Alternative To Ethiopian Ghimb.i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative To Ethiopian Ghimb.i

As the title says, and seeing that the Ethiopian Ghimbi is no longer available, can anyone suggest and alternative to this bean to be used in the Bull Elephant Blend.

Why start a new thread? Now we have to go back to see what the Bull Elephant Blend is. That thread is nearly two years old.

You were the last to post in it. Maybe you could add a link to your new thread?

Reading the original thread, cross referencing to current BB offerings and your answer is already evident from one or two alternatives.
    Last edited by chokkidog; 20 January 2015, 12:57 PM. Reason: damn auto-correct...:-D

Comment

Maybe I should not have mentioned the Bull Elephant Blend!! All I want is a substitute for Ethiopian Ghimbi.

Comment

Try the Ethiopian Gambela. The town of Ghimbi (or Gimbi) is in the west of Ethiopia and not far from Gambela. The beans from these regions are somewhat similar in flavour.
        Last edited by flynnaus; 20 January 2015, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Yep, agree...

The Sundried option fits the bill better than the Natural, although I notice that Andy isn't carrying the Natural option at the moment.

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by flynnaus View Post
            Try the Ethiopian Gambela. The town of Ghimbi (or Gimbi) is in the west of Ethiopia and not far from Gambela. The beans from these regions are somewhat similar in flavour.
            Thanks for that. Just bought some from Andy.

Comment

These are interesting beans - one of the few Ethiopian beans I've found that like travelling just a little into 2C. Super winey/fermented flavours. Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by DesigningByCoffee View Post
                These are interesting beans - one of the few Ethiopian beans I've found that like travelling just a little into 2C. Super winey/fermented flavours. Enjoy!
                Thanks for that info DBC, do you roast with a Behmor

Comment

No - with a Corretto.
                  But I just take the Gambella about 20secs into 2C (almost to the start of rolling 2C) - just seems to suit this bean to be a fraction darker. So what ever your 'standard' profile in the Behmor - just add a bit

Cheers Matt

Comment

Actually...

I prefer to take these just to the cusp of 2nd-Crack but thereafter allow 7-10 days for flavours to fully develop. Another thing worth trying, is to roast half to about 20sec before 2nd-Crack starts, and the other half to where matt suggests, blend afterwards, bag-up then wait around 5-7 days, and then see what you think....

Experimentation is fun...

Mal.

Comment

I have received my Ethiopian Gambella beans. They're are not a very graded bean are they. Anyway, I'll be doing my blend in a few days time.

Comment

Yeah, pretty rough to look at. But looks can be deceiving

Comment

Yep, don't worry about how they look! ;-)

It's about how they taste! :-D

Comment

Working...
                          X