.
                Thanks flynnaus

Comment

Originally posted by Sixthlaw View Post
                  Hey there!

I have been roasting Peru Ceja + Etheopian Ghimbi (50/50) for a while now and just had a coffee from week old beans and it was INSANELY good. Really rich chocolate under-tones, nice full body and some fruitiness from the Ethiopian; it was just one of those coffees, the ones that make you shout 'YES!'. That is what a coffee lover lives for, that moment where the coffee makes love with you tongue.

Sensual imagery aside, I would be interested to know what beans other than a Brazillian would make for a good base bean to a Peru+Etheopian roast. Thoughts people?
                  I think you'll find that most of us here consider the Peru Ceja de Selva to be a base bean. If you want to expand the taste sensation, add an Indonesian like the Sulawesi Blue or Sumatran Aged Late pick (now sold out?). My preference would be 4 parts Peru, 3 parts Ghimbi, 2 parts Sulawesi Blue. (= Base plus Moka Java). Another good base bean other than the Peru would be the Indian Elephant Hills. If you pad the Peru base out with a nice Central American, you'll get KJM's house blend.

Amanda

Comment

Thanks Sixthlaw,

I've been roasting for a little while now, sticking with SO, which l love. But the good wife loves her latte's and has requested that I start producing some blends ("some variety would be nice" I think it went like). I'm going to go with with this combo, substituting the Ghimbi with the Sidamo Guji (whats in my stash)....see what happens.
                    Hey there!

Comment

Hey there!

Just had to say +1 from me on this and thoroughly agree it's an amazing combo for my limited palate too

Comment

Hi there, very interesting blend options. Any opinions on blending png, Colombian and Ethiopian beans together and what split etc. be interested in your feedback ?

Comment

This is another blend I love:-

Ethiopian Gambella - 150 grams
                          Peru ceja de selva - 150 grams
                          PNG Highlands Natural - 50 grams - I sometimes replace this with the Tanzanian Machare Estate, Malabar Monsoon or the Thailand Chiang Mai.

just finished my morning coffee, flat white, this is awesome @ 12 days and I have enough left for another week, I hope.

Comment

Originally posted by smokey View Post
                            This is another blend I love:-

Ethiopian Gambella - 150 grams
                            Peru ceja de selva - 150 grams
                            PNG Highlands Natural - 50 grams - I sometimes replace this with the Tanzanian Machare Estate, Malabar Monsoon or the Thailand Chiang Mai.

just finished my morning coffee, flat white, this is awesome @ 12 days and I have enough left for another week, I hope.
                            The bag is gone, sadly, it finished with incredible fruitiness, this one is a keeper.

Comment

I discovered Brazil, roasted separately to into 2nd crack, 50%. PNG 30% and Ethiopian 20% roasted together then mixed.
                              My family insist that I must always have this roast ready to go. Or else!

Comment

Working...
                              X