Guatemala Huehuetenango

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guatemala Huehuetenango

Id like to post a review here but first Id like a bit of advice from those more experienced on the best way to roast this one?
    Thanks.
    RH

Re: Guatemala Huehuetenango

Javaphiles the man RH,

Mal.

Comment

Heres my post on the Finca Vista Hermosa Huehuetenango: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1109816604

Java "Still my favorite bean!" phile
      Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Roasted this bean to the colour under the second "E" of coffeesnobs card.. .or #6 from the left. 8-)
        So it was a relatively light roast.
        I roasted it quickly to first crack -round 198o by my reckoning then slowed the heat so that it crept to 212o in 4 and a half minutes. All signs of first crack had gone and knowing some of my beans have started into second crack at 215o, I pulled them there.

This morning saw the end of the full 48 hours degassing.
        My initial reaction is mixed.
        The aroma from the container is not all that coffee-like more muted and flat??
        I poured boiling water into a cup and after waiting 45 seconds ground-at 18 on rocky directly into it.
        I stuck my nose through the grounds and sniffed and got all this cinnamon and clove-like freshness that sort of sizzled (nicely) in my nose.
        The first sip was spicy across my tongue. Then I spat! >what a shocking way to sample coffee)

SO I fired up Silvia.
        Loaded my la mazocca oversized basket- 21grams :
        30mls in 30 seconds...mmmm
        Wow, now this is coffee!
        It is spicy, but not just that inferior sort of spicy you get if you barely get through first crack- you know the zap of sour that makes your eyes water... this is altogether brilliant.
        Creme was not huge- which was surprising to me considering it was barely out of degas stage.
        Mouth feel was not overly "thick" which is something I do like in an espresso, but I felt the focus was a delicious orangey spiciness.

RH

Comment

Guatemala HueHuetenango

I roasted up some HueHue (Cosech crop) the other day, and took it just into second crack. This coffee was powerful. Many complex flavours I could not begin to name. I found it average in a plunger, great in a cap or latte, but a bit too funky and tangy in a short black.

Though the thing that intrigues me is, the crema in the shot is plentiful, and slightly darker than normal (more chocolate than hazelnut), and no, I am not overextracting...but the crema only lasts for 30 seconds, and dissipates... Anyone know why this could be so?

Ive tried a second batch, this time into rolling second crack, and I will see what that is like after resting.

I am looking at blending with a Brazil, or maybe a Malawi base, to take the edge off a bit....Anyone have any roasting or blending tips for Guatemalan HH?

Cheers,

Chris

Comment

Re: Guatemala HueHuetenango

Hmmm,

I reckon the Malawi would be a great base bean with the Huehue Chris, just from what Ive read around the traps as I havent got any Huehue myself just yet,

Mal.

Comment

Thanks Mal,

Its my first experience with Guatemalan, and it is proving to be a very interesting coffee. I havent quite got the roast correct, but the experimentation is enjoyable. I will continue roasting as an SO before I go further into blending this great coffee..

Cheers,

Chris

P.S. Mal, have you seen this disappearing crema thing before?

Comment

You might try a lighter roast. With the Huehue I had it tasted best when pulled prior to 2nd crack.

Java "Hhhhmmmm...Nummy stuff!" phile

Comment

Thanks Java, Ill give that a try....any tips on the dissipating crema thing?

Comment

Originally posted by stratford link=1180392295/0#8 date=1180899877
                    Thanks Java, Ill give that a try....any tips on the dissipating crema thing?
                    Some beans just dont produce much crema and as I recall this is one such bean.

How long have the beans rested? You may see better crema as the rest progresses.

Java "Hhhmmm...Go, go Huehue!" phile

Comment

Ive just tasted one of the best espressos ever!
                      After discussion with Bullitt over a cup of the last batch ( see previous post) We agreed that a little longer in the Corretto might develop those lemony flavours into something fuller.
                      So Same again but this time I held it a full 5 minutes from first crack at 98oC to 115oC.
                      The main difference in appearance is the darker look... though still before second.
                      BUT the taste is absolutely amazing!
                      Thick and full and sweet and mellow ( low acidity) watermelon! I taste watermelon.
                      Lingering sensation under the sides of the tongue.
                      This is marvellous. :
                      RH

Comment

Hi

I just finished a latte made with the Huehue roasted in my gene cafe exactly one week ago. All I can say is wow - I love this bean! Cant give you any details on roast time (Im not a detail person), but I think I roasted until just the first snaps of second crack.

Java "your quotes crack me up" phile - keep them coming!

Cheers, Mary

Comment

Java did you ever go to the plantation?

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by Sarg link=1180392295/0#12 date=1181222293
                            Java did you ever go to the plantation?

Andrew
                            Unfortunately no, Ive not yet been able to make it down there. Hopefully some day Ill be able to.

Java "Its a long, long huehue to go!" phile

Comment

It would be a good idea, I recon, one day to organise with coffee plantations for group travel to go and tour and stay at there places, maybe do a couple of days work and roam the local region.

There is a Thai restaurant on the sunny coast that take there customers and chefs on food tours of thailand. The numbers are limited for each tour but it would be a good concept if someone had connections with someone on a plantation.

Photographers do it also taking small groups overseas to Africa and India etc.

Could call it "Snobs Abroad"

Andrew

Comment

Working...
                              X