Mexican El Malinal Typica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexican El Malinal Typica

Mexican El Malinal Typical, an awesome bean by itself. Thought I had a nice blend for our house then tried this as a single origin at CS8 and my wife has gone ga ga about it! Have bought more and more and more...

Re: Mexican El Malinal Typica

How deep can you take the roast on this one? Does it roast well to say CS10? Or, is it better as an 8 or 9?

Comment

Andys guide in beanbay suggests going to CS10. Ive recently roasted a small batch which are on the light side of CS9 and its not really doing it for me thus far as a latte (need to fiddle with grind though).

Comment

Hi BoS,
        This is what I thought may be the case. If you roast some to a CS10 l would love to know what you think of it. Really I want to know how well the flavours come through the milk as well as whether by taking it to CS10 any of the acidity is softened a little. I will probably end up getting a bag anyway.

Comment

Certainly going to give it another go...pulled it too early last time.

Comment

Since posting have taken batches to CS9 and 10 with improvement all the way and since taking possession of a new BES900 the bean is producing extremely good milk based coffee with excellent acidity and chocolate notes...

Comment

Yeah... I still think that at CS10 this bean really shines.

It also seems to like a longer roast, I think Ill put that down to high altitude and high density but either way dragging your roast curve out a little flatter really seems to get the balance of acidity/sweetness/cocoa just right.

A really amazing coffee when you nail the roast.

Keep playing, you will know when your roast style matches the bean.

Comment

I think that this will definitely be my next order then. My south american blend needs just a little something........I dont know what that is, I just know that it does. Maybe it is a bit of Mexican.

Comment

My current batch are impressing me a little more with a slightly coarser grind than I started with. Certainly wont be chucking them. Just roasted another small batch (from cold start) in the i-coffee...took quite a bit longer to first crack and I hit the cooling cycle when rolling first crack was reached. Stretched roast out to 20 mins, but I think Im still a little short of CS10.

Comment

Originally posted by 61677B65607F63620C0 link=1336554707/8#8 date=1337212204
                    My current batch are impressing me a little more with a slightly coarser grind than I started with. Certainly wont be chucking them. Just roasted another small batch (from cold start) in the i-coffee...took quite a bit longer to first crack and I hit the cooling cycle when rolling first crack was reached. Stretched roast out to 20 mins, but I think Im still a little short of CS10.
                    Hi BOS,
                    Nice one. I will be super keen to see how they turn out.....I will definately try this method out when I get home. Although, I am yet to understand how a roast of a bean gets better with slowing it down (something to do with the moisture and sugars????) I will take Andys word for it. Be sure to post when you have your first cup of this batch.

Comment

Working...
                    X