Mountain Top bin 549 fancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mountain Top bin 549 fancy

I just roasted 300gm of these yesterday to about CS10 at the first snaps of 2nd crack. The beans are now emitting a rich fruity aroma which is quite enticing. There seems to be a lot of complexity there. More soon...

Re: Mountain Top bin 549 fancy

Wow, these beans are good. They cut through milk with ease and produced a nice complex drink on the caramel side of things, with some fruit flavours. The espresso is also mid bodied with low acidity. Ill need a few more goes at this before I can lock in any real flavours, but again very promising. I already rate it better than the MT Bundja from last year. This one is richer with more fruit and a better after taste.

Definitely worth the price!

Comment

Hey Sparky - definitely agree with your comments regarding the fruity aroma; even I could smell distinct "fruits of the forest" when I tried this tonight. I think I may have under-roasted a bit though, as there was a bit of an acidic aftertaste in my espresso, but nice with milk.

Comment

Had this again today and am reminded of......monsoon malabar!

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis link=1192321027/0#3 date=1192617454
          :-/ Im not a fan of monsoon Malabar but like this bean. I dont see the comparison at all.

Comment

I just had this as a 50:50 blend with the El Salvadore San Emilio Farm and I think the El Sal compromised the shot a bit. The SO is better than the blend... So I think Ill treat myself to the SO straight from here in.

Comment

Originally posted by muppet_man67 link=1192321027/0#4 date=1192627656
              Originally posted by Dennis link=1192321027/0#3 date=1192617454
              :-/ Im not a fan of monsoon Malabar but like this bean. I dont see the comparison at all.
              Hmmm...maybe its got something to do with me under-roasting them?

Comment

Hmmm... very sweet and fruity in milk. As an espresso, the jury is still out. Nothing offensive though, just need the stars to align so I can get a good shot.

Oh for a machine with easy (read digital) temperature adjustment...

Comment

I really find this coffee unusual - in a good way. Its 10 days since I roasted this, and this afternoons cup (with milk) tastes different once again from the cup I had this morning. Still maintaining that fruits of forest flavour and what I previously described as monsoon malabar has now subsided considerably, with a softer feel and taste on the palate.

Ive also noticed that this roast produces just 50% of the crema of other beans I have roasted.

Sparky, et al. Id appreciate hearing more comments. Am I off track with this?

Comment

I have a few more shots worth left. This morning I opened the packet and got the aroma of dried apricots and sultanas and some other earthy notes which Im at a loss to describe. The shot was pretty good with a faint prickly feeling on the tongue, but otherwise pretty smooth and mid bodied with similar fruit, but more muted than the aroma. In milk it is still a star with a chocolatey note on top of the dried fruit. I get flavours that are unusual like dried dates and sultanas.

My overall impression is this is a stellar bean. Unusual yes, but very interesting.

Compared to my current favorite, the Harrar longberry naturals, this is more approachable as an espresso, but with similar fruity complexity. Harrar still sit on top in milk, although this is different but no less impressive.

Compared to the Bundja that I got last year, this is head and shoulders more drinkable as a SO. The Bundja tended to get very nutty flavours, which Im not looking for in a SO. I much prefer the rich dried fruit and chocolate.

I also think that taking this roast to 2nd crack, but not beyond was also serendipitous, as I cant imagine a better roast. In fact the description on the MT web site pretty much matches my impressions of this one.

Cheers,

Mark.

Comment

My overall impression is this is a stellar bean. Unusual yes, but very interesting.
                      I agree Sparky!

In a country which lacks the altitude to produce hard beans, high mechanical processing (and labour costs) and often falling for the trap of washing beans to death it is really refreshing to find something as outstandingly different as the Bin 549.

It reeks of coffee fruit and has really drawn a lot of those natural sugars into the bean to produce a fascinating sweet coffee. Kudos to MTC for having the guts to process outside the square.

Comment

I roasted my second batch yesterday. They roast very dark and even. The roast only went to the start of 2nd crack but it was about as dark as I ever go. The sweet fruity aroma was evident only about 1 hr post roast and the beans seem to out gas quite a bit. The aroma is the same as the last batch and hopefully the taste will be too... They are probably one of the easiest beans to roast.

Anyone else experiencing these lovely beans?

Comment

Hi Sparky

Im certain now from your comments that I had under-roasted these beans. The batch is now just over 2 weeks old and this mornings coffee was the best Ive had with these. The flavour and feel have now mellowed and linger well afterward, so am looking forward to roasting a little longer next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky link=1192321027/0#11 date=1193613000
                            Anyone else experiencing these lovely beans?
                            Yes, I am at the 7 day mark with a batch roasted 30 odd seconds into the second crack.

I can honestly say beyond any doubt at all that these beans are very coffee like.

Belinda

Comment

I mixed some of these 1:1:1 with some Mexican Jaltanango and some under roasted Harrar and had one of those chocolate epiphanies that one sometimes gets when all the stars align. The 549 was a big contributer....

The good thing is... Ive got about 2 kg more of it...

Comment

Working...
                              X