PNG mystery green

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PNG mystery green

Wasnt sure whether to post this one here, or the roasting section, as the question touches on both origin & recommended roasting tips ...

I just received a kg of greens from my commercial roastery who were only willing to divulge that they are "PNG A-grade Arabica SO" (trying to extract anything more specific was futile, trade secret yaknow ). I asked their master roaster for a bit of advice - he said to pull them from the fire at "medium roast". So Im guessing he means before 2C???

Anyway being an absolute newbie to the roasting game (thisll be my first, while I await arrival of Peruvians & Dominicans from Greenbay), Ive been scouring through different posts trying to get an idea of different PNG SOs, their profiles, & what roasting methods work best on them.

The more I read, the more I realise how much variety there is - Siherone, Sigri, Kimel, Okapa, Marogogipe, Peaberry, & Im sure Ive missed a few thousand more!

The beans I have measure about 10mm in length, fairly consistently - would this indicate that theyre a normal sized bean (not as huge as a Marogogipe, or tiny as a Peaberry, therefore can I rule these 2 out?)

Now to the roasting ... I realise everyone will have their personal preference with any green either snatching them from the fire pre-2C if they prefere the fruity/spicy aromas, or past 2C if they prefer a more chocolatey profile. However can any savvy, experienced roasters (& cuppers) give some hints on whether all PNG beans display certain similar characteristics when roasted a certain length of time????

Ta,
    Tony

Re: PNG mystery green

Time to experiment, Grinder!!
    Why dont you split the KG in 4 or 5 lots and roast each one slightly different...
    most PNGs like to be out well before rolling SC, but you can play around a bit, just for fun!

then taste each one as an SO, and make an SO-blend from the rest! (the ones you like, anyway ;D)

then, go and dazzle your suppliers with the cupping results!

have fun, mate!

L

Comment

I pull PNG beans 10 seconds into second crack.

Basically as soon as hear that first crackle of SC I count to ten and stop the roast. On my thermocouple this was at about 230C. This was using a popper too so I cannot help you with BM roasts for this.

Lizzy is right though, have a play and see what happens. If you go a bit far into the roast, blend it with the lighter roast (this is a SO blend) and enjoy the different depths of flavours you will get.

Most of all have fun with it.

Comment

Warmly welcomed advice guys - thanks

Anticipating plenty of fun ahead, & hopefully some drinkable results!

Comment

Lizzi I like your suggestion of separate batches roasted differently, then trialling/blending.

I recall reading a very detailed & informative thread along the same lines posted by Mal that Ill dig up & absorb again.

Comment

Grinder, what sort of roasting options do you have? popper? BM?

L

Comment

Lizzi, Ill be roasting Correto style, once I pull my finger out & get the last bits & pieces I need :

Ive got an old Ronson BM that has a 24 minute knead cycle, but I suspect it has a plastic pulley under the paddle - this could be a prob with high heat :-/

So, off to crash convuluters (you know the mob I mean) over the next few days to source something better ...

Cheers,
              Tony

Comment

well, if you are doing Corretto, you can split the kg in 150gm lots ... pull the first one at the very first snaps of SC, and take 10 sec off for the next lot, then add 10 sec for each following batch.
                if they are, as you say, rather large beans, they should "crack" if not audibly, then visibly: you all of a sudden have a lot more volume in your Corretto bin!!
                cooling down would be important for such large beans, as they will retain a lot of heat inside.

mm, would love to be a fly on the proverbial: see each batch turn out just a tad different....

keep us posted!

L

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzi link=1193115654/0#7 date=1193129936
                  well, if you are doing Corretto, you can split the kg in 150gm lots   ... pull the first one at the very first snaps of SC, and take 10 sec off for the next lot, then add 10 sec for each following batch.
                  if they are, as you say, rather large beans, they should "crack" if not audibly, then visibly: you all of a sudden have a lot more volume in your Corretto bin!!
                  cooling down would be important for such large beans, as they will retain a lot of heat inside.

mm, would love to be a fly on the proverbial: see each batch turn out just a tad different....

keep us posted!

L
                  Yeah Lizzi, they dont seem like overly huge beans - as greens when I match them to the size of my commercial roast, they seem smaller in fact ...

Dont know whether posting a pic of my mystery stash will illuminate anything - suffice to say, most are 10mm in length (well, I thought if wild Okapa, hand-picked very high altitude, I may as well measure each-&-every bean individually for quality control purposes ;D)

How big is the dimension of a bloody Peaberry by the way, so I can ascertain whether thats what I may have??? :-? Surely, from what Ive gleaned from other posts, if its this it roasts a bit differently to standard size beans?

Maybe just bite the proverbial, & (as ya suggested) roast batches at different pulling times (if as a newbie roaster, FC I can probably handle - sussing when SC is about to happen surely will take a few experiments !)

Ahh, its all fun

Comment

peaberrys are easy to spot, they look like miniature footballs, in that they dont have a flat side. My PNG peaberrys are about 5-6mm footballs.

I know tha PNG beans are pretty common with commercial roasters around here. Merlo seem to base a few of their blends on PNG beans. There is a roasterie in Ashgrove that specializes in PNG beans that would suggest pulling the roast way earlier than 2nd crack. I say bollocks, as their stuff was so acidic that it became garden fertilizer.

Comment

I roast my Kimel to about 20 sec into SC.

When I was talking to the roaster from Bliss a few weeks ago she said that most PNGs can be pushed well into second.

Ive found the Kimel easy to roast and if shes right then little damage would be done going a bit longer.

Id recommend stopping your first roast at SC then go 20 sec into SC for the next one.

See how those go first and decide if youd like to go to say 30 sec into SC for the next roast.

From there you should be able to decide what to do with the rest.

Comment

"How big is the dimension of a bloody Peaberry by the way"

In the range screen size 9 - 13,  or 3.5 to a bit over 5mm.

Thats according to

http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/summary_0199-1159765_ITM

which is probably more that you ever wanted to know about coffee
                        grading.

Comment

I take my PNG just into 2nd which happens at 170 .Fast cooling and stand for 48 hrs......mmmmmm.

Comment

PS

As for roast level, I think TG pretty well nailed it.

Pretty well all the PNGs Ive done (Kimel, PNG "A", peaberry) have
                            been in the 15/20 secs into SC region. That seems to give a good
                            flavour in keeping wth the character of the beans.

Would be interested to hear your results though if you do try a
                            range of roast levels. Keep meaning to do that myself but as they say
                            "if it works dont fix it" so I just end up doing it the same way as last
                            time

Comment

Thanks for the compliment hazbean.

I have tried stopping My Kimel at SC but think the resultant taste is a bit thin.
                              Maybe I dont apperciate the fruitiness as much as I like chocolate.

I rarely go to SC +30sec because they go oily too soon.
                              I can drink them right up to 3 weeks post roast without too much oiliness if I stop at SC +20 sec.

Everyone at work thats tried it at SC +20 sec has loved it.

Just like hazbean, if it works I dont change it.
                              I will occasionaly to experiment, but I know what to go back to if theres no improvement.

Comment

Working...
                              X