Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

South American - a smooth, smooth brew......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South American - a smooth, smooth brew......

Hi all,
    Have just blended the Brazilian (PN) to CS10, Colombian (VG) to CS8-9 & Peruvian (CdS) to CS9 in equal amounts. At day 4 the brew is strong enough to cut through the milk, is rich, smooth and not the slightest bit acidic. IMHO it is also great (best) as an espresso. The crema is dense and tight, not overly foamy or zesty. Sorry about the poor cupping description. I will play around with the ratios a little over the coming weeks but am extremely satisfied with this blend.

Anyone tried this one before?

Re: South American - a smooth, smooth brew......

An update of the South American blend.... Improving very well. Day 6 and then 7 have been the best that it has drunk - markedly so. I have had to adjust the grind slightly both days but can not recommend this blend highly enough to others interested in a blend from this region. A really delicious espresso yet very nice in milk based coffee as well.

Comment

What ratios in the various beans are you utilizing?

Comment

Originally posted by 4E62716A6D6671030 link=1335189130/0#0 date=1335189130
        Hi all,
        Have just blended the Brazilian (PN) to CS10, Colombian (VG) to CS8-9 & Peruvian (CdS) to CS9 in equal amounts.

Comment

Originally posted by 133D37382D696B6061590 link=1335189130/2#2 date=1335437523
          What ratios in the various beans are you utilizing?
          Hi, all of the beans are mixed together in equal amounts - being 1/3 each. I havent played around with any other ratios yet as I am both too lazy and am really enjoying this blend as is. The next time I do it I will look at mixing the ratios around a bit or even try taking the Peruvian a little deeper.

Comment

Gave this a go as a small pre-blended roast in the i-coffee(160g green, 60 Peru / 50 Brazil / 50 Colombian...no good reason for the 10g extra Peru..Ive just got plenty of it). Got close to CS10. Both myself and SWMBO very much enjoyed it as a latte and will try again (when I re-stock...my Brazil and Colombian were just part of the starter pack). Good stuff Frank.

Comment

I just finished up a pre roast blend of this today.
              For me it did not come into its own till day 7, only improved from there, i can only speak up to day 12 ;D

But yes i found very low acidity, lots of cocoa type chocolate, smooth upfront with a slight  bitter sweet finish like you get in 80% cocoa chocolate. Quite enjoyable.

Comment

Just tried this blend in a few different configurations. First had a little bit of Ethiopian in it, it did not taste as good IMHO. 2nd go was 50% Peru, 25% Brazil and 25% Colombian all roasted to the same depth as the original batches. It tasted great but, was not quite as good for mine, it lacked just that little bit of punch that the brazillian gave it to cut through the milk. So I will maybe try roasting the peru just a little further or just go back to the original, its fun to play around. I might look at getting some central american to throw in it and see how that goes.

Comment

Roasted this blend Tuesday night without seeing this thread beforehand and was surprised that it had already been done! I I threw 100g of each of the coffees that were listed before into the Behmor on 1lb and P3. I just tasted the product this evening and was pleasantly surprised! As you mentioned, it does in fact cut through the milk really nicely and is really, really smooth! For my first blend ever im actually quite happy with myself.  Time will tell with how it progresses.

Comment

Originally posted by 10332E3932263D5C0 link=1335189130/8#8 date=1337332766
                    Roasted this blend Tuesday night without seeing this thread beforehand and was surprised that it had already been done! I I threw 100g of each of the coffees that were listed before into the Behmor on 1lb and P3. I just tasted the product this evening and was pleasantly surprised! As you mentioned, it does in fact cut through the milk really nicely and is really, really smooth! For my first blend ever im actually quite happy with myself.  Time will tell w
                    HI Lorenza,
                    Nice one. I am pretty new to roasting too. I have always loved central and south american coffees and dont like anything overly acidic. The secret to getting the brew to cut through the milk as well as it does is the darker roasting of the Brazilian.

It should get better as it gets older.

Comment

Originally posted by 7D5142595E5542300 link=1335189130/9#9 date=1337334520
                      Originally posted by 10332E3932263D5C0 link=1335189130/8#8 date=1337332766
                      Roasted this blend Tuesday night without seeing this thread beforehand and was surprised that it had already been done! I I threw 100g of each of the coffees that were listed before into the Behmor on 1lb and P3. I just tasted the product this evening and was pleasantly surprised! As you mentioned, it does in fact cut through the milk really nicely and is really, really smooth! For my first blend ever im actually quite happy with myself.   Time will tell w
                      HI Lorenza,
                      Nice one.  I am pretty new to roasting too.  I have always loved central and south american coffees and dont like anything overly acidic.  The secret to getting the brew to cut through the milk as well as it does is the darker roasting of the Brazilian.

It should get better as it gets older.
                      Hi Marnier,

Tried this coffee again this morning and im loving it! Its really cutting through the milk nicely as a double ristretto in a latte, and the pour is DELICIOUS... Its SO good.

Comment

Originally posted by 7C5F42555E4A51300 link=1335189130/10#10 date=1337478747
                        Hi Marnier,

Tried this coffee again this morning and im loving it! Its really cutting through the milk nicely as a double ristretto in a latte, and the pour is DELICIOUS... Its SO good. 
                        Hi Lorenza,
                        So glad you like this blend too. I am at sea at the moment but will be roasting some more as soon as I get back ashore. I will be trying a few different ratios and roast depths when I do - really just to see what affect, if any it actually has.

It seems we have similar taste so if you come up with, or try a blend you really like, be sure to let me know!!

Comment

So the Brazil is @ second crack and the others are pre second crack yes?

Comment

Originally posted by 6346514E4370161E1117270 link=1335189130/12#12 date=1337746232
                            So the Brazil is @ second crack and the others are pre second crack yes?
                            Hi David,
                            Yes pretty much, The Brazilian was at the start of second crack and a CS10 in colour before I pulled the roast. The other two beans were at CS9 - right on the cusp of second crack but certainly not into it - I think that anywhere close to CS9 for the Colombian and Peruvian is good. As long as they are well past CS8.

Hope that helps.

Comment

After spending a lazy week experimenting with these three beans (and occasionally with the Honduras currently on beanbay), Ive come to the conclusion that I prefer this blend with 50% Brazil and 25% each of the Peru and Colombian (or a Central). Probably just my palate (and the fact that I drink lattes/flat whites). Also enjoyed a blend swapping the Colombian and Brazil around.

Comment

Working...
                              X