Sulawesi Toraja

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sulawesi Toraja

Just tried this fabulous bean from the Brown Bean Bay. This has to be one of the best, most interesting but balanced SOs Ive ever had, including other Torajas. Have had it as an espresso and long black, and cant wait to see what the Cona does with it. As a long black, the crema was bursting with flavour, no bitterness at all, the acidity was marked but I would describe it as kiwifruit, because it has a very mellow, round, concentrated feel on the tongue, as opposed to a sharper citrus. The dark chocolate was there in abundance, but equalled by a slightly peppery, slightly clove-like spiciness which I absolutely love in a Sulawesi when I find it. The acid is perfectly balance by marked sweetness at the start - if this were all there was, it would be first-rate, but this is beautifully offset by the chocolate and spice. Body? Very full and velvety. No earthiness to speak of in my cup. To me, a perfect balance of highs and lows, with a lovely soft centre.

Espresso: pretty well maintained all of these features, but compressed. Acids a little sharper, but still very pleasant and fruity, very long finish and aftertaste.

Cant believe this is an SO - Ive had blends that are plainer than this. If I were blending with it, I would simply be looking to pad out the layers so that the transitions were a bit smoother and complexity expanded. But, to get this many layers in one coffee and keep it balanced is some achievement.

Andy, youre a master! :-*

matt

Re: Sulawesi Toraja

Great description Matt! I too am a lover of the Toraja, for all those complex characters you noted. Ive blended it with PNG Kinjibi (60% Sulawesi/40% PNG), with lovely results ... the PNG smoothened the results somewhat, adding a honey-like sweetness. Worked wonders with milk also.

Tony

Comment

Smoothened - great word GoD, can I borrow it?

Yes, I have yet to try the Toraja in milk. Maybe Friday morning.

Hmm, I can still taste it...

Like Andy says, it may not be the prettiest roast, but whos looking?

matt

Comment

Yep, ugly bean that belies the cupping ...

Yeah, you can use smoothened liberally Matt (until I TM it ;D) ... when you taste a great sweet SO like a premium PNG coupled with the Sulawesi - yum.

Tony

Comment

Glad you like it Matt.

We often come across beans that are ugly when green, ugly when roasted but work really well in the cup. The lesson there is something like your grandmothers saying of "never judge a book...."

You did the right thing, close your eyes and listen to the bean and...

Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Freeman link=1211959883/0#4 date=1211986497
            Glad you like it Matt.

We often come across beans that are ugly when green, ugly when roasted but work really well in the cup. The lesson there is something like your grandmothers saying of "never judge a book...."

You did the right thing, close your eyes and listen to the bean and...

Enjoy!

Absolutely correct Andy! the best example I can think of is the Sumatran Blue Batak, ugly as hell in the bean form but in the cup... OH MY GOD - I cant believe this is coffee.

And vise versa the Columbian Supremo (no idea what origin) I had the other day had a very large, well sorted look to it. And smells really nice after roasting. The cup? absolutely disappointing. It had no character, no flavour and no body. Those farmers should be ashamed of themselves for selling this sort of beans. (its a joke! ;D ;D ;D)

Comment

Im about to do batch in the corretto. Any suggestions on the best profile and when to pull it in relation to the SC?

Cheers,

sd

Comment

Disregard the above...I found the previous thread. Cheers.

Comment

Just tried Toraja 2 days post roast, took roast to rolling second crack at CS10.
                  Tried as espresso with 30ml hot water, very smooth, intense chocolate notes, viscous mouthfeel and rich lingering aftertaste, I wont be blending this baby!!

Comment

Originally posted by greenman link=1211959883/0#8 date=1220411634
                    Just tried Toraja 2 days post roast, took roast to rolling second crack at CS10.
                    Tried as espresso with 30ml hot water, very smooth, intense chocolate notes, viscous mouthfeel and rich lingering aftertaste, I wont be blending this baby!!
                    Going to take this baby to sleep with me tonight. ;D ;D ;D
                    I would probably blend it with a little bit of Yirgacheffe for a bit of high note. But its so perfect as a single origin.

Comment

Hi all,

We cupped this yesterday, so here are my notes:
                      Roast: slow and even (in Corretto). Got to FC at 14:15, dropped the heat and coasted to SC at 21:10. We left it to crackle for 20 seconds before pulling it at around CS10. Incidentally, this was out final successful roast before the HG died - but it was under warranty so were cool with that!
                      Aroma: deep with fruit (lychee?), vanilla, a tart aroma, spice.
                      Crust: wood, vanilla, choc/caramel, spicy, berry fruit.
                      Flavour: sweet, spicy, choc, vanilla, subtle fruity, cleansing acidity, wood and smoke.
                      Acidity: clean and subtle but fruity.
                      Body/Mouthfeel: full body, smooth mouthfeel with some late astringency.
                      Aftertaste: sweet dark choc/wood.

We cupped it alongside Gambella Sundried (also from August BeanBay), and I thought there were some similarities between the two coffees. The Sulawesi, though, had more acidity and it was more articulated (ie. fruity rather than just acidic). The Sulawesi was also less "rounded" compared to the Gambella - ie. Rante Kapuas flavours were less blended together, if that makes sense. It also had a large disparity between aroma and flavour compared to the Gambella... though I dont know what that implies, if anything!

Hope that helps someone.
                      Cheers
                      Stuart.

Comment

Working...
                      X