• Blending Robusta beans with Arabica?

Hi all

I've bought the following beans from Bean Bay:

Click image for larger version

Name:	0.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	894205

As you can see, I've bought two varieties of Robusta beans. I did it out of curiosity, just to see what the difference was.

Doing some research, I've found that I should roast them darker and rest them for longer (I'm told 2 weeks minimum).

I roast with the Kaffelogic Nano 7, and usually blend 4-5 varieties of beans for mainly flat whites and occasional espresso.

Would a 1:1:1:1:1 blend of one variety of Robusta and four varieties of Arabica work?

Here is the result from the roast, the larger beans are the Java Jumbo and the smaller beans the Brazil Honey.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	894206

Thanks in advance!

Would a 1:1:1:1:1 blend of one variety of Robusta and four varieties of Arabica work?
    Possibly but 20% robusta might be a little strong. I've rarely used more than 15% robusta and have never blended with more than 4 beans
    Since you are post-blending your beans you could play around with the proportions.

Comment

• Grumpybarista
      Grumpybarista commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree with
      flynnaus
      flynnaus. Also, you may want to experiment with how dark to roast the Robusta and how long to rest it to see what works best to complement the rest of the blend.

• Dimal
      Dimal commented
      Editing a comment
      Rarely use more than 12% Robusta for the vast majority of our blends, usually only 10%.
      Also, while darker is better, you don't want to overdo it as with the Robustas I've used, found it to be best if pulled and cooled just before 2nd-Crack gets a roll-on...

Definitely needs a longer rest time though, two weeks would be the minimum for what we like in blends. Gotta get some more Robusta too, have nearly run out...

Thanks all - sorry I started this thread, then went on holiday, and completely forgot about it until now!

Appreciate all the tips, and I'll aim to use 10-15% Robusta in my blends. Will post results in a few weeks!

Comment

Working...
    X