Mocha Java variations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All you can do is taste. :-)
    See how they go - those Ugandan's are a lovely bean!

Comment

Just tried another batch of Sumatra Lake Toba/Ethopia Oromia roasted to CS8 this time. Man this is so much better than the CS11 batch Currently 6 days old and a lovely shot with none of the bitterness of the over roasted batch last week Should have enough to last the week and see how it develops.

Then it's off to a new experimental batch of 350g Guatemala Jacaltenango-100g Ethopia Ghimbi. Loved the spice of the Guatemala as an SO but thought a little Ghimbi might make a nice balance for a blend.

Mick

Comment

Originally posted by eaglemick View Post
        Then it's off to a new experimental batch of 350g Guatemala Jacaltenango-100g Ethopia Ghimbi. Loved the spice of the Guatemala as an SO but thought a little Ghimbi might make a nice balance for a blend.
        Mick
        how did this mix end up out of interest? I've just got my first bag of jacaltenango and will do it SO before attempting any blends. I've got the Ethiopian yirgacheff, would that still work instead of the ghimbi?
        Ta
        Link

Comment

Originally posted by daledugahole View Post
          how did this mix end up out of interest? I've just got my first bag of jacaltenango and will do it SO before attempting any blends. I've got the Ethiopian yirgacheff, would that still work instead of the ghimbi?
          Ta
          Link
          I only got it to CS8 so I think it would have been better darker. I also ran out way too soon to let it develop and ran out at 9 days post roast. At that point I liked it but had to increase the brerw temp to bring out the Ghimbi. Think it would be better around the 15 day mark too so let me know how you go.

Comment

After a fair while focussing on SO's to tune up my roast profiling and the like, just enjoying a batch of the old favourite, Mocha Java.
            Two separate roasts with a Blue Batak/Sulawesi Blue component roast and then a SO Gambella Sundried roast.
            Sublime! Amazing, aromatic chocolate as a F/W, and sweet fragrant, syrupy espresso with some fruits in there somewhere…

Why has it been so long!!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150117-SulBlue-BluBatak.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	738410 Click image for larger version

Name:	20150118-Gambella-20amb.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	738411

Comment

Has anyone tried Yirgacheffe in a mocha/ java blend? I've got some Sulewasi a Blue and Yirg Special prep and was wondering whether the Yirg would work ok or whether it's too "out there". I've only ever roasted Yirg lightly for filter/aeropress and can't imagine how it would go as an SO or part of a blend for espresso.

Comment

It would be an atypical MJ in my opinion.

If you're choosing BeanBay beans, perhaps Harrar, Gambella or if you want to do something wonderful, go the Yemen (we do!).

Comment

Second the above. It would give an 'interesting' MJ result!
                  I love the Yirg - and if you want a great blend, 50/50 Yirg and a central (Guat, Mex etc) gives an amazing spicy, aromatic, fruit result - but no chocolate

Comment

Thanks for confirming. It might be time to bite the bullet and order the Yemen.

Comment

Roasted up 1kg of Yemen Mocha Ismail/Sulawesi Blue 50/50 blend, taken to the first snaps of second crack, roast time of 14min30sec.
                      Pulled an espresso shot this morning (9 days post roast) with rich viscous mouthfeel, sweet, rich dark cocoa notes with a hint of spice and lingering bittersweet cocoa on the palate.
                      Just had a flat white displaying rich caramel/chocolate/cocoa notes punching through the milk, my wife even commented on the taste after having had no taste with the flu for days!!!

Comment

Ethiopian Shakisso and West Java Gr1 blended roughly 50/50 has been a seriously delicious combination. I drink almost exclusively flat whites so obviously the milk and in my case full cream cows milk, plays a flavour role. If the milk isn't textured well the result can be compromised but if textured well the milk adds sweetness and for me highlights the chocolate flavours as well as adding another layer of richness. But back to the blend. For me and by no means do I consider myself anything other than a backyard roaster the Java bean seems to round out the flavour of the Shakisso at the same time lifting both beans to a combined greater height. From start to finish this cup is pure joy and the last sip sends me straight back for another. It is so good it's dangerous. It reminds me of red wine descriptions like forest floor. There is a dark wonderful richness that has very apparently gotten me excited. At least I hope it is the coffee and not the lockdown.
                        I have some other great coffees to try more mocha java versions in the near future including the original Yemen. Look forward to tasting and comparing those.

Comment

Took Andys advice and blended West Java Gr1 and Gambella 50/50 , what can I say but wow, smooth choc and sweet, forgiving beans, I'm roasting pretty rough- an old flour sifter with the sifter part taken out, hand shaken over a camp gas stove.

Comment

Working...
                          X