Brazil + Ethiopia + Colombia + El Salvador

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brazil + Ethiopia + Colombia + El Salvador

I'm wanting to create a nice blend using Brazil + Ethiopia + Colombia + El Salvador beans, using a Sunbeam popcorn maker, as beginning to my home roasting journey.
    Is it possible to recreate something similar to the KJM blend or are there other blending possibilities I should be looking at?

I hear Brazil + Ethiopia is a reliable combo, though not sure of the percentages.

Any advice appreciated!

If you are just starting to roast try roasting a few of your beans and blend them post roast and find out what flavour profiles you come up with. Happy roasting!
    Cheers
    Greeman

Comment

Originally posted by greenman View Post
      If you are just starting to roast try roasting a few of your beans and blend them post roast and find out what flavour profiles you come up with. Happy roasting!
      Cheers
      Greeman
      Have to agree with Greenman here, roasting them separately, that way you can try them individually and you might find you may like certain ones. This also gives you ideas on what you might think will go together and what might. This is the fun part, experimenting.

Cheers,

Chris

Comment

As a new roaster as well, I have found the above advice to be perfect.

I did my first roasts the other weekend of 350g Ethiopian and 350g Colombian (roasted separately).
        I measure out the ratios I want directly into the grinder each coffee. That way I can explore the flavours try lots of different things.

Comment

Originally posted by tcab View Post
          ... as beginning to my home roasting journey.
          Is it possible to recreate something similar to the KJM blend or are there other blending possibilities I should be looking at?
          Welcome to CS and great 1st post. I am really impressed that you have obviously done some research and found the KJM blend before asking a question. I agree with the posts above, roast your single origins, try them to get an understanding of what they are like but use some of the beans in various combinations as blends to understand how they work together. If for example you have a few different beans don't just mix all the beans in one hit. If you are using 16g of beans for a shot just take 8g of two different beans and see how it goes. If it fails you still have your single origins and don't have to work through a blend you don't like, if it works it becomes a regular. As you gain more experience you may try three beans in different proportions to highlight what appeals to you.
          The KJM blend is a great starting point as well because Kevin put in quite a bit of effort to get the outcome he was seeking so some of the work has already been done for you .
          I find that a Peru or Costa Rica works well with Ethiopians or alternatively a couple of Ethiopians together works really well. Indonesian West Java, Sumatra or Sulawesi beans can add earthy and spice notes. It is like Tattslotto there are loads of combinations but you will know when you hit a jackpot or get a winning combination.
          Do not hesitate to ask questions there are years of experience on this forum and some really helpful members.
          I am still blown away by a 1st post referencing KJM great effort researching. Good luck and post some feedback on your blending results

Comment

• Beanz.
            Beanz. commented
            Editing a comment
            I cannot figure out how to edit previous post but just wanted to add that looking at the beans you have on hand I would be trying your Ethiopian as a single origin then try a 50/50 mix of the Ethiopian first with your Brazil then with the Colombian and then El Salvadore. That will give you a great start to understanding how the shots will change in each instance There are plenty of people on the forum with much more experience so hopefully they offer their thoughts.

Thanks everyone for the words of advice and encouragement!

Given I have only these particular four green beans to choose from I will experiment however I am intrigued by the KJM blend idea and wondering about what substitutions I can make to achieve it using the four bean types I am getting (Brazil + Ethiopia + Colombia + El Salvador).

The official KJM is

60g Peru Ceja de Silva
          50g Guatamalan Huehuetenango
          80g Ethiopian xxx
          60g Indonesion yyy

But the only bean that I will have that matches is the Ethiopian...

There was this post by commanda many years ago that spoke in more abstract terms about bean types and characteristics, and described a blend claimed to be similar to the KJM blend like this:

4 parts Base.
          3 parts Highlight
          2 parts Tamer
          1 part Kicker

And defined those abstract terms, as well as suggesting substitutions e.g.

Base = Brazil / Indian / Peru Ceja
          Highlight = African / Ethiopian
          Tamer = Indonesian / Sumatran
          Kicker = Robusta

How would Colombian beans be described using the base/highlight/tamer/kicker system?
          What about El Salvador beans?
          Guatamalan Huehuetenango?

Comment

• Beanz.
            Beanz. commented
            Editing a comment
            If you are really keen on the KJM I would be adding either Indonesia-West-Java or Sulawesi-Blue-triple-sort both of which are in BeanBay. Use the Brazil + Ethiopian + one of the above beans. Then do a couple of blends for comparison one with your Columbia and one with your El Salvador. At some point you may wish to add the Guatemala Huehuetenango to your Green Bean stash and then try that as well. You can never have too many bean options on hand

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 8.58.25 pm.png
Views:	263
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	828100

After some further analysis of the KJM vs Amanda blends, despite the claim by Amanda that her blend is similar to KJM, the graphs show otherwise?

---

Anyway, I finally roasted all my Brazil + Ethiopia + Colombia + El Salvador beans, which are the only beans I have to experiment with at the moment. Initial early impressions:
          1. El Salvador by itself I found pleasant, solid though a bit soft and undistinguished (apologies for my unrefined coffee vocabulary). I suspect its a good base in a blend? Or a Tamer?
          2. Ethiopia by itself I found spicy, bright and acidic - not really my thing. Has that "single origin" acidic bright hipster vibe to it.
          3. Adding a small amount of Ethiopia to the El Salvador made a more interesting drink - my first blend! But still doesn't compare in depth of flavour to the good commercial blends I have in my cupboard.
          I will try some more blending experiments tomorrow, armed with my newly roasted beans from Brazil and Colombia, after letting them rest 24 hours. My cast iron roasting on those this afternoon was (I feel) more successful. I pulled back earlier in the roast, relying on cooking feel and colour rather than 1st crack/2nd crack observations.

Comment

Ok - tried my cooked, rested, Brazil and Columbian beans today. Wow - interesting.

The "roasting by eye and colour" approach turned out well, thus I didn't over cook them.

Tastewise:
            • Brazil - loved it - this is the kind of flavour I love - a "normal" coffee taste.
            • Columbian - gosh, its got that strong single origin hipster taste - I don't like it by itself. The Columbian beans from Aldi tasted the same, so I think I'm getting a consistent experience of Columbian. I don't know how to describe that peculaiar taste it has - is it more or less acidity? Does anybody know how to describe that Columbian taste?
            So since I liked the El Salvador (albiet it was a bit one dimensional and watery by itself, though I may have over cooked it) and loved the Brazil, I tried this combination:
            • 40% Brazil
            • 40% El Salvador
            • 20% Columbian
            and the result was good. Fresh tasting with complexity approaching that of commercial roasts.

I'm getting hooked on this roasting and blending hobby! I feel like perfecting a blend and sharing it with my dubious friends who think I'm going down a mad rabbit hole!

Comment

"Does anyone know how to describe that Colombian taste?"

I googled "typical Colombian coffee flavour profile". The first site I looked at said "The classic Colombian profile—as with other better-quality coffees from Peru, etc—brings together a mellow acidity and a strong caramel sweetness, perhaps with a nutty undertone." Seems to sum it up pretty well.

Comment

What always struck me about good Colombian coffees (not the Esperanza though - in its own league that one) is the intense pure coffee flavour that they seems to have. There's a little of what Alex mentions above and sometimes even a little fruitiness but the main thing for me has always been that terrific clean, pure coffee intensity...

Mal.

Comment

• AlexHeyworth
                  AlexHeyworth commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have to agree with Mal on this one. If I had to sum up Colombian in one word, it would be "strong". No single part of the flavour profile really stands out (unlike eg the bright acidity of Ethiopians or the earthiness of Indonesians). It just seems to be intense.

I just stumbled on a nice commercial blend which is 50% Brazil and 50% Columbian. Loved it. I wonder what adding the Brazil is doing to the overall blend?

Comment

The Brazil bean will generally sweeten the blend, reduce acidity and increase the body.

Comment

Working...
                  X