X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee Blending.

When blending coffee, do you blend before roasting or after roasting ?​

G'day mate...

Either. If the beans in the blend are going to use similar individual profiles, then pre-blending works out very well. On the other hand, if various beans in the blend require quite divergent profiles to get the best out of them, then post-blending is the ideal way to go...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by phwoolf View Post
      When blending coffee, do you blend before roasting or after roasting ?​
      Mostly after roasting as I use a Behmor and I don't think it really suits preblending like other roasters. In saying that I've done a few preblended roasts where I knew the two origins would respond in a similar way to the profile I used. Both are viable methods IMO but blending after roasting gives you a few more options.

Comment

Many thanks guys. As I am new to the blending scene and am using a Behmor, initially, I will do my blending after roasting each bean separately. Once I have gained a lot more experience with various beans and their profiles I will try blending before roasting.

Comment

I use a Behmor and blend prior to roasting. I have had some great successes and very few failures. I don't experiment as much as some but I still think it is great.

Comment

I use the kjm blend or variants of it in a kkto. Most always pre blend unless I'm over capacity in the amount I want to roast

Comment

Coffee Blending is necessary for espresso since a single coffee origin will lack the complexity desired. It is important to remember that the advantage of espresso over other brewing methods is a result of the formation of the crema. Without the cream the espresso would be strong, thick coffee. The crema is an emulsified layer of tiny, smooth bubbles that trap aromatic compounds. This layer coats the tongue and these small bubbles break over time allowing espresso to be enjoyed long after it has been consumed. An aromatic coffee, therefore, is essential to a well-prepared espresso blend.

Comment

Originally posted by laura541 View Post
                Coffee Blending is necessary for espresso since a single coffee origin will lack the complexity desired. It is important to remember that the advantage of espresso over other brewing methods is a result of the formation of the crema. Without the cream the espresso would be strong, thick coffee. The crema is an emulsified layer of tiny, smooth bubbles that trap aromatic compounds. This layer coats the tongue and these small bubbles break over time allowing espresso to be enjoyed long after it has been consumed. An aromatic coffee, therefore, is essential to a well-prepared espresso blend.
                Do you mean espresso based milk drinks? I partly agree with this, but if you mean espresso in general I totally disagree. I'm doing a lot less blending than I used to because the coffees I'm getting are so good and make fantastic single origin espressos. You're right that sometimes they don't have enough 'oomph' to make a decent milk drink, but it's rare that they don't make a good espresso as long as I've done a good job of roasting them.

Comment

Not worth responding to the above thread Leroy...

It's just straight out plagiarised material pinched from a website, not even an attempt at attribution or any commentary by the poster...

Here...
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	EspressoBlending.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	742831

And here...
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	EspressoBlending-2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	742832

Mal.
                  Last edited by Dimal; 27 October 2016, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post

It's just straight out plagiarised material pinched from a website, not even an attempt at attribution or any commentary by the poster...

Here...
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]14280[/ATTACH]

And here...
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]14281[/ATTACH]

Mal.
                    Good detective work Mal. Yep some people try to look but end up looking .

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post

Here...
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]14280[/ATTACH]

And here...
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]14281[/ATTACH]

Mal.
                      I did wonder Mal, but I thought I'd respond and see what came back. Spambot? Troll? Maybe mods should just delete the post. Well spotted mate.

Comment

Good catch - did sound a little odd. And is not even true!
                        Don't tell my Gambella … or Yirg … or Harrar … or Sulawesi Blue it doesn't make good espresso - you'll hurts their feelings!

Comment

Originally posted by LeroyC View Post
                          I did wonder Mal, but I thought I'd respond and see what came back. Spambot? Troll? Maybe mods should just delete the post. Well spotted mate.
                          Unless they become a problem it's more fun to watch them get called out.

Java "Troll what?" phile
                          Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Javaphile View Post
                            Unless they become a problem it's more fun to watch them get called out.

Java "Troll what?" phile
                            Haha! Good call Java.

Comment

Originally posted by laura541 View Post
                              I'll never drink coffee again.
                              It sounds horrible.

Comment

Working...
                              X