Ethiopian Yirgacheffe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethiopian Yirgacheffe

I roasted some on Saturday and I think I went a bit too far with the roast. One thing I noticed is that there didnt seem to be a distinct 2nd crack that I could hear. I will admit I was a bit distracted at the time.

Its 48 hours since roasting, does it need longer or a lighter roast.

Can anyone help.

Re: Ethiopian Yirgacheffe

Hi Cindy,

Usually roast my Yirg to about 30 seconds into rolling 2nd Crack to allow the body/mouthfeel to fully develop. Thats just me though but I think its a difficult bean to over-roast.... within reason of course . Normally allow between 3-4 days of rest before cupping but I know plenty of people attack them long before this amount of time has passed ... depends how patient you are :P

Mal.

Comment

I did some more today and just watched it like a hawk until the colour of the beans looked about right.

I heard a few very loud cracks and then it just snapploed away for a minute or so before I pulled it as the beans turned a dark tan colour.

It will be interesting to see how it tastes. Smelled very good though even an hour after roasting.

Comment

Tried it today and the lighter roast definitely tasted much better. I think I may blend to two roasts together and see what the result is.

Comment

Hmmm,

Another intriguing SO blend.... Awaiting your impressions with great interest Cindy,

Mal.

Comment

Yirg should be roasted lighter or before second crack to develop the flavours. It isnt a coffee youre going to look for mouthfeel with because you lose what it is.

Just roast it lighter and enjoy it for its tea like qualities.

You can use it at a pinch in an espresso blend for complexity just a touch.

But a sensational coffee in a plunger where ist character is allowed to blossom.

Comment

The blefnd was very good and I found that it tasted best about day 6. We had the last of it today andbeing just short of two weeks it was very nice indeed.

Comment

Im waiting to try mine in a few days.

I roasted first batch about 20 sec into 2nd crack and the second batch to about 30 seconds.

I blended them and theyre at about 60 hours now.
                I think I can wait another 36 hours before I give them a go.

Comment

I did another roast of this Saturday morning when it was quite cool. I really pushed it as I think I have been underroasting it aftertrying some at SC.

This has a really long first crack and quite a bit of time before Second crack starts which is very very muted - I could barely hear it. I roasted it to about 10-20 seconds into second crack and then pulled.

Cupped some this evening and it tastes much better than previous roasts.

One thing I have noticed is that the beans get dark quite fast and you need to be brave as I think I was panicing a bit because of this and ending the roast too soon.

A very tricky bean this one.

Comment

Originally posted by lucinda link=1170030497/0#8 date=1174833182
                    A very tricky bean this one.
                    But worth the courage, and effort

Mal.

Comment

I just had some of this coffee this afternoon.

As an espresso, the vibrant yet sweet citrus notes of lemon (and other fruits I am not able to discern) hit you almost immediately. This sweet acidity balanced by a smooth body.

In a cappuccino, the Yirg is very mellow....very creamy tasting with a honey like body. It almost didnt taste like coffee, just like the Sulawesi Toraja. I could definitely drink this coffee all day.

I was not able to smell the "floral" aroma myself...perhaps it was just over-roasted.

Tomorrow I plan to put it through the French Press

Comment

I did mine just on second crack, tipped them onto a flat metal tray in the breeze and cooled them as quickly as possible. To me they are just superb after three days, I guess there are so many different preferences people are looking for, but I know what I like... lots of crema, body and taste.

Comment

*bump* for those who just got some this bean bay.

Anyone give me a few hints on roasting this in the coretto? New learning curve and all that.... :

Comment

Its a pretty forgiving bean to roast I believe Cindy,

So long as you allow it to go well past 1st-Crack and then stop it any time that looks right to you, including all the way into Rolling 2nd-Crack if you like more body and mouth-feel. Even though the spice and fruit notes are subdued when taken into Rolling 2nd-Crack, the dark chocolate and overall really nice balance makes for a very nice espresso,

Cheers mate,
                            Mal.

Comment

Cindy,
                              i stopped my last two roasts of the Yirg as soon as i saw the first blue smoke... which was at about 227C on the gizmo, just in first snaps of SC.
                              yum!

L

Comment

Working...
                              X