Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peru Grace Estate

What a great little bean.

Did my first roast of these from last bean bay (in popper).
    Easiest roast Ive ever done by the proverbial country mile.

Very clear and audible first cracks, a nice gap, then (something Ive been struggling with) very clear and audible second cracks.

Took it to 30 secs into rolling second @ 230 deg. I recalled getting these as brown beans from Andy and they were a nice dark roast. This mornings roast looks a good one (about CS 10-11) and smells great!

How long have others been taking this bean into RSC?

BTW, Ive been trying to attach single photos but keep getting this message:

NOTICE: If you had an attachment in your post, you will need to reselect the attachment again in the browse box for security reasons.

I think Im doing it right (although obviously not ;D), photos is a jpg file, 448 x 336 mm, 43.0kb.

What am I doing wrong? :-/

Greg

Re: Peru Grace Estate

You get that message when you hit the Preview button instead of the Post button.

Comment

Yeah, youre right, TG. Ill try going straight to post with this photo.

Hopefully,...

Comment

Thank you TG. Im an embarrassment to my children :-[ .

Photo is this mornings Popper Peru.

Sorry about the morning sunshine.

Comment

mmmm... yum! About to roast mine for the first time thismorning in BM.

Will let you know how I go.

Comment

Nice roast, should cup nicely too, dont forget to tell us how you go brewing it.

Javabeen.

Comment

Hi all,

Bit late getting back on this.

Let these beans sit about 1 week. Went a bit too oily, still brewed up ok. Nice chocolaty taste although slight burnt hint.

Ive pulled back a bit from the dark side, going up to 15 sec max into rolling second. Not as dark but not getting oily.

Ive been getting early blonding but (say, about 10-15 secs) not only on Peru but all my beans. Very frustrating. Its only really started since I switched from buying brown to roasting in the popper. Could this be a popper thing? Or a roasting technique thing? Ive tried up-dosing, down-dosing, etc. I havent changed my extraction technique (I dont think).

Im now pulling my shots shorter and still getting bitterness.

Comment

Gday Greg,

My experience with the revered PGE is to never roast beyond the CS9-10 region as this brings out the best in my view..... Basically, this equates to about 4:30 minutes past 1st-Crack in my Corretto and well shy of the first snaps of 2nd-Crack. They tend to go ashy very quickly so the best idea is, leave 2nd-Crack for those really tough little Ethiopian and Yemen varieties and play nice with nearly all the rest....

Mal.

Comment

Thanks Mal,

I have pulled them back, was blowing holes in the poor little fellas. Doing medium roasts now - more caramelly (?).

Still getting that early blonding but. Dont know if its me, my machine, the beans (all different varieties) or the way Im roasting them. :P

Ethiopian eh?

Yemen eh?

Hmmm...thanks for the heads-up.

Greg.

Comment

Greg - what looks like early blonding may not be.

My Classic produces a crema that looks quite golden during the extraction, but once in the cup it is quite red/brown. Especially if the beans have only rested a few days. The crema does have the red/brown streaks in it too. It may just be your machine.

I know mine is due for a service and it is going in for one after xmas, when I have some money for it.

Comment

Im getting early blonding as well on just about anything Im brewing up. It must be Ambient Temp changes... not sure... I might drop the brew temp down to 92deg and see what happens.

Comment

You may be right Lucinda, and I am only resting my beans a day or 2 now (damn popper cant keep up with demand). Might get some Espresso Wow from Andy - just for scientific purposes : to see if it happens with that.

And I hadnt thought of ambient temp increase Marc. Good suggestion. It has coincided with the increase in temps around here. I havent PIDd my Lelit unfortunately, might try a bit more surfing.

Thanks guys.

Greg

Comment

Time to invest in a coretto as I was havoing much the same issue.

Am about to go out and do a roast now.

Not sure what I am going to roast though.

Comment

My first successful roast with these beans, roasted to around 8-9.My BM stopped the dough cycle around 23 min.

Tried some this morning after a 48 hour wait and was a bit dissapointed. Had it as a latte and found that it didnt cut through the milk.

Anyone else experience this? After drinking Andys WOW, I found this a little wanting.

Comment

Originally posted by expressman link=1193913160/0#13 date=1196663106
                              My first successful roast with these beans, roasted to around 8-9.My BM stopped the dough cycle around 23 min.

Tried some this morning after a 48 hour wait and was a bit dissapointed. Had it as a latte and found that it didnt cut through the milk.

Anyone else experience this? After drinking Andys WOW, I found this a little wanting.
                              Hehe...I imagine after trying Andys award winning coffee anything is going to taste "a little wanting". :

Dont know much about BM roasting though 8-9 after 23 minutes sounds like a long roast at a low temp. At a guess, your beans may not have roasted thoroughly so maybe move that HG a little closer and use a thermocouple to check your temps?

Comment

Working...
                              X