Discovering partners for favorite bean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discovering partners for favorite bean

After home roasting for more than 2 years, and getting to know some favourites well one is the PNG mt Ambra A. However it is slightly on the soft side, but has a flavour that keeps wanting for more. So to get more punch...
    So have been roasting for the last 2 months 60 / 40 blends with Colombia Red, Peru , Kenya AAA bold, colomban Volcan Gal, Today Sulawesi blu and a Guatemalian.
    Well every blend so far has been really great.
    This home roasting is a joy. Is this a definition pf a base bean?

It's a great bean isn't it. I've got an 80/20 blend of the png mt ambra with Indian monsoon malabar at the moment and am loving it. Sweet oozy goodness!

Comment

Not sure there is an accepted definition of base bean! To me. the Ceja in the KJM blend is the base - because it is kind of smooth and inoffensive I wouldn't call the Ethiopians that. The PNG beans to me have more character than the Ceja, but I know what you mean!

I wouldn't get too concerned about what others say or think about that (especially KJM!). IMHO you can view almost any bean as a blending base and work from that..

Have you tried roasting the PNG to just after first crack, and then another batch just into second and blending the result? That was a tip I got from Mal (Hi Mal!) a long while back and it works really, really well. It remains a favorite around here to this day..

/Kevin

Comment

Thanks for your replies, And it is a great idea to roast at both depths and blend. Todays is the Kenya / PNG, and it is very good, roasted 30 sec longer than usual, perhaps the Mt Ambra needs a little longer than i have been roasting. (med)
        About the Ceja, the lady 2 doors away who drinks flat white, described it as nutty......brazil nut. Not a bad effort we thought.
        For me it is half a long black, = 30 ml + 50 ml 65 deg water.
        And yes i do respect the contributions of Kevin and Mal. :-)

Comment

KJM... (& Mal!) Good tip. I've just roasted as you suggested a 1c and a 2c batch of the PNG Mt Ambra. Smells great out of the behmor. I'm a bit surprised, as there isn't a huge change in bean colour between the two roasts. I'm guessing only one gradient on the CS chart (not that I have one). Looking forward to tasting. Cheers!

Comment

Working...
          X