Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cote dIvoire Red African Cocoa

how do you like yours?

i tested it just this afternoon. it was brilliant.

1x teaspoon cocoa
    1x teaspoon brown sugar
    very little full cream milk

froth the milk, mix cocoa and brown sugar. pour little milk, mix thorougly and pour the rest of the milk.

Re: Cote dIvoire Red African Cocoa

Similarly.

1 tsp cocoa
    1/2 tsp dark muscovado sugar

Dissolve cocoa and sugar in a little hot water. Steam milk and pour into cocoa mix.

Yum

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle link=1217763868/0#1 date=1217764223
      Similarly.

1 tsp cocoa
      1/2 tsp dark muscovado sugar

Dissolve cocoa and sugar in a little hot water. Steam milk and pour into cocoa mix.

Yum
      very well. surprisingly nice isnt it

Comment

what is surprising about quality products coming from CS?
        ;-)

We too are having fun playing around with different sugars in the cocoa. The results are vastly different... and I would like to try a few "blind" sometime to see how much of the results are psychological

Comment

I find with brown sugar you can also have it as a milk shake, all other sugars dont dissolve and remain grainy. I spose you could also use sugar syrup if you had any lying around (for those cocktail connoisseur amongst us).

yumm.

Comment

had another one this afternoon. tried using small cup with 1 teaspoon of cacao & 1 demerara sugar & steam milk.

result amazing. bitter, sweet symphony...

Comment

ahhh yes, I havent had the pleasure of this cocoa yet but Im eager to get some.. I had some wonderful dutched cocoa from the Margaret River in WA recently.. its awesome making your own iced chocolate, it seems almost healthy since you know exactly what your putting in!! One spoon of sugar, one of cocoa, and milk, thats it! No colours or copious amounts of sugar.. nice and simple.

Appart from my beloved dark brown sugar, I also like to experiment with spices.. a touch of cassia, nutmeg, vanilla extract etc.. in a massively pig sized glass full to the brim with ice.. ohhh yeah!

: )

love it.

Comment

i made chioccola italiana with the cacao.
                it was perfect

recipe is
                1 tablespoon of cacao
                1 or 2 tablespoon of sugar depending your sweettooth
                1 teaspoon of corn flour
                1 glass of milk

mix corn flour with drops of water to get it blended together. pour it over the cacao and put in on medium fire. when near boil pour the milk andbring it to boil and youll notice the glossy mixture.

serve with whipped cream. delicioso...

Comment

I came across a jar of "Cadbury Cafe Blend" hot chocolate last week and was interested to read what was in it.

The punchline is only 22.5% cocoa.... and this is the premium cafe product if you read their hype.

Its also interesting to see of a 18g serve they estimate there is 21.9g of sugar in it. (maybe Im reading the packet wrong)?

I think Im pretty happy with the Red African cocoa thanks Mr Cadbury!

Comment

Thats just disgraceful ... Its full of all sorts of crap too, anti-caking agent, fake vanilla, salt, why the hell would you want salt in your cocoa!? hah. I find this really annoying.. no doubt Cadbury charges through the roof for this crap too..

Comment

Back to the Cote dIvoire though, Ive read that most of the worlds cocoa comes from this region.. the country is rife with slave/child labour and human trafficking. A lot of organisations and companies etc try to promote awareness etc.. but in the end how do we really know what were buying? Does the company that sells this Cote dIvoire Red African Cocoa have any sort of statement about its cocoa not coming from slave labour etc?
                      I dont wanna put a dampener on it, but Id just like to know really.. I havent bought some yet, but I will next month if its available, .. and Id like a clear conscious

Comment

Your taste buds dont have a conscience Rolley. Ive just ordered some hopefully arriving today and I admit I didnt know about the claims of child slavery. There is a few Wikipedia articles about it and the ILO are checking out.

The dilemma is do you boycott the product and hurt the CdI economy or do you use the product knowing its the best and ignore the ethical part or do we find some way to try to help the situation.

It sounds like there may be some basis to the claims of child slavery but do we have all the facts?

Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economics_of_cocoa

and

http://fairtrade-chocolate.org/

Comment

It is a concern worth thinking about.
                          When I used to work for Cadburys, there was quite a bit of stuff kicking around on this subject.
                          What was being put out to staff then (2005) was that they source a majority of their cocoa from Ghana and were working towards some kind of program to improve the general conditions/price for the farmers there. However, its all just words really. Internal comms always tend to paint a rosy picture with the hope that you will go forth and spread the word to all your friends and family. In the end, I had no way to verify what they were saying and had no idea if the cocoa being purchased was coming from any farms with slave/child labour.
                          A quick search found some references to the Cadbury Cocoa Partnership
                          http://blogs.smh.com.au/business/executivestyle/innovator/archives/2008/02/youve_got_to_hand_it.html
                          I realise its not focussing on the Ivory Coast, but thought it was worth a look.

I like the title - Is fair trade ever Fairtrade? (although I think it would read better as Is Fairtrade ever fair trade?)

Brett.

Comment

This is definitely deja vu. It feels like only last week we were discussing profits over people on a similar thread

Comment

... try to make ends meet, youre a slave to the money then you die...

[just in reference to an earlier post]

Id say this cocoa powder has verve!

Comment

Working...
                              X