PNG Marogogipe AAA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PNG Marogogipe AAA

Bought some of this in the March Beanbay as I wanted to check out the physical appearance of the beans. Yes I was very impressed, me and my mate couldnt beleive the size of some of these buggers.

Anyway, I roasted 500g right on the start of the first cracks of 2nd crack (about 17 mins in the BM/HG), pulled them straight away and cooled them within 60 secs in my vac cooler. They looked real good, color was light to dark brown (little less than Full city+ roast as per sweet marias guide). Had a lot of fun roasting this one watching it swell to an enormous size.

Pulled an espresso shot 2 days later, B.I.T.T.E.R. as hell ! However, once you get over the bitterness, the flavour is quite pleasant, rather smooth with a long aftertaste.

I ground some up and used it in the plunger and much better. Much more smooth and it tamed the bitterness ;D.

This is looking like a plunger variety for me at the moment. Ive heard elsewhere that Marogogipe is generally not suited to espresso...Im still learning about bean varieties and whats good for what brewing method but so far, it might be true for this one.

Will try a lighter roast profile on the next batch.

How are other CSers going with roasting this? What are your roasts like?

Javabeenroasting! ;D

Re: PNG Marogogipe AAA

Gday javabeen,

Cant speak from personal experience, but from research Ive done when considering whether to get some of this variety, it was mentioned by quite a few roasters that for using in an espresso blend (no-one suggested it as a SO :-?), it should be taken 20-30 seconds into rolling 2nd Crack which cuts the bitterness aspect considerably and morphs it into a pleasant, mild and full bodied bean with no intrinsic qualities as such, just a clean coffee flavour, moderately sweet and nice mouthfeel. Hope that helps a bit ,

Mal.

Comment

Hey thanks Mal,

Interesting you should mention taking it 20-30secs into rolling SC - I would have thought this would make it more bitter. Hence why I suggested a lighter roast.

Might try roasting a small batch as you suggested.

I havent tried blending yet, still getting a feel for SO bean varieties. What do you recommend this be blended with? So far I have accummulated some Costa Rica, PNG Peaberry, Brazil Ipanema Dulce (RFA), Kenya AB (Blue Mountain), India Harar, India Mysor, India Tiger Mountain and Zambia AA Lupili Estate.

Any of these good to blend it with?

Javabeen!

Comment

Gday again Jb,

Just looking at your list of beans on hand.... Id say a simple 60/40 blend with either the PNG Peaberry or the Kenya AB (with the minor proportion being the maragogype) would do pretty well. Dont be afraid to experiment yourself though, just use small batch sizes and blend immediately before grinding and brewing. When you find combos you enjoy, you can work on further refining them if you want. Some beans are more than able to stand on their own two feet as SO brews so its not necessary to try and blend everything, its just that some beans like a lot of Brazils, Colombians and the Maragogypes for example can benefit by blending with more dominant bean varieties to "fill out" the flavour profile somewhat, increase the crema, etc etc.

Experimentation is a good thing

Cheers,
        Mal.

Comment

These huge beans require a much longer period between 1st and 2nd crack to insure theyre properly roasted all the way though. See my notes on a similiar bean here: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1165610047

Java "Dem be BIG beans!" phile
          Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Hey thanks guys,

Will try out all these tips with the next batch, keen to get some good results from these beans coz they look so nice to consume :-)

If they already taste that bitter roasted to start of SC, wont they turn more bitter roasting them into SC? I dont get how this works, I always thought that getting closer to charcoal by roasting past SC means more bitterness...

Javabeen

Comment

I saw these beans yesterday at Epic - ENORMOUS! Like bloody peanuts.

Comment

Originally posted by javabeen link=1173356015/0#5 date=1173394224
                If they already taste that bitter roasted to start of SC, wont they turn more bitter roasting them into SC? I dont get how this works, I always thought that getting closer to charcoal by roasting past SC means more bitterness...
                Hi again Jb,

I think you should head over to Javaphiles thread from the link above and read through his personal experience with roasting and cupping this bean (equivalent anyway). Always better to talk to someone who has actually roasted and cupped the bean rather than someone like me who has only read about what someone else has done ,

Cheers,
                Mal.

Comment

I roasted mine about 30 to 40 seconds into second crack and had none of the bitterness mentioned. It was a very pleasant been and found it roasted evenly, even in my Imex.

Comment

Thanks Bolodr, good to hear feedback from someone who roasted this variety. Ill definitely give the roast another go further into SC next time. I couldnt wait to try the Zambia Lupil Estate so I just roasted up a batch tonight. The Maragogipe will have to wait till later in the week and Ill post my results then. How cool is this :-)

Cheers
                    Javabeenroastingtonight.

Comment

Thanks Javaphile for the link to your thread there. Its a good read and I can vouch for the unsavoury/sour flavour. I noticed this appeared at day 4. Coupled with the bitterness it was very off putting.

The sour flavour I can put down to the beans needing more roasting, and possibly a little bit slower to push them out to the 20 min mark. Hopefully this will take the bitter edge off them too.

Javabeen.

Comment

This bean definitely would work well for adding some body and mouthfeel to a blend. I tried a little today, and it was unremarkable, although the body and mouthfeel were huge, just like the beans. The finish is very long, with a slight fruity hint to it.

It may take significant rest to see this SOs full potential. The jury is still out at the moment.

Comment

Tried again today. Still very rich in body and mouthfeel. Deep eathry tones, hints of anise and over-ripe plums in the cup. Acidity is low and the finish is long and smooth.

Could do with some more rest methinks, but you may sacrifice a bit of body/mouthfeel.

Comment

This one is definitely growing on me. 5 days in and its blossoming nicely.

Sweetness is definitely coming out. Body and mouthfeel are still spot on.

These peanuts sure are nice

Comment

OK, I did another roast of this yesterday morning, took 20 secs into 2nd crack. I was eager to try it so 24 hours after resting, I pulled a double espresso.

Im happy to report that the bitterness is well and truly under control. Definite sweetness has replaced the bitterness, quite a transformation. I pulled another double shot and was able to repeat the results.

Theres good body there and also mild balanced acidity making it a smooth bean. Cant wait to try it out again over the coming days.

Javabeen

Comment

Working...
                              X