PNG Sigri roast profiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PNG Sigri roast profiles

go on, dare you to use this thread not the JBM one!

Re: PNG Sigri roast profiles

Originally posted by poundy link=1155551523/0#0 date=1155551523
    go on, dare you to use this thread not the JBM one!
    As a very funny man with a crew cut and slightly rotund disposition once said.... "Soitny"

My fave roast for Sigri goes something like this using my old faithful popper (havent roasted any Sigri with the BM just yet)....

Using 170 grams of beans in an ambient of 25deg C, pour into pre-heated popper and stir for about a minute or so until the beans are moving around vigorously on their own.
    First snaps of 1st Crack start at around the 4:50 minute mark with Rolling 1st Crack under way by 5:30 minutes. Rolling 1st Crack finishes at 6:50 with the odd late snaps up to around 7:30 minutes.
    If allowed to progress that far, 2nd Crack will start close to the 12:15 mark, with Rolling 2nd Crack commencing at 13:00 minutes. However, I dont allow the beans to reach even the first signs of 2nd Crack, preferring to halt the roast at the 11:30 to 11:40 mark, mainly determined by time and assisted by the bean appearance, aroma and colour. After which, the beans are immediately dumped into my bean-cooler (cardboard box with ventilation fan installed) and cooled down to ambient temperature within a minute.

The end resulting roast is pretty dark, no signs of oil but the beans possess a dull, satin sheen to them which seems to disperse as the beans are cooled. I realise that this seems to be a fairly slow roast using a popper but it definitely suits the Sigri beans a lot better than the normal "its all over bar the shouting in 6 minutes roast". Hope this helps a bit ,

Mal.

Comment

Im quite unlearned when it comes to the origins of beans, so I have a few questions:
      Is the PNG A Grade washed from the last poll different from this bean??
      What are the main variants of the PNG bean? I have read that Kimil and sigri are different estates, are there many more?
      How does the latest polls PNG A Grade Washed fit in?

Any info would be greatly appreciated,

Rob

Comment

Hi frad,

No, the PNG A Grade and Sigri Estate beans are not the same but possibly from similar origins a few decades ago? All in all, there are dozens of individual coffee estates throughout PNG, from the Eastern Highlands right through to the Western and Central Highlands. Beans from estates covering these geographical regions are quite distinct from each other and most are very interesting.

The PNG A Grade is not a single estate bean as such but more a collection from various estates from within and around several regions that rely on single large processors, who usually have their own plantations as well. Heres a site that explains it a lot better than I can.... http://www.nghce.com.pg/png_coffee and another with a more general overview... http://www.coffeecorp.org.pg/Coffee%20in%20PNG.html. All the best,

Mal.

Comment

Working...
        X