Espresso Wow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Espresso Wow

Seeing as there are no comments on this and I seem to be on a roll in hitting the unpopular topics ( :-[), I thought I might give it a go ...

Andy dropped off a bag of this for me to try out last beanbay. I asked him about it and his explanation was basically "its what I like." For reference, here are Andys tasting notes:

This blend has been years in the making, 1000’s of roasts and samples and this is easily the best all round espresso blend for my taste.

Great as a double espresso with a creamy viscous body, a complete palate that oozes flavour throughout your mouth and an aftertaste that lingers nicely for a good length of time. This flavour profile works just as well in milk based drinks and the strong crema should make a great canvas for latte art.
    Thats a pretty accurate description.

After the great snobbery heist, I think that Andy did a great job in getting a lot of coffee out to me. We werent sure how old it was, but Im not about to look a gift-horse in the mouth! The pours on the beanbay pickup day were relatively bubbly, but, surprisingly, the resultant espresso had quite a heavy mouthfeel and was low in acidity. The flavour was rich and chocolatey, with a rather large salvo of aromatics. I cant remember them exactly, but I think that I said canteloupe (Andy raised his eyebrows) and blueberry (yes, I concede blueberry ;P). Ill leave it to Andy to fill everyone in about whats in it.

Straight out of the bag, the blend wasnt as impressive in milk, but there was a dramatic improvement after it sat in my hopper at home for a day or two. I left the bag open and noticed a bit of a decline after a week or so. So if you are planning to have Espresso Wow sit around for any length of time, I would recommend splitting it into a few lots and putting them in airtight containers.

The thing that I like about this blend is that it is very Andy. There are a number of trends taking place in coffee blends in general. First up, I think that we can thank the various Cup of Excellence programs and Klaus WBC blend for setting in motion a trend to have espresso that is light in body, sweet, acidic and aromatic. This runs counter to the trend that I had noticed in Australia of heavier bodied blends that are low in acidity, often pulled quite short to accentuate this even further. Next, I get the impression that many commercial roasters are going lighter in a bid to preserve aroma and increase shelf life. One theory that I have heard (from Mr Schulman, I think) is that roasting lighter starts you off with more aromatics, so you end up with more after you let the coffee sit around to age.

As I said, Andys blend is the opposite of these trends. By going for heavier body and lower acidity, there is no need for you to wait for a lighter roast to age for a longer period of time to develop these qualities. I suspect that this means that Andy relies on freshness to get that fistful of aromatics into the cup.

In summary, Andys espresso strikes me as a very good expression of his particular style, which makes it well and truly worthwhile trying out. It is a particularly good blend for home roasters to try out because it seems to perform very well after a short restign period, which I imagine would be quite useful. Personally, I like this style of espresso, but I think that I basically appreciate any style of espresso that is done well. The one thing that I did not try with Espresso Wow was grinding very fine and dosing very low. I will try this next time that I get some.

Cheers,

Luca

Re: Espresso Wow

Hi Luca,

Nice review, now I really want to get some.

At the BB, Andy had said that "WOW" was made up from something like 9 different beans. ....All roasted seperately.
    [Or was it 17....No it couldnt be!] so its clearly a rather intensive labour of love.

Unfortunately a couple of us snobbers missed out on the "Wow" tasting caus at the time some of David Makins espresso had blessed the hopper.
    Ahhhh!, But what one looses on the slide, one picks up on the merry-go round, Davids blend was awesome "HUGE" and weeks later, its taste and mouth feel are still on my mind.

So thanks for that, plus the opportunity to try it at a couple of temperatures was really eye opening.

cheers Reuben

Comment

Its a true story. I know. I was there.

Luca, thanks for the shots - just as memorable Reuben says.

Reuben, if you are keen to give the WOW a go Id be happy to go halves in a kilo of brown next beanbay.

cheers
      Andrew

Comment

I received my fist bag of Espresso Wow today.

Thanks Andy, great delivery time!

Fired up the VBM.
        First pull was a tad fast  :-?, adjusted the grinder a poofteenth (Mazzer Mini), second pull was spot on!
        The tast was the best espresso I have ever had! ;D Might be my tast buds, but it was great. I was thinking about home roasting, Ive convinced myself not to bother and just stick with the espresso Wow!

I will recomend it to anyone!
        Great job Andy!

Warren.

Comment

Hi Yall

Ive been drinking WOW for the last few days [thanks Ajay] , its amazing.

Whilst my pallete is not [yet] up to speed I can tell you that its a beautiful fat fruity sweet espresso.

I cant really discern blueberry or canteloupe, but I get a full fruity flavour Id describe more like sultanas or raisins: sweet & concentrated and not acidic.
          The taste reminds me of my grandmothers christmas pudding [rich, moist & full of dried fruit & brandy flavours].
          The lingering after taste is very chocolatey and reminiscent of that rum and raisin dark chocolate.

Its also great in milk, but I feel the special fruitiness gets a bit lost and it lacks a little of the "cut" in milk I prefer, henceforth, and since I am almost out, Im now dedicating my WOW only for espresso.

Well done Andy, certainly one of the best blends I had since this journey began, its going to be hard to go back to a SO espresso after this.

Comment

Hi everyone. I had to buy some of this stuff after everything I had read about it. First of all I must commend Andy on his quick service. Ordered Friday night. Roasted Sunday. Shipped Monday. Arrived Tuesday!!!! I have a Sunbeam 6910 and 0480. Initially my shots were a little volatile and bubbly - I assumed that was due to the freshness of the roast. Today - 5 days post roast - i think I have reached a sweet spot for this coffee. It is absolutely awesome. I have had my setup since December and I thought I was makng pretty good coffee - using Campos superior blend. Andys WOW takes this to another level. I cant believe how good it is. Thank you very much !

Comment

I tried Ca@#os Superior a few weeks back and...disappointing.

Andys WOW is in a completely different world to it. My mouth is watering just thinking about it :P .

Comment

Originally posted by GregJW link=1191811557/0#6 date=1201322276
                I tried Ca@#os Superior a few weeks back and...disappointing.

Andys WOW is in a completely different world to it. My mouth is watering just thinking about it :P .
                In fact its probably a little sacrilegious to mention the two in the same sentence!

Comment

Worst thing about home roasting is not getting any WOW.

Comment

Andy I bought some espresso wow last beanbay ,for my boss and his wife and as I said I will let everyone know what they thought of it.Well the machine they have is a seaco incanto deluxe so its a super auto, but they love it there response was WOW.
                    Might have to get some for myself next time.

Comment

Ive been through quite a bit of Wow and it truly lives up to its name. It has a thick creamy body, great complexity and really works well in milk. Everyone whos tried it has been impressed as well. An espresso drinking mate rates it as the best espresso blend hes tasted, and by the time he got some it wasnt even fresh...

This is a must-taste espresso blend, even if only to try it and make up your own mind.

Im still trying to figure out just how to get some more of this character into my own roasts.

Cheers,

Mark.

Comment

top shelf.

Ordered mine Thursday, was on my desk Friday lunch time. Tried it for the first time yesterday morning. Wow.

Comment

Im still salivating at my one and only foray into the world of WoW !! In the meantime I have settled for something a little closer to home available in smaller quantities. However the minute my consumption goes up or Andy starts selling 500g bags Ill be back baby !!!

Comment

Great one Andy. It certainly lives up to its name.
                            Sampled it on Chrissy eve then took it along with Silvia to the family Christmas celebration.
                            It was a big hit and compliments to you Andy from all who partook and from friends who visited today.
                            It works equally well as an espresso, long black, or as a milk drink.
                            Its a little ripper.
                            Thanks Andy and all the best for 2009.

Cheers,
                            Alan

Comment

Glad you liked it Alan. As it happens, we had the same in our grinder at home on Christmas day too.

I also like the fact that you took the Silvia out with you to lunch to ensure you got a good coffee at the relos house.

...how very CoffeeSnobby of you!

Comment

Working...
                              X