Brazil Caxambu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brazil Caxambu?

Could someone with some experience give me some info on how this polls Brazil Caxambu should taste? I have done 2 roasts one in drum one in breadmaker. drum was taken to just before 2nd crack, bm to just after 2nd crack. Both seen to have roasted very unevenly and they both exhibit an unpleasant overpowering smell.

I don’t have the knowledge to describe well what I am tasting but even at 15% in a blend it overpowers all other coffee flavors and ruins the taste. All I can say is its bright and unpleasant. The smell hits and makes me wince.

Its not my equipment which has all been cleaned and blends without this bean taste fine. My roasts normally produce consistent even roasts but not with this bean (Including ones done since.)
    Of course the taste maybe normal and I just don’t like the coffee.

Anyway any info would be appreciated.

Re: Brazil Caxambu?

Hi DK60 ,

Would you be able to provide us with an idea of the roast profile that you use, e.g.

Time to 1st Crack
    Time to End of 1st Crack
    Time to Start of 2nd Crack
    Time to Start of Rolling 2nd Crack, and
    Overall roast duration just prior to cooling the beans.

This info will help us get an idea of the state of the beans and if you could supply some pictures, that would be even more help ;D. All the best,

Mal.

Comment

hi Mal

The first roast was 5 days ago
      first crack 11m, finish 16m 30s (at start of second crack) not sure of the time to finish of first crack but i find 1st usually last 2 - 2.5m, cooled to room temp in 90s

2nd roast 4 days ago
      first crack 9m, finish 14m (at rolling 2nd crack) not sure of the time to finish of first crack, cooled to room temp in 90s

both were stored in open jar, dark cupboard for 24hrs then sealed air tight.

photo shows 2nd on left 1st on right

cheers
      David
      [img][/img]

Comment

sorry not sure what happened to image i will try again
        [img][/img]

Comment

Originally posted by dkelly60 link=1156038634/0#0 date=1156038634
          Could someone with some experience give me some info on how this polls Brazil Caxambu should taste? I have done 2 roasts one in drum one in breadmaker. drum was taken to just before 2nd crack, bm to just after 2nd crack. Both seen to have roasted very unevenly and they both exhibit an unpleasant overpowering smell.  

I don’t have the knowledge to describe well what I am tasting but even at 15% in a blend it overpowers all other coffee flavors and ruins the taste. All I can say is its bright and unpleasant. The smell hits and makes me wince.
          As this bean is pulp dry processed I expected some unevenness in the roasting (like the Sumatra). However, I found this bean to be the most uneven roast I have experienced (refer to picture). In fact I did a second roast to check the differences and they were both comparable. Some beans appear city while others appear full city+. The aroma doesnt seem unpleasant at all.
          As I only roasted it yesterday, Ill let you know how it tastes in a few days.

The roast pictured was stopped just on rolling second crack with my drum roaster. FC @ 16 minutes, SC @ 21 minutes with a 500g batch.

Comment

Hi David,

From your times, it seems to take a bit longer than ideal to get to 1st Crack.... Id reckon you should be looking to have rolling 1st Crack started by 8 minutes in a small Drum Roaster, and probably similar times for the BM. If temperatures are where they need to be, 1st Crack should be all over by the 10 minute mark, by which time you can back the heat off a bit and let it coast up to the start of 2nd Crack by about 13-14 minutes, rolling 2nd should begin about 30-45 seconds after this.

With high quality Brazils like this one though, you dont really want it getting anywhere near 2nd Crack and probably should be looking to pull the roast and start cooling at anything from 50-30 seconds before the start of Rolling 2nd Crack. Id even go so far as to suggest that 30 seconds before the start of the first crackles of 2nd Crack even starts would be a good place to start.

From your photos, the roasts look very even but if you think it could be better, its most likely a result of heat distribution. Maybe you need to try and observe closely what is going on in your drum roaster, to see if there is some draughting going on inside where cool air is being sucked in and circulated. If you had a DMM with t/couple, you could take some measurements at equally spaced out locations within the roaster to determine what is actually going on. Maybe the heat source is too close to the drum such that a significant percentage of the roast is being achieved via conduction rather than convection? I guess only close observation will determine that really.

With the BM, maybe its just a matter of trying to find the ideal location/angle to set your heatgun at the heat setting you use in order for the heat to be more evenly distributed? You could also try using the DMM with t/c here too, just to give you a more definitive idea of whats actually going on, and observe very closely what is happening, at a detail level, in the pan while the roast is progressing? Thats about all I can think of for the moment but I guess it comes down to your needing to find the time to do some really close observation and if possible, measurements to back that up. Hope some of this helps, all the best,

Mal.

Comment

I forgot to mention that I would be happy to post some out so experienced user can compare to their roast. This would help me see if my roast is the problem or if its my tastebuds at fault

Comment

Mal thanks for the feedback, suprisingly the beans look more even in the photo than they do to the eye. I think I will try faster and lighter roast.

Comment

Actually David,

I thought the roast on the R/H side didnt look too bad.... probably a bit dark but given enough time to rest, at least 48 hours, and I would think it should cup reasonably well. Good Brazil beans tend to be a very mild, caramelly, toffee kind of flavoured bean and usually with low acidity and plenty of sweetness, the main reason that so many commercial roasters use heaps of them as the basis in almost all of their blends. For me though, I dont really like them all that much as they seem too subtle for what I expect in a cup.... I must admit to liking plenty of punch in my blends and tend to use mostly PNG and/or Central American beans as a base. Each to his/her own in the end though.

I guess you could send me a few beans from each roast with samples of the un-evenness youre talking about, but Im not too sure just how much help this would be. I think if you try to roast smallish batches and try to pay attention to the items I raised earlier, you would discover what you need to know a lot quicker than posting beans back and forward, and then be well on your way to achieving truly exceptional roasts. Where-abouts are you located? Perhaps an experienced fellow snob, not too distantly located from you, might be able to meet up and help you get things sorted out a bit quicker? Might be worth a go . All the best mate, hope things come good soon,

Cheerio,
                  Mal.

Comment

Mal Im in outer east of melbourne. Your description sounds good but my beans dont seem to match.
                    If you could pm an address I will send some beans, your right it would be good to have someone local but I am sure you could tell me if they taste as you would expect.
                    Thankfully my other beans I love, with the favorites being harrar, peru, png peaberry & costa rica I have just done mandheling which already smells great but I will be patient and wait for at least 24hrs
                    I was one of the lucky people, living in melbourne, Andy worked his magic and the beans seemed to arrive before they were sent 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by dkelly60 link=1156038634/0#9 date=1156071752
                      I was one of the lucky people, living in melbourne, Andy worked his magic and the beans seemed to arrive before they were sent 8-)
                      Now thats clever [smiley=grin.gif],

No worries David, if youre still unhappy with them send me about 50-60 grams or so and Ill see what I think of them. Address PMed to you. Ive got some very subtle Brazil Cup of Excellence winners from last years crop stashed away somewhere.... Ill dig them out and roast up a small batch the way I like them (as described above) and post em off to you if you like. Youll probably need to use a Zip-Lock bag to put them in and Ill do likewise.

Bean swap in the mail..... what next on CoffeeSnobs ,
                      Mal.

Comment

I did 2 batches today (with my new, much better, popper) and I got very uneven roasts too.. I used your profile mal, keen to see how they taste.
                        Start of 2nd crack was 13.30 and I stopped at 13 on my last batch. First was about 6.30 last crack 8.30, is this too quick?

Comment

Originally posted by frad link=1156038634/0#11 date=1156333418
                          Start of 2nd crack was 13.30 and I stopped at 13 on my last batch. First was about 6.30 last crack 8.30, is this too quick?
                          These times look pretty fair to me frad [smiley=thumbsup.gif] and the duration of 1st Crack is ok. Will wait with bated breath until I read your impressions of the resulting brews :P.... hope it all goes well 8-),

Cheers,
                          Mal.

Comment

This seems to be a very intersting bean. 5 days post roast I opened the container and noticed a very strong smell of Blueberries - similar to a Harrar I picked up a few months ago. The shot came out very dark (almost black) in colour. The flavour went totally against what I was expecting. There was a nutty flavour with a slightly burned rice taste coming through. The body came through very strong and had an almost pleasant and long aftertaste. I am still puzzled by this bean and am not sure if I like or dislike it.

Comment

Many thanks to Mal, the beans arrived, he tasted and confirmed that they were not as he would expect. After his suggestion that the roast went too far i decided to remove the lightest roast beans and taste them. They showed some improvement. I have also had noticed the second roast (which was darker) was worse tasting than the first.
                              Based on this i did 2 roasts today. The first was done in my drum, i reduced the weight to speed the roast and intended run just past the end of 1st crack. The problem was I listened intently for the end of 1st crack and found myself at rolling 2nd crack :-?. Disaster the beans are uneven dark and just starting a light oil sheen .
                              Second roast i decided to use heatgun method forget sound and roast to color only. Result was city roast at 9 min. I will update the taste after 48

cheers
                              David

Comment

Working...
                              X