I've succumbed to blending.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've succumbed to blending.

Recently purchased a few kilo's each of India Elephant Hills Monsoon and Colombia La Esperanza Red Heirloom Bourbon, I really like the EH and the Colombian sounds like it should combine with it nicely.

Yesterday roasted a batch of 725 grams 50% of each, will trial it around the end of the week and report back.

I would suggest also Yelta that you try 25% Indian EH. It is a crema monster with quite a nutty taste. 50% is a bit high IMO, whereas 25% will add a subtle nuance which will compliment the Colombian well.

Comment

Originally posted by Gavisconi007 View Post
      I would suggest also Yelta that you try 25% Indian EH. It is a crema monster with quite a nutty taste. 50% is a bit high IMO, whereas 25% will add a subtle nuance which will compliment the Colombian well.
      Been roasting EH for quite some time, really enjoy it as a SO so suspect I will handle 50% without a problem, time will tell.

Comment

If you nail that Columbian, would love to know what you're doing with it. I haven't got a roast right yet!

Comment

Originally posted by readeral View Post
          If you nail that Columbian, would love to know what you're doing with it. I haven't got a roast right yet!
          Came out of the roaster looking good, took it to just before SC, now for the taste test.

Comment

By all accounts it's very tasty, but all I've managed is the extremes of too acidic, or baking it. Might need to lower my batch and push it through 1st crack quite hard.

Comment

You've got me wondering! just turned the machine on, +36 hours post roast, gonna pull a shot, will report back.

Comment

Originally posted by readeral View Post
                By all accounts it's very tasty, but all I've managed is the extremes of too acidic, or baking it. Might need to lower my batch and push it through 1st crack quite hard.
                Yeah don't forget most Colombians are quite hard Al. My default approach would be plenty of heat up front, maybe ease back just a little about 75-80% of the way to 1C, but then ramped up again to give a good robust rolling 1C. Not too much post-1C development, just enough to ensure an even roast. Test and make adjustments from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                  Been roasting EH for quite some time, really enjoy it as a SO so suspect I will handle 50% without a problem, time will tell.

Sorry Yelta. I should have known better. Cheers Mate

Comment

Originally posted by LeroyC View Post
                    Yeah don't forget most Colombians are quite hard Al. My default approach would be plenty of heat up front, maybe ease back just a little about 75-80% of the way to 1C, but then ramped up again to give a good robust rolling 1C. Not too much post-1C development, just enough to ensure an even roast. Test and make adjustments from there.
                    Thanks LeroyC!

Comment

What can I say! my expectations were well and truly exceeded, to say this was a god shot would be an understatement.

18 grams in, approx 40ml out, monstrous crema, viscous syrupy pour, big chocolaty winey flavour, unbelievably complex and an after taste I'm still enjoying 10 minutes later, without doubt the best espresso I've had in years.

I'm not normally a person given to superlatives, however, this was spectacular.

And only 36 hours after roasting, it can only improve over the next week or so.Click image for larger version

Name:	ace-ventura-dance.gif
Views:	1
Size:	477.8 KB
ID:	742038

Comment

Be prepared for some very interesting and beautiful flavour development over the next few days mate.
                        It's pretty well a new experience every day...

Mal.

Comment

I've never managed to successfully roast monsooned beans but this thread is making me consider trying again.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                            Recently purchased a few kilo's each of India Elephant Hills Monsoon and Colombia La Esperanza Red Heirloom Bourbon, I really like the EH and the Colombian sounds like it should combine with it nicely.

Yesterday roasted a batch of 725 grams 50% of each, will trial it around the end of the week and report back.
                            Hey! I've been planning on blending those two! Curious to hear how they taste.

Comment

Originally posted by sprezzatura View Post
                              Hey! I've been planning on blending those two! Curious to hear how they taste.
                              See post 11 this thread Sprezz, your curiosity will be addressed.

Comment

Working...
                              X