Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traditional Italian espresso blend wanted

Hi all,
    I'm about to order some green beans after my starter pack has nearly run out.
    I mainly drink espresso's and really enjoyed the flavor of the roasted "espresso wow" beans.
    Can anyone recommend maybe 2 or 3 types of bean that blend well to create a great espresso?

To me, at least, the title of your thread is inconsistent with what you are asking. To me, Traditional Italian conjures thoughts of an over-roasted blend of very cheap beans, like a certain commercial brand favored by many local take-away stores (hamburger joints).

Now, Andy's "Espresso Wow" is very good, but Andy ain't giving away his secrets. I, on the other hand, am happy to pass on what I know.

For a 2 bean blend, think Mocha Java. Starting point would be 60%/40%. I prefer to work blends in terms of "parts", so that would be 3:2. Mocha is any of the Ethiopian/Yemen, of which GreenBay currently has ample to select from. And they're all good. Java is anything from Indonesia. Right now the choice is somewhat limited, but I have been using the Sulawesi Blue for quite some time with good success. There's also the Sulawesi peaberry which has just come in, which I'm sure will also be good.
    Broadly speaking, Mocha is bright & flowery/fruity, Java is more earthy.

For a 3 bean blend, I add a base bean under the Mocha Java, to give 4 parts base, 3 parts Mocha, 2 parts Java. A base bean is something that tastes like coffee. Most of the South American's make a good base, like a Brazilian or the Peru Ceja de Selva. The Indian Elephant Hills also makes a good base, and is my current house blend base bean.

If you want something that will put hairs on your chest, add one part Robusta. The blend is now 4:3:2:1.

If you split the 4 parts base into a blend of South/Central American's, you get KJM's house blend, which is in another thread here nearby somewhere.

If you split the base into 3 parts base, 1 part Monsooned Malabar, you get my current house blend, which I describe as being 3:1-3:2:1

Amanda

Comment

Thanks Amanda,

Lots of very good information in your reply to get me started.
      I will most probably do a 3 bean blend using Sth American, mocha, java varieties.
      By Traditional Italian, I mean the way it is done and served in Italy and certainly don't mean that type of coffee you are thinking about where they probably wouldn't know what an espresso is and just call it a short black filled to the rim of the cup.

Cheers
      Fiorello
      Last edited by fg1972; 13 October 2012, 08:29 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

A small amount of high quality robusta (10-15% max) can also be worth considering. I've tried adding a bit to blends similar to those described by Amanda above, and also to a blend of Sth / Central Americans (70% Sth 15% Central 15% Robusta.....shamelessly copied from Sweet Maria's old italian blend). I generally roast the robusta a week earlier than the rest of the blend.

Comment

Traditional Italian espresso blend wanted

Thanks BOS,

I've just placed an order for

Ethiopian Gambella Sundried
          Brazil Pulped Natural
          Sulawesi Blue
          ROBUSTA Indian Monsoon

Still lots to learn, I'll see how it goes.

Fiorello

Comment

Traditional Italian espresso blend wanted

What is the reason for using Robusta? Is it purely for cost $$$'s?

Comment

Originally posted by DavidW1960 View Post
              Adds crema & boldness. I like my coffee bold.

Amanda

Comment

I would suggest that you try some Indian Kaapi Royale Parchment (the world's first R rated coffee) too see just how good specialty grade robusta can be... and it definitely does add both crema and added boldness to a blend

Comment

Not for me (but I realise that poor quality Robusta is used for this purpose). I don't always use it, but it provides a little extra bite to some blends (as well as beefing up the crema...but that's no biggie for me).

Comment

Thanks to Amanda and Barry and the other contributors to this thread, I am looking to beef up my blends a little and you've given me some ideas on how to use my India Magundi Robusta. Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by fg1972 View Post
                      Thanks BOS,

I've just placed an order for

Ethiopian Gambella Sundried
                      Brazil Pulped Natural
                      Sulawesi Blue
                      ROBUSTA Indian Monsoon

Still lots to learn, I'll see how it goes.

Fiorello

My standard 4-3-2-1 base plus mocha java robusta.

4 parts Brazil Pulped Natural (base)
                      3 parts Ethiopian Gambella Sundried (mocha)
                      2 parts Sulawesi Blue (java)
                      1 part ROBUSTA Indian Monsoon

Amanda

Comment

For a traditional italian style blend you could try someting like :

Brazil base made up of two diff brazilians 70%
                        Bright Central 15%
                        Robusta 15%

Comment

Working...
                        X