Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beans from Rio Coffee, Adelaide

Hi,

Im wondering if anyone has any recommendations of beans from Rio Coffee in Stepney, Adelaide. (They roast on site and produce beans for a lot of cafes in Adelaide.)

I tend to stick to the Crema blend, which seems good for milk-based drinks (the label describes it as producing an aromatic and sweet coffee with a smooth, mellow finish which I think is fairly accurate). I have also tried their Espresso blend, but found it a little dark for my taste. They seem to have a large variety of beans ... so does anyone else have a favourite or something they can recommend?  

Re: Beans from Rio Coffee, Adelaide

I personally do not like Rio coffee. I find the roast too dark from what I have bought in the shops (though not on site).

I have PMd you with other good roasters in Adelaide too.

MarcBarun( the coffee Barun) is one of our site sponsors so you can give him a go too.

Comment

I also found Rio roasts a bit dark for my taste - I only got to try two - once was at Cibo and possibly did not represent them well.

Comment

I quite like their Sidamo, Sumatran and East Timor Maubese - but that is only my taste.

Comment

Another possiblilty is BeanBay brown.....<<<<<<<<<< <<<<just over there ;-)

Not only can you buy really fresh, top quality specialty beans (roasted to order), you get fair prices and the warm fuzzies of knowing that you contributed to great works, Faircrack style 8-)

Comment

And i for one can attest to Brown Bay,

no roaster= brown bay and I have had soo much quality coffee over the past 2 months it

is not funny, be warned though it is addictive to have many varieties on hand to try,

I think i could light up my town at the moment with caffeine fueled power

( picture the mouse in the barrel running nowhere in particular).

Craig.

Comment

They seem to have a large variety of beans ... so does anyone else have a favourite or something they can recommend?
              If you live in Adelaide and get a chance to pop down to Rio, it would be worth your while picking up some of the blend that Tony roasts for Mecca in Sydney to see why one of Sydneys top espresso bars goes to the lengths of getting it roasted in Adelaide and shipped. I think that it is called the "Royal" blend, or something.

Tony sent me some of an experimental, all El Salvador, blend about a month ago. It was quite sweet, slightly nutty and had a crisp finish, but was low in body. Im not sure if that ever made it to production or if it was just Tony mucking around, but if you run into him at the store it would be worthwhile asking. Tony is the dark haired man with the perpetual smile.

I personally do not like Rio coffee. I find the roast too dark from what I have bought in the shops (though not on site).
              Perhaps the stock in the shops was not rotated correctly. I have only tried a handful of blends from Rio, but I would struggle to describe any of it as "dark."

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

I actually like rio. The last 5 times i have received samples from 3 days old to 2 weeks old, it was not dark at all. No oil, roasted perfectly. Purchased straight from the roaster. Guys you have to remember these facts.

1. Buying from another shop.
                Was the shop rotating stock.
                Cafes are usually hot and humid. So storage can stuff up coffee
                How old was the coffee
                People walking in and out of the shop makes the coffee up and down

Coffee made at cafes
                Of course making from home is easier. Making in on a commercial level might be harder and at Cibo they do huge numbers.
                Try pulling a god shot just straight after lunch when 200 hundred people have just left your cafe. With heat and humidity in the air and your grinder hot and machine just being pumped.

Tony at Rio is a gentleman and has sent samples which i thought were great. All samples were roasted correctly and were no oils and even roast. Ive tried there coffee over the summer time when it was hot and in winter. Balanced blends, with great sweetest.
                I find you guys really hard when you havent been to the site and made judgements based on other cafes or stores holding there products.

Comment

Mecca in Sydney use a custom Rio blend. Some of the best coffee Ive had all year. Not sure if they sell the Mecca blend, but Ive found the espresso blend ok in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by luca link=1183209232/0#6 date=1183448979

Perhaps the stock in the shops was not rotated correctly.  I have only tried a handful of blends from Rio, but I would struggle to describe any of it as "dark."  

Cheers,

Luca

Luca - I have bought the beans at a couple different places in Adelaide, all have a high turnover.

In all honesty - I do believe that Tony does a fantastic job for those he has a contract with such as Mecca.

He also probably has fantastic beans at the roastery.

Unfortunately on the few occasions I have bought Rio beans I have found them too dark for my liking and I admit that I prefer a medium roast, which is why I roast my own beans as I get exactly what I like.

Comment

Working...
                    X