Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PNG Peaberry

Heaven.

Used the presso tonight on the beans I roasted to the start of the 2nd crack on Monday night. The result was a rich coffee with caramel and chocolate. Really superb SO and thanks Andy very much for putting it up on bean bay again!

Re: PNG Peaberry

It was an awesome bean, for sure, for sure.

My wife wanted me to keep a whole 60kg bag (TRUE STORY) but I managed to convince her that we might have enough coffee already and obviously more great CS beans to come!

Enjoy!

Comment

Mmmm, I never got Chocolate flavours, more of an intense fruit flavour, well rounded, in an espresso... I will have to roast some more (oh what a shame haha) and perhaps roast a little more into start of 2nd crack...as I love getting Choc flavours in espresso.

Having said that, what I tasted was GOOD :-)

It sure does roast nice and even though...

Comment

Yep,

This and the PNG Sihereni are amongst my favourite beans for sure. I know Lucas impressions are that his experience of PNG bean varieties lack "body" and "mouth-feel", but that has never been mine..... Maybe the roast profile has something to do with it :-?,

Mal.

Comment

The Jaspers PNG (organic & fairtrade) "Okapa" is one of the nicest coffees Ive had - I use it regularly to supplement whatever home roast is going at my place (unless its the peaberry). Its citrusy and plummy but also has a deeper/fuller side to it which makes it work as a SO, but I have it with milk so it might not be so good as an espresso.. The PNG beans seem to be like the Australian red wines - full of pazzaz that offends traditionalists but a total hit with those more open to it.. i dont mean that to be as provocative as it sounds.. basically, if you like it, you really like it

Comment

I tried the Peaberry last night. The first shot was very thick syrupy dominated by fruit with low acid. Very much like coffee wine.

I may try roasting darker as well to push the flavour a bit more towards chocolate... Very promising, but not there yet for me. Still its early days...

Comment

Originally posted by Mal link=1160560971/0#3 date=1160615425
              This and the PNG Sihereni are amongst my favourite beans for sure. I know Lucas impressions are that his experience of PNG bean varieties lack "body" and "mouth-feel", but that has never been mine..... Maybe the roast profile has something to do with it :-?
              Roast profile might have something to do with it. The one that I find the most watery and with the least mouthfeel is the Sigri. The varietal might have something to do with it - I think that that particular bean has JBM rootstock. My favourite PNG is the Kimel, which can be a bit low on body, but has an amazing crispness. Plus its just a joy to roast.

The generalisation about peaberries is that they are a bit more concentrated. I certainly thought that the Daterra peaberry was more syrupy than the Sweet Collection ... and boy was it sweet! So I wouldnt at all be surprised if the same held true for the PNG peaberry. Does anyone know what it is a peaberry of?

It seems a bit dangerous to make broad generalisations like "PNG = thin." Varietal and processing will surely have a lot to do with it. All of the PNG coffees that I have seen have been very clean washed, which - and this is just a guess - might have something to do with "thinness." But if they were, for example, to try a natural process, one would presume that they would develop a lot more body and mouthfeel. Of course, Id imagine that a natural process would be very, very difficult in PNG.

Beans that make thinner espresso tend to be the ones that I really enjoy as a french press or vac pot.

Your idea about roast levels certainly makes sense to me. I know of more than one roaster offering a "blend" of the same PNG bean at three different roast levels.

My wife wanted me to keep a whole 60kg bag (TRUE STORY) but I managed to convince her that we might have enough coffee already and obviously more great CS beans to come!
              She sounds like a keeper ;P

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Ive managed some excellent espresso with this. Really like coffee wine in flavour/body. Very nice. However I havent managed to get it to cut through milk very well. So an even darker roast may be called for.

Quite an exciting bean, especially if it becomes my espresso bean.

Cheers,

Mark.

Comment

Gday Mark,

Actually, for a really interesting brew to use with milk, just divide your roast into two batches.... Roast one batch through to the start of rolling 2nd and the other about a minute before the first snaps of 2nd. Mix the batches together post-roast and give that a go after a couple of days degassing.

Have found this to produce rich chocolaty brews in milk with plenty of the complexity coming through to make it interesting. I dont usually have these in a true latte though, more like a doppio piccolo. Gotta have those complex nuances coming through otherwise its just another coffee ,

Mal.

Comment

I found this slightly bitter after 2 days so left it and after 6 days it was wonderful, what I call earthy and fruity. Took it just to the start of second crack so next time plan to take it further then maybe try Mals idea of 2 batches.

Comment

I just tried my first batch from the popper.

A few hours shy of 2 days on.

Ill say now my palate is nowhere near able to detect more than "good" or "bad".

But my wife is a discerning red wine drinker and drinks her coffee black.

She has not been drinking much coffee lately but this morning asked for one as I was about to grind for my test.
                      So she became the "guinea pig" (pun intended).

She liked it! Woot!!!

The grind was a bit fine for her shot and she asked too late for a single shot but I pulled a short shot from the double which was running slow from the grind anyway and then ended up topping up her long black after the pour (losing the crema).
                      All the things that went wrong aside, she liked it.

So thats all that need be said.

Except that I adjusted the grind, got a well timed pour and made myself a flat white and to me it tasted "good".

Comment

Originally posted by Mal link=1160560971/0#8 date=1160816466
                        Actually, for a really interesting brew to use with milk, just divide your roast into two batches.... Roast one batch through to the start of rolling 2nd and the other about a minute before the first snaps of 2nd. Mix the batches together post-roast and give that a go after a couple of days degassing.

Have found this to produce rich chocolaty brews in milk with plenty of the complexity coming through to make it interesting. I dont usually have these in a true latte though, more like a doppio piccolo. Gotta have those complex nuances coming through otherwise its just another coffee ,
                        Mal,

What a blend..... the taste is AWESOME!!! as an espresso. And it does cut through the milk quite well - and a very smooth chocolaty latte is the result.

The initial pour was just about all crema.... settling to over half by volume (and that was with the grind just a little too coarse).

This blend is certainly one of my favourites so far

Comment

I must try this.... Might roast some up tonight...

Comment

I have my two batches blended and ready to grind.............

Comment

Originally posted by JavaB link=1160560971/0#11 date=1162473258
                              This blend is certainly one of my favourites so far
                              Yes mate,

Me too, right up there near the top of my fave list 8-),

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                              X