Malawi Mzuzu Khanga Gesha AA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malawi Mzuzu Khanga Gesha AA

Hints of mandarin and a touch of what could only be described as fairy floss.

Well see how this one develops over the next few days.

Re: Malawi Mzuzu Khanga Gesha AA

What was your roast profile like Nunu?

Just doing a btach now, stopped it before SC ...

Comment

Good stuff.
      Im doing a batch tonight after work.

Nunu: Fairy-floss?

Comment

Preheat to 165, drop beans, heat to 179, cut heat ~3 mins, cool.

Might not mean a whole lot unless you use my roaster

Fairy floss = cotton candy.

Comment

CS colour??

Comment

Originally posted by Wine_of_the_Bean link=1214430750/0#3 date=1214441197
            Might not mean a whole lot unless you use my roaster .
            Is that an invite?

Comment

mmm...bout 9 ish.

Comment

Roasted to about CS 9, I am also getting hints of mandarin and chocolate, with nice body and a great grind aroma that fills the house. I love this bean!  

Comment

Yep, this is another great African bean for sure. Ive still got some left over from a previous BeanBay/Poll (it was a while ago :) and it still produces roast outcomes like this..... beautiful bean 8-)

Link to some background info on the Malawi Coffee Project(s), quite interesting... http://base.d-p-h.info/en/fiches/dph...-dph-7069.html

Mal.

Comment

Just had my first shot of this.

I agree with the mandarins (power of suggestion?)! Lots of mandariny-orangey-peel-ness!

Syrupy sweetness, lovely bright acidity. Cant wait to cup this properly.

Comment

Ok, had a go at this one this morning:

Dry fragrance: orange/mandarine, chocolate, a light sweetness, and something slightly floral and light

Aroma: mandarine, or other orange-skinned citrus fruit; dark chocolate; and a rich, almost cloying sweetness.

Flavour: mandarine, orange, slight chocolaty note, some pineapple as it cooled, and an almost lolly-like sweetness.

The acidity was bright, a citrus-fruit-tang, but without straying into sourness. The body was medium, and ever so slightly creamy; the aftertaste fresh and fruity.

As an espresso - juicy mandarine, syrupy sweetness and bright acidity.

I like.

Comment

Excellent cupping notes Michelle..... 8-)

I can imagine that if this bean becomes available again there is going to be a stampede by members to jag a bag or two . You must have really nailed the roast as well Michelle, for it to deliver such a wide spectrum of flavours and aromas; might have to dig through my stash this weekend and roast up a batch, youve got the old taste buds going, thats for sure...... ;D

Mal.

Comment

I tried some of this between 3-5 days after roasting, and it really wasnt doing it for me. Im not the best at describing what I taste, but agree with the bright acidity, sweetness comments. No chocolate flavours for me. I was getting an unpleasant lingering aftertaste. It really didnt go with milk. 8 days in and i had not had any for 3 days, and was wondering what I was going to do with 2 more kilos of the bean. I had a bit more roasted up, and was ready to toss them in the bin. Instead I decided to try and improve my macchiarti! My artwork was off, but I gave it a sip and I was very pleasantly surprised. It was a lot better, and went well with milk. It surprised me that it could change so much over 3 days. That comes to my question - is it common for beans to go in milk better after more resting?

Comment

I tried some of this today.

Quite impressed with this bean for espresso. It shows variance when roasted at different parameters (not by me, on a commercial roaster) .

Balanced but bright acidity, hints of chocolate at the end, good aromatics in the grinds and cup. Good body for a single origin

Wish I had got some last beanbay, but was overseas.

Does well in a traditional cupping too.

Comment

Hi all - Im going to roast my 1st batch of these tomorrow, does anyone (like Mal!!) feel like giving up some of thier secrets by sharing a detailed roast profile?

I loved the last batch of Malawi (pambawamba), so I have high expectations of this one.
                              My notes told me that a 12min ramp to 1st and pulling at the start of 2nd was the way to go with the Pambawamba - is this one the same?

Thanks in anticipation
                              Anthony

Comment

Working...
                              X