Indian Kappi Royale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Kappi Royale

I am not enjoying this one at all so I was wondering if anyone else is having any success roasting it?

This is a strange one. Despite a few very very faint cracks, this bean didnt display any First and Second cracks. I thought I must have missed it so I dumped it after 20 minutes (a usual roast time on my hottop roaster). It became obvious that it hadnt been roasted long enough (CS6) as it was undrinkable.

The second roast was the same. No cracks. This time I roasted it a little longer till they were around CS9 in colour. I left it for a few days and whilst better than the first it was less than ordinary.

I havent had a bean that doesnt crack before. Does this mean something?

Re: Indian Kappi Royale

Hi Anthony

I love the Kapi - on its own or blended!

Certainly not as loud as some beans during 1st and 2C, but there just the same. 20 minutes in the roaster with an outcome of CS6 sounds very much like there was inadequate heat throughout the roast, rather than anything to do with the beans.

I like to roast them to about 20sec into 2C and rest them for 12 days before using them. As a robusta I tend to find they improve with age - but thats just my preference.

Comment

I will try a 3rd time but I certainly didnt get any first or second cracks with the first 2 roasts so I have no reason to think a 3rd batch will. Its like they are stale or something which I am sure is not the case. Very strange this one but I am determined to crack it... and knowing yours worked out ok means there is hope in this bean yet. Mind you, after the yemen these poor buggers have a lot to live up to.

Comment

Well, if it doesnt work for you on take 3, you can always grind it and blend it with that chocolate youve been making! ;D

Comment

I cant face the work involved in making another batch of chocolate just yet. I am still trying to track down a cheap wet grinder to make life easier. :-/

Comment

I cant drink that stuff by itself, but it is absolutely fantastic in a classic Italian style espresso blend.....

It also produces a huge amount of crema.....

Comment

Hiya Anthony. I reckon hang on to it and use it in blends, as others have said. I use it in almost every blend Im gonna drink as espresso - it gives abit of extra oomph!
              I use it to about 10-15% - then it doesnt over shadow the other beans you are using in the blend. This is a premium Robusta - better used as part of a blend than drunk as an SO.
              If you want some hints on blending - see the blending threads here, or check out http://<span style="color:#cc0000">w...ng.html</span> for some good pointers.
              Cheers and good luck - Anthony

Comment

I must admit that I havent tried blending anything and generally roast as a single origin. I guess I dont have any blending know how so I will read some blending posts to see what I can achieve with the various beans I have.

That said, I am troubled on two fronts.

1. This bean still doesnt crack. I dont understand why. It sounds like I am the only one. The beans I have are from the last beanbay and are stored with all other beans I roast.

2. If a bean doesnt work as a single origin, why blend it? Wouldnt it be better to blend beans that can stand on their own?

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony Hansen link=1211242344/0#7 date=1211328002
                  If a bean doesnt work as a single origin, why blend it? Wouldnt it be better to blend beans that can stand on their own?
                  Good Question.
                  The idea behind blending is to create a sum which is greater than its parts.
                  So if you have one been that has lovely warm chocolately sweetness but lacks depth, you might blend it with a bean that has some different characteristics (like berry fruit or spice). If the blend is right and well executed, this will give a little more depth to the cup profile without detracting from either beans positive attributes.
                  The beans Andy selects are almost exclusively top notch specialty coffees and therefore - in my opinion - better enjoyed as an SO.
                  So why blend?
                  2 reasons. 1 - An exercise in learning. The more I experiment and tinker with blends and roasting in general, the more I learn. 2 - Everyones palette is different. What to you may be the perfect coffee, may - to my taste buds - lack a certain something (or vice-versa). Everytime I have a stock of a bean that I feel lacks a certain something, I try to blend it to see if I can improve its flavour profile a little (to my subjective taste ofcourse).
                  ...its a bit like looking for the holy-grail really!
                  Cheers - Anthony

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony Hansen link=1211242344/0#7 date=1211328002
                    This bean still doesnt crack. I dont understand why. It sounds like I am the only one. The beans I have are from the last beanbay and are stored with all other beans I roast.
                    ...ohh, and I cant shed any light on that..Ive never actually roasted it on its own...sorry!
                    Cheer once more,
                    Anthony

Comment

The yemen bean is my holy grail. Magnificent either as an espresso or with milk and no need to blend. If I could find a blend within my other beans that could come close to that then I would be very happy.

Comment

I have so far had two attempts at roasting this bean, primarily to use in blends.

Roast wise, first crack didnt seem very obvious compared to most Arabicas, and they took lots of heat to maintain the roast progression.....first attempt was my longest roast ever to date at 19 min20sec

First thing I took note of was to give them a 2 week rest before I used them.
                        (apparently they can taste awful if not rested for long enough).
                        I did try them as SO after 2 weeks and they were really nice, very smooth and slightly nutty from memory, although did need a relatively fine grind.

Tried them in a few blends, and they gave a nice boost, even up to 20%.
                        Think my best one was approx 40% Brazil/40% Costa Rica/20%Kappi, from memory good balanced flavour, good crema, terrific either as espresso or in latte.

Bullitt

Comment

Well I am getting more success. It still doesnt display much of a first or second crack (almost non existent and my roaster is quiet) but by roasting to colour and not to sound and letting it rest longer it is producing much better results. In fact, as stratford pointed out it produces a mass of crema. I am going to roast another batch and leave it for 2 weeks and see how I go. My opinion is definately changing on this one... if I could only hear those blasted cracks!

Incidentally, I added some yemen that I had over roasted a week ago and the two together has produced a surprisingly good drop. The over roasted yemen definately filled the gaps missing in the Kappi royale. My first blend!

Comment

Anthony,

As a simple example of a nice espresso blend, try 10% Kappi with a good Brazil. It evokes memories of Melbournes coffee shops in the 60s...and I mean that in a nice way!

Happy roasting..

Comment

Just gave this ago on its own, thanks to the advice here.
                              Its 4 days now and still a bit lively on its own but not offensive at all in milk. I will heed the comments here and wait a bit longer but so far so good.
                              The best part was the visual, in the botton of the flat white cup the shot looked almost like it had a cap or crust on (like turkish in a ibrik).

I made a blend of 6 beans that all had chocolate cupping notes, and guess what it tasted like chocolate... lol, too much in fact, but mixed 50/50 with the Kappi and its all good.

Enjoy CB.

Comment

Working...
                              X