Nicaragua Maragogype SHG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nicaragua Maragogype SHG

Has anybody roasted this one yet? I roasted some yesterday but I havent had a chance to taste it yet.
    The beans are big and first crack was quite loud.
    Using the breadmaker & heatgun, 1st crack started at 6:20 and didnt stop until 8:20. 2nd crack started at 10 minutes. The beans didnt look very dark at 2nd crack so I let it go for another 90 seconds or so. I was quite suprised at how pale the beans are.

Re: Nicaragua Maragogype SHG

While Ive not roasted this particular bean I have roasted other Maragogypes. For roasting times/notes on the last ones I did take a look here: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1165610047

Java "Invasion of the giant coffee bean!" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

I read your link Javaphile. Im glad I took them into 2nd crack :-), but Im amazed at how quickly they roasted. Using the same setup and same heat gun distance etc, they reached first crack a about 3-5 minutes quicker than the smaller beans.

I just pulled a shot and you do need to grind finer than normal, the pour took about 10 seconds total. It still tasted OK, mainly a caramel taste. Im not sure if it is the faster roast or the fact that these are actually different beans but I thought it was quite acidic. Not unpleasant but definitely noticeable.

Comment

I took these the Maragogype around 20-30 secs into a rolling 2nd crack, at which time a lot more smoke started being produced then at the start of the 2nd crack.

I have been drinking this SO for the last 5 days - a little caramel and chocolate, definitely not acid at all!! Really nice SO espresso....tasty...hmm...now must go and roast more, as just finished my bag!!

Comment

Hmm wondering why Im getting an acidic taste. Maybe my roast was quicker than yours. Ill have to have a couple more shots to confirm :-)

Comment

Working...
          X