Mocha Java variations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go for it 'lm'...
    40/60 is my preferred blend of the two (Indo/Ismaili). Still have loads of Ismaili influence in the end result and the Indo. just works in wonderful synchronicity.

Mal.

Comment

MxD - I happen to have a bag of Sulawesi and have ordered some Yemen and am curious as to why this combo for a blend? I've never blended before (newbie) but this piqued my interest.

Comment

Mocka Java - Mocha Java - Mokha Java
        (Arabic to English means spelling is pretty random but phonetically correct)

Basically an amount of Yemen coffee, shipped from the Mokha port blended with an amount of a Java bean which was usually from any one of the Indonesian Islands.

Personally my ultimate Mocha Java is Yemen Ismaili and Sulawesi Blue 50/50 but you can get creative and substitute other beans to suit availability or budget.

The combo is one of the oldest commercial blends and often the first blend that anyone (older anyone maybe) thinks of. It was well marketed worldwide for a long time.

Why those two? Well as a coffee roaster my thought is that it's not because the blending of those two improve either one but its a great way to make Yemen go further. The Indo is fat bodied, earthy and savoury the Yemen is fat bodied, savoury and carries sultana and dark cocoa attributes. The two compliment each other but not necessarily better than Yemen alone

...but you can try it and make-up your own mind!

Comment

• itsali
          itsali commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Andy ! Looking forward to getting my bag of Yemeni and having a little cupping session with some SB to experience this

• Andy
          Andy commented
          Editing a comment
          SB - Silly bugger?
          No extra charge for keystrokes on CoffeeSnobs and it makes everything more readable for everyone

• itsali
          itsali commented
          Editing a comment
          SB = Sulawesi Blue ?

Plan to roast Sulawesi Blue and Yemen separately. Then taste: 100% sulawesi, 100% yemen, 50/50 blend, in a hope to bed the theory into practice and into taste bud memory!

Originally posted by Andy View Post
        The two compliment each other but not necessarily better than Yemen alone

...bbut you can try it and make-up your own mind!
        Wise words indeed. I have heard of the M/J blend and am yet to try it.....however....the Yemeni I have roasted and drank as espresso definitely did not need any additional origins to complement or enhance its flavour.

Comment

Would this qualify? 20% Tanzanian Ngoro Ngoro, 40% Guatemala Huehuetenango; 40% West Java. Roasted last night and a smooth cup today!

Comment

• Andy
            Andy commented
            Editing a comment
            Nup, not even close. The acidity in the Tanzanian and the Guatemalan isn't in a mocha java.
            You really need something from the Mokah port to call it Mocha Java. Some roasters will substitute a dry processed Ethiopian to get in the ball-park but if it doesn't have Yemen it's not "mokah"

6 days post roast, I decided to cup the Sulawesi Blue and Yemeni Hamasil along with some blend combos (because the smells were overwhelming to wait any longer).

The 50/50 blend was arguably more enjoyable to me, than the 100% Yemen!

Click image for larger version

Name:	cupping.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	858260
          Attached Files

Comment

Have roasted 60% Mocha Ismaeli and 40% West Java. Will leave to rest for at least 10 days and will see how it goes. Roasted in a KL roaster with the MD3 profile to level 4 (as BOSW recommends).

Sniff

Comment

Working...
            X