Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aceh Arabica

From the most recent bean bay.

Drinking this 4-7 days post roast (30 secs into 2nd crack IIRC) and I have found it deep, earthy and sweet, with a bit of bite that suggested some kind of alcohol. My mum suggested rum, but I wouldnt know. I suspect it will be even better by Day 10, though I doubt Ill get to find out, only a few shots left in this batch.

Re: Aceh Arabica

Sounds good Michelle, I pick mine up tomorrow and look forward to getting it into Corretto and tasting the results in a few days!!

Comment

Aceh Arabica--anyone tried it yet?

I roasted 500g of Aceh from last bb this morning 1stcrack at 10.30 2nd at 16.55 to CS9ish, nice and even.
      Has anyone tried this bean yet, Ill wait at least 2 days before I try it......maybe!!!

Comment

Sorry about the duplication Java.

Comment

If it were rum, Id say Captain Morgans.

Ive been roasting mine fairly light, and the earthiness is subdued. It has, however, brought out a spicy sweetness, that I quite like. A bit like plum and cardamom.

Comment

I am keen to roast this soon...Im not a big rum drinker Nunu...whats the comparison in Vodka...Anyrusskysoundingnameavoch....Stolly....Fi nlandia....Gray Goose?

Cheers

Comment

Im drinking this one right now as an espresso. I took this into rolling SC with just a few drops of oil coming to the surfaces. So maybe a CS10 rating.

A lovely reddish copper colour. Very earthy and is also nice in milky coffees. No chocolate here (well not for me anyway) but it still holds some sweetness to it. I think this is how it balances the eathiness out.

At CS 10 you can just start to taste a little burnt ashiness to it as an espresso but only mild. If this is not your taste then make sure you pull from the roaster before any signs of oil surfacing. Maybe CS 9 maxium.

Overall Im enjoying it and will try this a little on the lighter side to try as a plunger.

Comment

I sampled the Aceh this morning 3 days post-roast CS9--espresso with 30ml water, plenty of golden/reddy crema lovely and smooth, not acidic, rich earthy taste, good mouthfeel and lingering aftertaste, love it!!

Comment

I roasted 500gms on Sunday 1cr 13min, 2nd cr15min and pulled roast at 17min and the smell was fantastic it just stuck to my clothes like you know what to a blanket.The beans looked to me to be a bit motled,but cant wait to try them.

Comment

Originally posted by martybean link=1207200120/0#8 date=1208260819
                    I roasted 500gms on Sunday 1cr 13min, 2nd cr15min and pulled roast at 17min and the smell was fantastic it just stuck to my clothes like you know what to a blanket.The beans looked to me to be a bit motled,but cant wait to try them.
                    With this variety martybean, the best of the bean seems to be acquired when Rolling FC occurs at around 10-11 minutes and the first snaps of SC around 16-17 minutes and pulled then cooled. Never allow them to go too much beyond this as they quickly lose a lot of their intrinsic character.

Cheers,
                    Mal.

Comment

This one is sweet also tatrtyness that perhaps reminds me of red grapefriut not sour or bitter but citrusy but not lemon .Found the crema didnt last long and not strong enough to pull through milk .However it could be to fresh ,but I like it very much.

Comment

Im not sure what I did to my second batch, but they were really quite sour. I did a lighter roast than the first time, I think I pulled them at the first few snaps of second crack, and yeah, theres a really unpleasant sourness to them, even at a week post-roast. Definitely a sourness thats quite different to a higher level of acidity. If you know what I mean...

Any ideas why?

Comment

Gday Michelle,

Unfortunately, "I think I pulled them at the first few snaps of second crack" doesnt really tell us much about the whole roasting profile you used :-?, so if you can describe the entire profile, Im sure we will be able to help you out much more,

Cheers ,
                          Mal.

Comment

Sorry Mal,

Umm, Gene cafe, 5 min at 150, then ramped up to 237. FC at around 15min, SC at about 17.5min. From memory ...

I usually drop the temp to 210 at rolling 1st then ramp it back up after around 2-3 mins to go into 2nd but I mustve been lazy or distracted with these ones :-[

Comment

Hmmm,

I think youre over complicating the roast somewhat with that very long "drying out" phase and following this up with a very long ramp up to FC.

I know a lot of people swear by the need for drying out the beans before getting stuck into the roast proper, but Ive never found that this improves the taste "in the cup" where it counts, so eventually dropped this from my routine a few years ago. I guess if you still want to run the dry-out, I would reduce the temperature quite a bit, maybe down to 100-110C, after all water boils at 100C A.S.L. so you dont really need to go much over this.

Regarding the roast proper, you need to make sure that you maintain a positive thermal gradient at all times, right up until you stop the roast and cool the beans. The gradient towards FC should be such that you achieve Rolling FC at 11-12 minutes from the start (not including the dry-out phase if you still want to use this), reduce the gradient towards SC so that you achieve the first few snaps of SC about 5-6 minutes after this. Thats not to say that you actually need to take the roast that far, just that this is the preferred gradient to use. For my palate, I much prefer to stop the roast for this type of bean at about CS9 and before SC even starts. Makes for a much more interesting brew in the cup in my opinion.

The thing you really need to be careful of, regardless of the method you use for roasting, is to NEVER allow the roast to stall (maintain a temperature plateaux) or even worse, allow the roast to head into a thermal decline. This will really kill the beans and produce a roast outcome that tastes absolutely awful, reminiscent of a batch that has been baked rather than roasted.

I havent used a Gene before so I am unsure of the thermal dynamics of this particular roaster so perhaps someone with successful experience can assist you with determining the temperature settings to use in order to attain the gradients referred to above. Its a bit of mucking around at first but once youve got this aspect of roasting under control you will realise an immense improvement with regard to flavour in the cup.

All the best Michelle, and have fun....
                              Mal.

Comment

Working...
                              X