Snobby Chai -  Chai Spice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snobby Chai -  Chai Spice!

Im excited to announce that after nearly 12 months of trying Chai we have sourced the perfect blend of Chai Spices.

Most of the instant chai mixes that you get in cafes are like, errr, well, umm, like instant coffee is to fresh beans!

Now in BeanBay (should always be available) you will find what we think is the perfect mix of pure spices to make your own Chai at home. The supplier has a long history of making and selling this Chai at markets and this is the blend that they have found to work the best. I managed to stumble across this one in Nimben in November and knew it was exactly what we had been looking for.

It contains Cinnamon Quills, Cinnamon Bark, Cardamom, Cloves, Nutmeg, Ginger, Bay Leaves, Black Pepper and Star Anise
    ...nothing but spice, no additives, no dairy, no sugar, no caffeine!

Snobby Chai - $16 for 200g will make about 50 serves.
    http://beanbay.coffeesnobs.com.au/ViewProduct.aspx?ID=251

Re: Snobby Chai -  Chai Spice!

Sounds great Andy - Ive been looking for a good chai for the new shop, though reading the directions, it takes a while to prepare. :-/

While Im sure it would be worth the wait, do you know if it would be ok to pre-brew or make a concentrate that perhaps could be refrigerated?

Cheers!

Comment

Hay there Andy, merry Christmas and happy new year. You look like youve lost weight. I will get some of this chai, the wife loves it.

Comment

Excuse my ignorance but what the hell is chai spice?

Comment

Hey all - Im interested in getting 200 grams but would be keen to do a joint order with other West Aussies as I think if we have them all come in the same pack we may be able to save on postage. Also gives us an excuse for a New Year meet-up.

Comment

While Im sure it would be worth the wait, do you know if it would be ok to pre-brew or make a concentrate that perhaps could be refrigerated?
            Pre-brew is certainly the way to go! The directions in BeanBay and on the packet is for making a couple of serves but what I did the other day was to make 10 times the quantity in one batch.

10 cups of water, 10 tablespoons of Chai and simmer on the stove in a deep "wok-like" frypan. I actually reduced the mixture into a concentrate, strained through a cloth and keep it in a bottle in the fridge.

You can then just spash a shot of the concentrate into a cup, add steamed milk and drink. I found it didnt need sugar (with good, sweet steamed milk) but others might.

I have no idea on the shelf life of the brew but without milk it should last a long time in the fridge.

I will get some of this chai, the wife loves it
            I bet she will like this one the best. I certainly found that the powdered instant Chais has a plastic / chemical / fake flavouring taste that I didnt like.

...what is chai spice?
            All the spices that you need to make the best Chai Latte!

As above, it contains Cinnamon Quills, Cinnamon Bark, Cardamom, Cloves, Nutmeg, Ginger, Bay Leaves, Black Pepper and Star Anise.

You can follow the directions and make a spicy Chai Latte that is caffeine-free or if you want you can make it with 50% tea / 50% spice.

I also made some using the Ceylon English Breakfast Tea from BeanBay and it worked really well. The beauty of natural, traditional Chai is that you can play with the recipe to get something that suits your own taste.

...would be keen to do a joint order with other West Aussies as I think if we have them all come in the same pack we may be able to save on postage.
            The other option is just wait until the mid Jan BeanBay GREEN sale when you can freight it for $1.

...of course a New Year get together makes sense too!

Comment

The (trans-nullabor) oxen are slow, but the earth is patient.

I shall wait for the Chai. . .

Comment

Hey Grendel
                My wife thinks I cant make coffee for sh!t so this may help redeem myself, I would go in for 200g with you

Comment

Sure Aus - Im likely to order in January bean bay, I can double up that order if you want 200g. As for your coffee making technique - that is what we are all here to help with!

Comment

Andy,

What sort of cloth did you use to strain it with, was it just ordinary cheese cloth?

Sounds ok, would like to try something a little different than the powdered mix I have...(although where I sourced it from isnt too bad )

-Linda

Comment

Originally posted by Linda link=1230522359/0#9 date=1231118998
                      Andy,

What sort of cloth did you use to strain it with, was it just ordinary cheese cloth?

Sounds ok, would like to try something a little different than the powdered mix I have...(although where I sourced it from isnt too bad )

-Linda

Linda,

I cant vouch for what sort of cloth Andy uses as a strainer--but--whenever I need to strain anything like that I use a square of that nylon/terylene scrim curtaining. Its great, strong, doesnt soak up any mixture, and rinses clean easily.

I regularly use it for making coconut milk and for steaming sticky rice.

Greg

Comment

I found another use for Coffeesnobs green coffee cotton bags

...although Gregs nylon curtains make more sense.

Cheese cloth would be fine, you could even use a tea strainer. I guess it depends on how many "bits" are acceptable in the end result and I doubt that some spice roughage in the chai latte would matter... in fact it gives it some cred as a natural product.

Comment

Utterly yummy, especially as I dont like black tea! Makes a lovely evening milk drink before bed.

I steeped a batch for a group this evening and used a typical colander, then tea strainer, which worked well. As it wasnt at my house we didnt have steamed milk, so we followed packet directions for the stovetop. We only needed a hint of sugar (1/4 tsp per mug) to enhance the flavour.

Thanks Andy for another quality product. My interstate guests took a quantity home in the original packaging - but not before Id surreptitiously taken out a generous few doses for myself ;D.

Comment

A whiff of these spices when they arrived made me want to shut the shop early and brew up a batch of syrup.

Managed to hold out till 4 this afternoon and as you can guess, our place now smells like an exotic temple.

Now back at the shop, texturised some of the syrup with milk, and well....this is just DIVINE!

What a great find Andy...thankyou!

Comment

Ive had snobby chai in the shop for a couple of weeks now and the customers love it!

It seems however that the 3 guys from India who work for me love it also!
                              And are drinking more than their fair share!

It works well refrigerated as a concentrate and i have noticed no discernible change in flavour or quality over 2 weeks, as I made 3x2 litre concentrates on the first day.

Note though, that is very worth while simmering for 20 or more minutes (i did 20 mins on the first 30 on the second and 40 on the third batch and added some more water because of condensation) and the complexity of flavour is very much more enhanced with the longer time.
                              mmmmmmmm it really is a great blend of spice.

Craig.

Comment

Working...
                              X