Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guatemala Huehuetenango SHB

Hey Andy,

Can you suggest some roast times for this one please. ie FC, RFC and if youd push it into/start of SC.

I just did a roast and not sure about it, might have gone toooo long. FC 15m12s/205c, SC 24m10s/220   and pulled it right there. Nice even roast, stretched it out since its a SHB (Strictly Hard Bean?). Oh, and cos I forgot to put the lid on the corretto :

Just as a guide please Andy.

Javabeen.

Re: Guatemala Huehuetenango SHB

Originally posted by 505B4C5B585F5F543A0 link=1237463684/0#0 date=1237463684
    Hey Andy,

Can you suggest some roast times for this one please. ie FC, RFC and if youd push it into/start of SC.

I just did a roast and not sure about it, might have gone toooo long. FC 15m12s/205c, SC 24m10s/220   and pulled it right there. Nice even roast, stretched it out since its a SHB (Strictly Hard Bean?). Oh, and cos I forgot to put the lid on the corretto  :

Just as a guide please Andy.

Javabeen.
    Hi Javabeen,

Andy roasts on a 10kg roaster. The roast times and profiles on his roaster will have little if any relevance whatsoever to what happens on your kit.

Looking at the numbers, I reckon you *may* be at risk of baked beans. The answer will however be in the cupping.

Best bet is to try two or three different approaches, document what you do and let the results in the cup and your palate choose whats best for you. Thats what Andy would be doing Id guess.

2mcm

Comment

Fair point there, what would you recommend?

What *might* baked beans taste like (other than baked beans) while I wait to *possibly* find out when I cup it?

Thanks 2mcm

Comment

Just did a roast of this in my Hottop and nearly had it run away. Went into first at 204 and nearly went exothermic so pulled out the top hatch and rear filter to lose a little heat. Coasted to SC at 209 degrees (enviro sensor). Roast time 19.50.

Interesting I did a roast of this one in Andys old Hottop D last Sunday and struggled to finish in 22 minutes.

Fair bit of chaff left over around the bean groove but nice even bean to roast.

Comment

Pretty nice looking roast there BF.

Can you explain the enviro sensor - you only have a 5 degree difference between FC and SC - is this a hottop thing??

Will cup this tomorrow and report back.

Happy roasting,
          Javabeen.

Comment

The Sensor sits above the bean mass in the roasting chamber and as such it reads different to a thermocouple buried in the beans corretto style.

For much the same reasons Chris mentioned above mine is different to yours is different to Andys etc. More important is time to first then the time between first and second and when to kill it. Based on a couple of 300g roasts I tried a while back the flavour suffered as the roasts were getting around the 22-23 minute mark.

BTW roast stopped at the first snaps of second crack.

Comment

Thanks for that BF.

Never taken a roast over 20 mins so will be interested to see what this one tastes like. I generally aim for FC 10-12 mins and SC at least 6mins later. This was an "accidental" roast in that I roasted without the lid on the corretto. I get more stable roast temps and better control roasting with a lid on.

Will try and do another roast of the weeweepoopoo ;D this weekend to have something to compare it to.

Let us know how yours cups BF.

Javabeen.

Comment

Interesting the time with this bean was a bit longer than i thought between FC - SC .
                1ST ROAST WAS UNDER ROASTED AND A BIT TOO FRUITY/ ACIDITY WASNT A PROBLEM..WAS OK
                19.5min Roast needed at least extra 30-45sec
                Probably should have droped the 150c drying time back to 3min and upped the temp. earlyer to shorten roast time .
                2nd roast was simular to first in that 2nd crack seemed to take ages to come . the beans were looking a bit dark ... but have noticed the importance now to having the corect lighting to geting the right colour... need to roast during the day with the sunlight a bit more will help

Comment

FWIW, Ive noticed that our Huehue (not SHB - from an earlier BeanBay) darkens to ~CS9 even before second crack. Kenya Rititi did that too. I wonder if its to do with the hardness (and therefore growing alititude) of the beans? Someone should pipe in here and say something wise about Maillard reactions! Both beans I mention seem to produce a lot of smoke, too.

Cheers
                  Stuart.

Comment

Im not impressed with this bean to date with long roast times.
                    I did another 2 roasts after my first:
                    -2nd one went to 21m/228c with FC @ 11m13s/209c.
                    -3rd one went to 18m14s/221 with FC @ 10m38s/206c and SC @ 18m10s/221.

Overall first 2 were pretty bland/boring profile for my palate. I was expecting from the third roast but nothing really, some sweetness and lite acidity but no other qualities punching through as an espresso and this is consuming each daily from 4 days till now.

Did a 4th roast tonight went to 16m39s/219c with FC @ 9m54/207c and first snaps of SC @ 16m30s/219.

Im finding I prefer 15-16m roast times in the corretto so thought Id shorten it to this and see how it goes. Would appreciate if anyone with knowledge about SHB beans and corretto roasting times chimes in and sheds some light about this.

BF, how are were your roasts?

Anyway off to make a Destoner as I found some very hard rocks and a small piece of metal in 2 of the roasts, so look out!

Happy roasting and cupping
                    Javabeen

Comment

Gday jb...

You sure are dragging out the time between FC and the onset of SC mate. Id try to shorten that down to a max of 5-6 minutes if possible as I think youre possibly running into "baked bean" territory....

Mal.

Comment

Hi Mal,

I generally aim for a min 6 mins between FC and SC as I thought this was the norm for corretto roasting? Or am I wrong here - happy to be and learn more :-)

Never tried for less than 6, maybe 5 mins between FC and SC.

So Mal, is 5-6 mins (and no more) between the FC and SC the general guide? Or do some origins respond better to shorter longer than 5-6 mins between FC and SC in your experience?

Javabeen.

Comment

Did a roast of Guatemalasn Hue ...in my Gene on the weekend and was realy happy with the end result . Have found that it roasts simular to the Png been i curently have both beens are quite dense being that they are grown at a hight alterrtude i guess
                          the roast went like this
                          150oC 4min then
                          250oC till 13 min
                          245oC FC 14.5
                          240oC at 17 min
                          Start SC at 18min
                          Droped 19min
                          Tast is smooth as But still need to refine the roast to aim for some stronger flavours ( more chocklet hopfuly) :P

Comment

The previous offering of this bean that I had I roasted it with a slower ramp up (corretto) and aimed to get to FC at 12-14 min mark being strictly hard beans. From FC to SC typically 5-6 minutes but I liked it best when I roasted it until it hit hit rolling second and then a bit more (pulled about 30 seconds after rolling second commences). The odd bean will have a drop of oil on it and after a few days rest more beans will have an oily sheen on it. It had an interesting chocolatey taste to it, not quite milk or dark chocolate but some sort of spiced chocolate for lack of a better description.

Comment

Originally posted by 2D26312625222229470 link=1237463684/11#11 date=1238930590
                              Hi Mal,

I generally aim for a min 6 mins between FC and SC as I thought this was the norm for corretto roasting? Or am I wrong here - happy to be and learn more :-)

Never tried for less than 6, maybe 5 mins between FC and SC.

So Mal, is 5-6 mins (and no more) between the FC and SC the general guide? Or do some origins respond better to shorter longer than 5-6 mins between FC and SC in your experience?

Javabeen.
                              Gday jb,

There are no hard and fast rules with roasting mate, it all comes down to your palate and how you prefer your coffee. From a bit of experimentation Ive done, it seems that the flavours that dominate a flavour profile are predetermined to a large extent by the roast profile used towards the onset of Rolling First Crack(RFC). This flavour profile is then further enhanced (or ruined) by the way one manages the "soak" period while RFC is bubbling away and tapers off, then the reduced gradient ramp towards Second Crack(SC).

Some beans, I prefer to push towards RFC a little harder than for others (maybe as early as 9 minutes in) to enhance some of the bright flavour characters of the bean.... If a bean is too bright for my palate, Ill stretch this period out a little bit (as much as 14 minutes for some) but always try to keep the gradient towards SC the same, regardless; never less than about 3:30 minutes from the end of RFC and never more than 5:30 minutes.

The name of the game is to experiment with your particular roast setup since no two systems are likely to be identical and try to find the sweet spot for the bean varieties you have. While youre doing this, try to keep batch sizes down to the smallest practical size, just sos you dont waste too many beans should some profiles turn out to be less than optimum, for your palate. And, keep good records of every roast you do, including meaningful (for you) cupping notes/impressions after the roast batch(es) have rested for a day or so in a bag thats open to the atmosphere - to allow an accelerated flavour profile to occur. I use an old Popper for this stage of experimenting and batch sizes of only 80-100g... Lot less waste this way

Hope some of this is helpful mate....

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                              X