Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brazil Ipanema Reserva Especial

What a great looking bean!!!

Got home from my holiday and had my two latest purchases from Bean Bay waiting for me so roasted a batch of each last Wednesday.

These roasted beautifully in the Gene, very even and clean and second crack was accompanied by a great puff of smoke. Pulled just after this.

Given Andys comments on Bean Bay I roasted them to CS10. Got a hint of nuts in the aroma when I ground them this morning but not in the cup. Will give them another day and report back.

Anybody else had a go yet?

Re: Brazil Ipanema Reserva Especial

Well, just had an espresso, talk about almonds. :P

Reminded me of the movies where they know the source of poisoning because of the smell of almonds. This was not only in the cup but very strongly on the tongue. Really even spread and smooth with no bitterness.

Quite a distinctive taste from anything I have had previously. Going to be interesting in blends.

Comment

I roasted this 1 last week straight after I picked them up .Great looking roast very clean and little or no chaff remaining on beans, roasted about C/S 10 as well cant wait to try them

Comment

Well Ive been using these since Sunday and at this roast level i didnt get any nuts but i did take the roast welll into 2nd crack, I got a fair bit of spiceyness quite a strong coffee , I think I will have to roast them lighter and see what happens.Reminds a lot of an Italian style espresso.

Comment

I have nearly finished drinking the first batch and while the dry aroma of nuts is still there, the wet aroma is not so evident and the distinctive nutty taste has dropped off. (I dont think I sealed my one way bag properly and didnt notice for a day or two, so this may have contributed. :-/)

I am going to roast another batch this week and take them just to the start of second crack to see how they go.

Very nice though for a single origin. I just love their clean lines and shape.

Comment

This is a great bean. I did it as a FC at 12.5mins and 188 degrees and then slowly (5.5mins) to Second Crack and it was rolling slightly just as I was dropping them...no oil at all.

I have roasted this one before a little differently, and it was very good, but Im hoping that this will be a great profile for this one.

Cheees

Comment

I had the first cup tonight with my wife...the double poured into the cups starting with a very quick 2 drips per side and then into a syrupy pour, but very large and bubbling slightly....it needs to be tightened a little (only a whisker). Fantastic colour, but that will improve even more with a little tightening. I had it as a 15 second pour in a traditional small side flat white with no fat milk and it really was very good. I will tighten the grind tomorrow AM and report back with notes.

Cheers

Comment

Sounds interesting Oz..... Looking forward to future cupping notes

Mal.

Comment

I landed up with enormous crema, beans were pulled at first SC. Been drinking it all week with overall flavours intensifying as it aged. Mild at 3 days, much stronger at 7 days. I found it best extracted to full length as opposed to ristretto (unusual for me). Cant describe tastes well enough yet, but I like it and Ill be ordering more greens when they become available to blend perhaps 70/30 with something else in the future.

Comment

Working...
                  X