Sulawesi Kalosi Toraja

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sulawesi Kalosi Toraja

Just cupped some of this up in various blends. I think that it is worth mentioning that this bean can give off really nasty grassy and woody flavours if it is under-roasted, much moreso than any other bean that I have tried. However, if you notice this in the cup, resting the beans for another five days or so might cure it.

I was interested to see that this actually gave a lot of mouthfeel when we were cupping it the other day, so I have two different roasts of it to try out with some other stuff as a plunger blend at the green bean pickup this weekend.

As an espresso, this delivers the sort of sweet syrupy body that one associates with indonesians, but without the dirt and funk that you would associate with a mandheling. Personally, I dont mind that in a good mandheling, but it is nice to have options.

Cheers,

Luca

Re: Sulawesi Kalosi Toraja

Luca

What is your recommended roast for this bean - do you go much into second crack? Some of the other internet sites recommend not going too dark with the Sulawasi.

Regards

Ron

Comment

Gday Idler,

Given that we all have different palates and therefore respond differently to the various olfactory stimuli of our much loved brew, the ideal roast of a particular bean for you may not be the same as it is for me or others :-?.

That being said though, a quick way to determine in which direction your preferences may lie, is to roast three small batches of the bean, say 50-80 grams in size. Roast the first batch through to the start of Rolling 2nd Crack then cool immediately, next batch to say 30 seconds short of this point and the third batch through to 30 seconds past the start of Rolling 2nd Crack.

Give the roasts at least a couple of days to degas and settle and then make a brew from each roast via your preferred method and as much as possible, try to make the process of each brew as identical as is possible (dont want any additional variables thrown into the mix). Taste each of the brews youve made and try to describe each of them in references that mean something to you. Now, you should be in a better position to decide which of the roast profiles you enjoy the most. All the best mate and happy brewing,

Cheers,
      Mal.

Comment

Good advice Mal, spot-on.

Ill be surprised if the darkest of the roasts are not your favorite in this bean. It also roasts very slowly due to the density so work off your senses and not just "normal roasting times".

Comment

This bean is an earthy monster depending on the roast level. I wouldnt take it much further than rolling 2nd. That being said, its not the greatest at a lighter roast either.

Very nice SO, but Its better being a grounding component of an acidic blend.

When I get to taste this years crop, Ill be sure to post my findings.

Comment

This bean can do with 7 days rest.
            And its best roasted strongly to first crack then more slowly beyond first crack into the second.
            Sweet, gooey, buttery mouthfeel and great for an espresso blend.
            Powerhouse bean.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Freeman link=1164760998/0#3 date=1165059814
              It also roasts very slowly due to the density so work off your senses and not just "normal roasting times".
              Too right Andy,

Roasting by time in the initial stages with a new bean is just to establish a ballpark stage from which to apply further fine tuning. My preference for this bean is to actually roast just after the rolling 2nd Crack is well on its way... plenty of spiciness remains as well as great "Old Jamaica" style of chocolate flavours. As nunu has indicated, I also usually use this bean as a mixer to fill out the body and depth of a blend, probably in the region of 40% total bean mass. In this role, I think it is very hard to beat ,

Mal.

Comment

I roasted this bean in the popper until rolling 2nd crack. Colouring was slightly uneven with spots of oil on the surface.

Waited 1 day rest, pulled a double ristretto. Gee if ever there was a perfect description of "mouthfeel" this bean is it. You could chew on it. That was my first impression, followed by some tangy acidic notes, then buttery hints followed by a moderately long aftertaste. One of the few SO that I really like.

I will try this in my drum roaster next to see if any differences compared to the popper roast.

Comment

This is a nice bean!
                  I had run out of my blend and half hour ago wondered if I should try this as an SO just shy of 2 days degassing. Id ran it through to rolling second,- for my temp gauge-116 degreesC ~ there was not much of a smell from the bean mass and that normally tells me it needs plenty more time, but what could I do- I needed a coffee. :-/
                  Anyway I was surprised by a couple of things-
                  1st- incredible sweetness. I like to cut my espressos short to maintain ristretto sweetness, but today I just thought- Nah! Ill go a tad beyond the blonding point~Did I say I just needed a coffee? :
                  It was mellow throughout with a subtle sweetness that just grew as I sipped until I began to suspect Id poured sugar in the bottom!
                  2nd- Overall mouthfeel was light but buttery. By this I mean that I normally wouldnt put those two together. It was unusual and wonderful.
                  3rd- Its been half hour now and I can still feel the hint of flavour across my tongue and as I breath out. :-?
                  perhaps Ive taken this too far??
                  It is gorgeous.
                  Andy- I will definitely keep an eye on this one in the future.
                  Thanks
                  RH

Comment

Well what a bean. I was interested to read the above comments.

Roasted 12 days ago to rolling second crack and started to drink it after 5 and then a couple of cups a day since. It has got better with age. Fantastic mouthfeel and great either espresso or with milk.

I have a cup and am left wanting another, the taste lingers. Mellow is a great description.

Comment

I just roasted 2 batches this morning. Very uneven roast. I got a 16.8% weight loss (for both batches), which should equate to quite a dark roast. It certainly hit 2nd crack, but didnt produce any oil on the surface.

The smell of the freshly roasted beans was very nice... I cant wait to try them (even though its an uneven roast). Im not sure I can wait a week. Thatll take me to Xmas. Thats too long to wait for coffee.

Comment

This bean has beautiful mouthfeel as a SO espresso. Nice and syrupy with beautiful crema colour. The bean was still a bit fresh but nonetheless quite good. Another day or two of resting would have been better.

This bean is bright compared to other Indonesians I have had (Java et al). I was expecting a deeper body and more earth. It was quite a sweet espresso, medium body, low-med acidity and very clean finish. In fact there was almost no aftertaste that I had to pull another.

In milk I felt this coffee was a bit lost. Very mild and soft...not like coffee at all. I will have to try this as a double ristretto in a milk drink.

Comment

Originally posted by Wushoes link=1164760998/0#11 date=1175266768
                          This bean has nice mouthfeel as a SO espresso. The bean was still a bit fresh but nonetheless quite good. Another day or two of resting would have been better. This bean is bright compared to other Indonesians. I was expecting a deeper body and more earth. It was quite a sweet espresso, medium body, low acidity and very clean finish. In fact there was almost no aftertaste.
                          You know Wushoes, I look forward to the day that I might describe coffee as expressively as you...honestly I do.

I might not say though that "This bean is bright compared to other Indonesians" ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis link=1164760998/0#12 date=1175267099
                            You know Wushoes, I look forward to the day that I might describe coffee as expressively as you...honestly I do.

I might not say though that "This bean is bright compared to other Indonesians" ;D ;D ;D
                            Hi Dennis,

My pallete is so untrained its not funny. I am a noob in coffee :-/. I wait for the day when I can taste AND describe all the subtle complexities in coffee. Taste is subjective. Different roast profiles accentuate different characteristics as with all coffee.

David.

Comment

Dennis, I am a noob when it comes to tasting and basically just use the same method that I use for wine tasting - sniff and taste, rolling it around the tongue.

Comment

Working...
                              X