Yemen + Sumatran + Bolivian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yemen + Sumatran + Bolivian

Roasted this on Nov 11 using the proportions 190g of Yemen Bani Ismael, 190g of Sumatran and 140g of Bolivian Caranavi. These were all bag-ends from 2009 lots, hence the odd quantities.
    Roughly a ratio of 4:4:3 or 36% Yemen, 36% Sumatran,27% Bolivian. (yeah, I know that doesn't add up to 100% but chuck in a bit extra of one if you are finicky about these things ).

Roasted to about CS10 or before rolling second crack.

Given the age of the beans, there was still a lovely blend of flavours - some intensity from the Yemen, some earthiness from the Sumatran and hint of choc mint (that's what I seem to get) and a combined fruitiness, my palate unable to pick out individual flavours. The Yemen is dominant. Overall, smooth and quite sweet, no acidity. Prepared as a latte this morning and cut very well through the milk. I'll look forward to trying this as an espresso.

I think these 3 would also work well together in equal quantities. I might have to grab another bag of Bolivian and play with this one a bit more.

I guess you could also try Ethiopian Gambella or Ghimbi in lieu of Yemen, and Sulawesi instead of Sumatran but this will yield a different blend.

Sounds like a good blend flynn - I did some a couple of weeks back which was 50% Yemen Bani Ismail and 50% Sulawesi Blue Peaberry. I left it for over two weeks and it was an absolute cracker! I've also done the same ratios but using the Ghimbi instead of the Yemen - still delicious but not quite up there when it's with the Yemen!

Comment

I have been roasting a blend of Panama, Sumatran and Yemen 45/25/30 for a while now, produces an intense bitter/sweet espresso with heaps of spice and cocoa, great in milk as well with sweet choc/spice notes.

Comment

Currently drinking the Yemen 50/50 with Andy's Costa tarrazu.

Soooooo good!

Comment

Originally posted by Tango View Post
          50% Yemen Bani Ismail and 50% Sulawesi Blue Peaberry.
          Mine was almost going to be that but I threw in the Bolivian bag-end to make up some volume as well as to use it up. I think this is the first blend I've ever made with a Yemen as I like it as a single origin too much.

I have been roasting a blend of Panama, Sumatran and Yemen 45/25/30 for a while now
          Ah yes, I had some memory of someone doing a similar blend.

Currently drinking the Yemen 50/50 with Andy's Costa tarrazu
          Mmm. Body+ - it must pour like honey. I still have some Herbazu I think

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
            Currently drinking the Yemen 50/50 with Andy's Costa tarrazu.

Soooooo good!
            Never thought of blending a Yemen with a Central American... Sounds interesting! I have some El Salvador coming so I might try it with that??

It's really good to hear that other people are blending Yemen beans with others - I thought I was committing the biggest sin on CS!

Comment

Working...
            X