Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monsooned Malabar

I roasted a small batch of these.

very odd yellow beans - interesting fragrance - cross between a damp sock and a King Island blue cheese.

Roasted nicely - very even at first crack and lots cracked together - good gap to second.

They came up a lovely chocolaty colour with a nice gloss on the beans - not oil, but a polished look - I guess from the weathering.

Re: Monsooned Malabar

Grendel

WoooHooo

Looking good there!! Love blue cheese but I can do without the damp sox.

Now you just have to sit out a week+ for best results..

(bet you dont wait)

Comment

Malabar also has the tendency to crack very loud. If under-rested, the damp sox comes through in the cup.

Comment

I do remember someone mentioning this is a crema monster and I am hoping to add a small amount to my Presso blend - to boost the Crema. Im getting great coffee from it now but sacrificing the crema.

Comment

Twas me Im afraid. I wouldnt only use it for crema. It has other endearing qualities as well. Its just discovering the exact amount of roasting and resting. Once you get this one right, its top stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by grendel link=1161868981/0#3 date=1161870071
            I do remember someone mentioning this is a crema monster and I am hoping to add a small amount to my Presso blend - to boost the Crema. Im getting great coffee from it now but sacrificing the crema.
            Makes sense!

Like nunu said, make sure that they are well rested before use.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

The babies are asleep in their brown paper crib right now - with a dont wake till thursday note on them.

Comment

Make sure you burp them.

Comment

Oh! I forgot to add - I got my new electronic scales and started logging loss of mass for each bean type - The Malabars lost 16% of total mass during the roasting process.

I am going to chart this for each bean batch that I get until I have a comprehensive database of it.

Why?

Im a nerd, thats why.

Comment

Thats interesting, I roasted 100g and came out with 88g, only a 12% loss. Also weighed on electronic scales. I roasted just into 2nd crack, but they still look a lot lighter than other roasts, a dark golden colour - can someone tell me if this is normal? Id rather not let them sit for a week only to find that I screwed the roast and I have to wait another week before trying them.....

Comment

that is about the way mine turned out - I thought they would be darker for the time they had.

Comment

I too had my first Monsooned Malabar roasting experience on the weekend. My wife is pregnant at the moment, and the smell of them green sends her in the direction of the porcelain bus. Definitely the most "interesting" smell of green beans my nostrils have encountered.

The sound of these beans during first crack was incredible. Ive never heard such a distinctive and loud first crack. I think having roasted this once now, I will always recognise the sound. The look of them once roasted was a very golden colour, but very even.

So, I had friends around yesterday, and we did some cupping of this one, and 6 other varieties I roasted on Saturday. It would have been nice to wait another day or two for the beans to relax a bit, but unfortunately the days between Monday and Friday, I dont get to focus on coffee. Anyway, these friends had never cupped before, and I had only done it a couple of times. The Malabar got the thumbs up for aroma, both dry and wet. Taste was very full, but not overpowering. I think the beanbay said "youll either love it or hate it". Im in the "love it" camp. Great bean. Hopefully this will be a repeat bean in a few months on bean bay!!

Comment

Did my first Malabar roast today....

They certainly do roast beautifully to a nice even chocolate brown - even though they were taken well into the second crack.... and has been observed before - you couldnt miss the cracks from these babies. :

Interesting they appear to be no bigger than they were when green (could even be a little smaller :-/)

Now to let them rest for a week.

Comment

A week you say??!! :-?
                            I have heard that robusta need a couple of weeks too! :-/
                            Are there any other speific beans and resting times that go beyond or before the standard 48 hours??
                            RH

Comment

Cupped mine this morning. Let it rest ~6 days. This is a big one indeed

Loads of crema as expected, very viscous and dark. Some of it was even left in the glass after I was done drinking.

The aroma while grinding was intense, a combination of spices and fruit wafting around in the kitchen.

In the cup, it is a monster. Hints of cinnamon and blueberries. Strong earthy overtones dominate. Acidity is medium. Light in the front palate, huge in the middle, and medium to light in the back. Mouthfeel is very rich, almost cloying. The finish is long and smooth.

It definitely has the oomph to cut through milk, so milk-based drinks will still be potent. Very versatile, either as a SO, in a blend, or as a SO blend.

Good thing I got myself a decent quantity. Id hate to be running out of this one anytime soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X